Confusion over wild variations in step value

Hello!
I’m just a little confused and wondered if someone could explain to me why the step-based calorie adjustment varies so wildly. I am not using the negative calorie adjustment setting nor is my app linked to any devices, it’s just taking the iPhone step counter and converting that number directly to calories burned.
The problem is, some steps seem to be worth more than others? Pictures are included, any insight is appreciated.
Thanks!zwecalpqdo3i.jpeg
otn3tab614hb.jpeg

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    Strange. Unless the phone is picking up movements that aren't really steps (shuffling slightly in place, etc) then you would think they would at least be similar in calorie count. I'm not sure if an iPhone tracks distance as well as steps, but if it does you should see if that factors in.

10,000 steps is near 5 miles for most people, so it should be well over either estimate. For purposeful walking studies show that calories are about .3 x body weight x miles walked.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited May 2019
    Are some of those 10k steps generated on the elliptical? I would suspect that the calorie adjustment on MFP's end takes into account that they are, so that workout would be excluded from the adjustment. You could try making a note of whether your adjustment shrinks after you add an exercise. For instance: Here's yesterday, just an adjustment from Fitbit.
    x6dzjvsx90c1.png
    But part of my day included a 20 minute run; here's what the data looks like after I add that, manually.
    gd09poewyiqj.png

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    If steps in your second example are from your eliptical workout, which was logged separately, the device may be giving you calories for fewer of the steps. Which is what you want it to do, other wise you would eat back double the calories you burned and that would interfere with your goals.

My garmin logs similarly - if I go for a run it will log the run as a workout in the workout section, and 1200 steps (many of which were acquired during my run) will only be an additional 100 calories or so. If I have 1200 steps throughout the day not from intentional exercise I might get 300 calories for them.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    If the tracker measures heart rate, it can factor into the calculation the fact that some steps are more intense than others, thus burning more calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    This is a direct MFP app connect to the phone so no HR that MFP is dealing with - steps only.

But as mentioned above - what is the distance for those 2 days?
    I don't think MFP started using distance though since many direct connect devices don't calculate that.

So it's going to be more the matter of some of those steps was during the time of the workout already recorded, so they get no adjustment for extra on their own since already accounted for.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Yup, it’s because of the elliptical workout.
    When you add exercises then the steps benefit is erradicated as the assumption is that those steps were accumulated during the exercise.