How much fat can you lose a month?

I've been on diets and weight loss for 8 years now and in all my experience I can tell you that you can only lose 2-3 pounds of FAT per week.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Even losing 3 pounds is extremely difficult.
When people say they lost 10 pounds in a week it could be true but a lot of it will be water and muscle mass too

Follow the truth and you won't be disappointed

Replies

• warrenpillay
    warrenpillay Posts: 39 Member
    @kimny72 yeah I see a lot of older folks here. Also I have no clue how women's weight loss work.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    @kimny72 yeah I see a lot of older folks here. Also I have no clue how women's weight loss work.

It's not much different, we just have a lower TDEE at same height/weight because men have more lean body mass in proportion, which burns more calories to maintain than fat. Women also have more significant weight "maskers" like periods and ovulation, whereas men will be a little bit more steady with weigh-ins (they have water weight issues too, but they're not as significant and a little bit more under the guy's control).
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited May 2019
    I've been on diets and weight loss for 8 years now and in all my experience I can tell you that you can only lose 2-3 pounds of FAT per week.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. Even losing 3 pounds is extremely difficult.
    When people say they lost 10 pounds in a week it could be true but a lot of it will be water and muscle mass too

Follow the truth and you won't be disappointed

It really depends on the size of the person. If a person is 600 lbs, he would have to eat around 4,000 calories a day. With a bit of exercise, he could lose a lbs a day.

Its all about numbers, and how you manipulate them
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    The most I ever dropped was 3.35% in a month when I was 180. after that, laddered decline to where I lose .5-.8 a month. My diet is on point and I work my *kitten* off. In fact, today is dietitian day.
  • Commander_Keen
    If a person wanted to burn 4 lbs a week, they would have to burn up to 2000 calories a day
    500 calories deficit of comes from the diet
    750 comes from the morning work out
    750 comes from the night work out
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    If a person wanted to burn 4 lbs a week, they would have to burn up to 2000 calories a day
    500 calories deficit of comes from the diet
    750 comes from the morning work out
    750 comes from the night work out

What workout is someone doing for 750 calories?
  • Commander_Keen
    It depends on the person
    It take me 10 min to burn 100 calories via running
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    @quiksylver296 sure I can, there'll always be someone to correct any mistake I made, like yeah I forgot to add that it's only true for people over 25% body fat. But someone will correct me

So instead of being so careful with your words give value and accept feedback

No, people with less than 25% body fat also lose weight by eating fewer calories than they burn, and 2-3 lbs of fat loss per week for them is also completely unrealistic as it is much higher than recommended. One does not only lose fat when losing weight, there is also water, tissue, and muscle included in that loss.
  • warrenpillay
    warrenpillay Posts: 39 Member
    I'm just gonna start posting my results, posting whatever I want
    Who ever wants to listen can listen and ask questions
    I won't be replying to anything other than genuine questions from now on
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I'm just gonna start posting my results, posting whatever I want
    Who ever wants to listen can listen and ask questions
    I won't be replying to anything other than genuine questions from now on

Okay then, here's a genuine question - exactly how do you think doing this is going to help anyone here, especially newbies?

Unless, of course, your aim is to give other people the benefit of all the corrective responses from people who actually know what they're talking about because they've walked the walk for years and successfully maintained their losses in a reasonable and responsible manner. In that case, go right ahead.