I slipped all the way back to my starting weight.

Advice on how to regain motivation when I’m so disappointed in myself?

Replies

• bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Make the decision to start again and do it! What’s past can’t be undone so don’t dwell. Or, you can think of what slipped you up and make an adjustment.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Ive gained and lost and gained. Every time Ive learned something. Look back and try to figure out what went wrong and what can be improved on.

Things Ive learned.
    Bad days happen. Bad weeks happen
    Eat more. < Im way better at 1 pound per week weight loss goals.
    I also found protein carb and fat goals that help me be less hangry
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    You can do this! Start by making a habit of logging your food. It will help make you more aware of how much you are eating and you'll see where you need to make changes. Logging has made a big difference for me, and weighing my food on a food scale was very eye-opening! Who knew what I thought was a small apple was almost double the calories! Anyhow, start with small changes and you're more likely to succeed this time. Making habits of logging each day and working out have helped a lot for me. I've been putting my workout off today but know I won't be able to go to bed before I work out, so it's happening! Also, making friends on here
    has helped. Knowing others are cheering me on helps. It also helps as my diary is open and friends can see when I pig out, so I'm less likely to do so. Best of luck!
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Sounds like my story...

I have loss and regained the same 60+ pounds for the last 7 or so years. I restarted my plan on the 13th, at about 3 pounds shy of one of my highest weights... The road ahead seems daunting, I just keep reminding myself that I have done it once I can do it again. Trust the process!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I have been in this position more times than I would care to count or admit.

Remember that you did it the first time for a reason. Also remember that you lost the weight once which means you can do it again. And now you have learned some valuable lessons to help you be more successful this time.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    okbuddha wrote: »
    Advice on how to regain motivation when I’m so disappointed in myself?

If you quit would you be happy? If this was the first time at this weight would you want to lose it? Why did you fail? Don't beat yourself up - it's already done. Learn from the mistakes. Begin again. Figure out a way of eating that you can sustain for the rest of your life. I'm not judging you. Stop judging yourself.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Most of my life this was my story but I finally got back on the horse and made it work. If you take a hard look at what you were doing before and use what worked and ditch what didn't you may find it easier. For me it was usually the fact that I tried to change too drastically all at once and tried to lose too fast. Once I was more reasonable with my expectations I made it. It took me two years to get to goal. If you had told me it would take that long at the beginning I probably wouldn't have even tried but now I realize it was worth the time it took. I had alot to lose and was 59 years old. I didn't want to end up someone's problem to take care of. You can do it. Take it slow and don't beat yourself up every time you aren't perfect.
  • BradandLibby
    BradandLibby Posts: 14 Member
    Same here! I look at my weight throughout the years on MFP and I am astonished how much I yo yo. But this time I’m positively going to keep it off!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    take a day or two and just be mad at yourself for doing what you knew you were doing. ...that's gaining it back and looking the other way. I think every single one of us done this.

After that, brush yourself off and move forward. You know you can lose the weight, you've done it before. Just start. Then look back at your behavior as you regained and figure out where you went wrong. Did you stop weighing yourself? did you start buying larger sizes in clothes again? Did you just eat your way back?

Learn from this and move on.. it doesn't mean you won't be successful this time.. it means most likely you will be. You can do it!!! Good luck.
  • tn3sport
    tn3sport Posts: 18 Member
    So... my starting weight was 8 pounds 2 ounces....
    Its all relative. Youre still focused. Youre doing something about it. Youre doing fine.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    edited May 2019
    At least you should have a ‘before’ picture you can relate to! I’m sticking mine on the fridge. Lost 70lbs in 2010. Kept it off for 8 years then had a very stressful work and homelife situ and lost my way. I put nearly all of it back on and feel so unhealthy and uncomfortable. I’ve started from scratch again. At least having done it before, once you’ve committed - you know what it takes to do it again. I just wish it came off as quickly as it seems to go on! Anyway, my target is to get back down to goal weight by end of Sept.

I find the two most helpful things are 1) look at before and after success stories everyday for the first month which is always the hardest to stay disciplined as you transition to healthier lifestyle and 2) set loads of mini goals to give you success along the way.

Good luck everyone!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    I really hate when people say this. You need to find your own motivation. It needs to come from a place deep inside.

Sorry if this is a bit savage, but it is the truth.

You are right it was savage. You are also right on the motivation. I do feel that "internet strangers" on here are helpful if you pick the right ones, those who comment and message and really engage help with motivation.
  • okbuddha
    okbuddha Posts: 22 Member
    tn3sport wrote: »
    So... my starting weight was 8 pounds 2 ounces....
    Its all relative. Youre still focused. Youre doing something about it. Youre doing fine.

I laughed so hard.
  • NoMoreTwizzlers
    NoMoreTwizzlers Posts: 49 Member
    🙋🏾‍♀️ Can't say I've gone back that far, but I'm up about #20 from my lowest weight now. I'm making gains daily though. I'm back on track.👍🏾

💡 I suggest that you concentrate on one aspect of weight loss at a time. That's what I did. First I got moving again as I ate mindfully and shopped for cleaner groceries. Then I started using my food scale and logging again. You have to hold yourself accountable. 🗓️ I hate it when my time is wasted, so I do what I can daily to make it count. 🏅
  • jrh_this_better_work
    jrh_this_better_work Posts: 92 Member
    Your thread title says it all for me as well.

Someone told me, and I have to keep telling myself, that motivation wanes, so don't depend on it. Instead rely on determination. So DETERMINE that you want live a healthier lifestyle. Then follow through.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I'm with you I lost 99 lbs and gain back 50 :#