Obese Asthmatic Teen

I am 5’4, 19, 270 lbs, I wanna be healthy but I feel I am going nowhere what I eat isn’t bad at all and I do a decent amount of exercise but I feel hopeless... I’m tempted to give up...

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Give up then what?

How about, instead of continuing to do as you've been doing to gain weight steadily, you start doing things differently?

Get a food scale that measures grams. Weigh your food. Log your food accurately.
    Set your myfitnesspal weight loss goal to a plan of losing 2 lb per week. That's less than 1% of your body weight. You should adjust that goal to a 1.5 lb per week rate of loss when you reach 150 lb.

You will reach 150 in a year or so. All you have to do is love you more than you love food.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    When I first started I used to tell people that I didn't eat large quantities of food but that I ate the wrong things. I realize now that statement was only half true. I ate the wrong things but I was also eating alot more than I thought I was. I grew up in a home where a "normal" portion was easily twice what I should have eaten. You need to do what @JeromeBarry1 says and weigh and log all your input. I mean really weigh it don't guess. You'll be surprised. What I used to consider a snack (2 tacos) is now a whole dinner for me. We live in a society that is overfed and most of us don't even know what a reasonable portion is.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Welcome! It is easy to feel overwhelmed and hopeless, but giving up is going to get you to your goal. Make small incremental changes rather than changing everything all at once. Forgive yourself and move on when you go off plan (it happens, we all do it). Focus make changes to incorporate into your lifestyle and last a lifetime rather than something temporary just to lose weight. Focus on losing at a slow steady rate rather than quickly and unhealthily as we see all over the media.

There are a lot of great people and posts here for you to turn to when confused or frustrated. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You can do this!
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    Add me if you'd like .