Beer can chicken

Unusual question. If I am making beer can roast chicken on my bbq grill, do I have to add beer calories on to the total calories ?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Only if you drink whatever is left in the can afterward B)

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would probably add 15ish percent of the beer calories.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited May 2019
    https://amazingribs.com/beer-can-chicken

@BrianSharpe I wouldn't recommend it.

In the name of science, I'd weigh my beer before and afterwards. If it's heavier, there's your evidence that more chicken grease collected than beer evaporated. If it weighs less, you could add the calories from the beer that evaporated, if it makes you feel better.

*bottle, can, whatever...
  • NovusDies

In the name of science, I'd weigh my beer before and afterwards. If it's heavier, there's your evidence that more chicken grease collected than beer evaporated. If it weighs less, you could add the calories from the beer that evaporated, if it makes you feel better.

The problem with the experiment is that the next chicken won't have the same amount of moisture or fat and the MFP db entry is an average. I am all about accuracy until you are talking about 35ish hard to figure calories and then it doesn't matter that much unless the dish is a staple in a person's diet. I would aim slightly higher than needed and leave it there.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

The problem with the experiment is that the next chicken won't have the same amount of moisture or fat and the MFP db entry is an average. I am all about accuracy until you are talking about 35ish hard to figure calories and then it doesn't matter that much unless the dish is a staple in a person's diet. I would aim slightly higher than needed and leave it there.

Well, yeah? But in the name of science!

Srsly - I have enough anxiety about a rotisserie chicken with a handy nutrition label on it. Whole chicken is trickier to account for than I like. The skin, white meat and dark all have different counts, and there's the weight of the bones to subtract from your portion, and you pretty much have to weigh cooked, instead of raw...

I'm curious if you'll collect more fat than to account for the beer evaporation, such that your can could weigh heavier after the experiment.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

Well, yeah? But in the name of science!

Srsly - I have enough anxiety about a rotisserie chicken with a handy nutrition label on it. Whole chicken is trickier to account for than I like. The skin, white meat and dark all have different counts, and there's the weight of the bones to subtract from your portion, and you pretty much have to weigh cooked, instead of raw...

I'm curious if you'll collect more fat than to account for the beer evaporation, such that your can could weigh heavier after the experiment.

I know there is a way of accurately accounting for the rotisserie chicken but I don't eat it enough to figure it out. I log the bird based on the label and then remove the skin. If I wanted the skin I would probably log it based on the label and then add 20 percent. My rate of loss based on my logging is always lower than my actual rate of loss so I overestimate a little too much.

I think most of the fat will come from under the skin which should fall directly on the grill not be captured in the can that is inside the bird cavity.