Do You Identify as a Food Addict?

ladyzherra
ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
Like so many of us here, I am an emotional eater who has felt obsessive about food. Food is always on my mind. I am immoderate with it. I've hidden it. I've allowed it control my mood. I've felt guilt and shame around it. I've hurt myself with food. I go to food to help me numb emotions that feel too much for me. Food has come between me and going out with friends. Binge-eating disorder is what I have, but I realize recently that food addiction is a thing. I've been reading about it in books and also started attending support group meetings for the addiction. For the first time in almost 40 years I actually feel like I am beginning to see what has plagued me through my life. Does anyone else identify as a food addict?

Jenn

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Yes! No official diagnosis but researching it and it fits my brain. I've been looking for a support group near me but have yet to find one. The most I found was overeaters anonymous, and...while it had good principals, the overall experience was uncomfortable. I think because of the religious aspect for me personally.

Did you find the support group just through searching or through like your insurance?
  • ladyzherra
    @neuroticvirgo, a friend of mine attends the meetings. There are OA and FA meetings in my area. The OA principals do not really resound with me, either, but I appreciate the community.
  • ladyzherra
    @Cindy4Change I use a fitbit sometimes, especially to check in with how many calories I burn on average. It's not very much!
  • Cindy4Change
    Cindy4Change Posts: 18 Member
  • paba2025
    paba2025 Posts: 14 Member
    I also ID as a food addict. Also, it is my emotional go to. I also start eating and can't stop even when physically full still feel wanting more. I am aware that I am trying to fill something missing with food. I also agree with reading When the food is love book. It is one about the only one I found that resonants with the way I feel and approach food. I am up connecting with others who struggle with overeating and we can support each other.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I'm 65 and I was addicted to carbs and sugary foods like a lot of people .I found out that ''eating too much carbs and sugary foods make me craved more of these foods''. I got fatter as time went by.So 7 months ago, I change from eating low fat and ate too much carbs to eating low carbs/ high in good fat/ high protein.I'm losing weight, got rid of my cravings and my metal health improve too. It's easier to stick to my new way of eating .I only have to be mindful not to snack when I'm bored but not hungry.I want to get my BMI down to 20 from 22.Then I'll increase carbs but still maintain my weight. I won't go back to eat sugary foods again because I can eat low carb desserts in stead.x 🥚🧀🥩🍗🍤🐟🦑🥗🥦🥑🍮🥜🍰🍪
  • sunlovr
    sunlovr Posts: 3 Member
    Great inspiration here. I so identify with the other posters. Starting low carb today. Any easy suggestions especially for desserts that don't include fake foods are appreciated!
    Kim
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    @sunlovr, I get recipes from the net, Low Carbs group here and groups on Facebook. I replace sugar with sweetener.I like low cal jelly a lot.It's easy to make , filling,tasty and lower in carbs and calories than most keto snacks.I don't eat desserts often . Most of my carbs come from vegetables.x 🥣
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    I love food. I love the taste of food, smell of food, and it really takes alot of food for me to feel full. So, I don't realize how much I am eating. Logging helps.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Yes, I think I will need to keep a food diary and use calories, I know calorie aren't accurate or a good way to lose weight but because of my food addicted I will need to keep record so I don't over eat.