A sign of the apocalypse: I joined a gym!

Options
wmweeza
wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
If someone had told me say 4 years ago that I'd one day join a gym VOLUNTARILY I would've bet everything I had against that idea. However, today I joined a gym!
It was only marginally crowded at it's busiest time, and oddly enough I didn't feel completely strange being there. Well, a little strange, I was the only one with an obvious disability using a walker...lol.
I talked with the manager and he had no problem with me taking up a bit more space with my walker and was fine with my plan to try to use equipment on the ends of aisles. The pool is PERFECT, and the aisles are wide. Thankfully there weren't too many big buff dudes, just regular people on treadmills. I have no idea why I expected major bodybuilders, but I was sure I'd be a complete fish out of water. Not so.
I have taken my fitness as far as it can go with my tiny home gym set up of hand weights and yoga mats, so it was time to try something new.
I'll start going on Monday or Tuesday, but for now I'm excited :)

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking such a brave step!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It's brave of you to step out of your comfort zone and join a gym. I hope you love it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! :smile:

Swimming pools are fantastic exercise, but they can also be a moment of tranquility in a chaotic world. I hope you enjoy being there.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    And the great part is they'll give a discounted membership to my stepson when he comes back from military service overseas
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. It’s a great step you have taken.
    Sounds like you have found an accommodating, friendly place.

If the pool has aqua fit classes you may enjoy them.

If anyone had told me in the first 54 years of my life that I would hold a gym membership for 10 years, I would have laughed myself silly.

Cheers, h.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great to hear you've found a place to go that is inviting 🙂

Please don't be too quick to judge; those "buff dudes" you're worried about are probably more than willing to help you with anything you may need; it's a really bad stereotype and most are working to correct it.
  • Skinimalink
    Skinimalink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well done you! It's a tough step. I did it yesterday and it was quite intimidating walking in. They have one token bodybuilder, they actually pointed him out to me as a sort of local landmark - he seemed used to that. The rest are all normal humans; considerably thinner than me, but recognisably the same species.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love my gym! I felt like a total spaz when I started which is ridiculous because nobody cares. Everyone is doing their own thing. I'm trying to get over myself.

congrats on taking the step!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Great job taking that step. It can be hard to venture into the unknown, but you've totally demystified it. I love my gym at a community center because it has literally every kind of person doing their own thing. Nobody's paying any attention to anyone but themselves. And hooray for a pool! Enjoy your new activities! It sounds like you'll be having even more success!