4 years using MFP - 12 months losing 80 lb then 3 years keeping it off

Replies

• st0753353
    st0753353 Posts: 2 Member
    Very inspirational!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I've received some lovely friend requests with beautiful messages from people who have been reading.

This community is so special to me.

And you are a valued member of this community.

<3, h.
  • Tolstolobik
    Tolstolobik Posts: 78 Member
    I've received some lovely friend requests with beautiful messages from people who have been reading.

You have inspired and helped me beyond measure. I am forever grateful.

• ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    Orphic you have done so well. Your body looks fantastic. I hope I can get a skinny and fit and small body like you have achieved. Well done. Thanks for all the tips. I get on the scales numerous times a day and it’s all over the place. But even though my weight goes up and down it’s more going down. I do get stuck sometimes on a number but I think that’s how weight loss goes. From what I have found my weight doesn’t just go down every day unfortunately. I wish it did but mine doesn’t. Good for you changing your life and getting healthy
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Orphic you have done so well. Your body looks fantastic. I hope I can get a skinny and fit and small body like you have achieved. Well done. Thanks for all the tips. I get on the scales numerous times a day and it’s all over the place. But even though my weight goes up and down it’s more going down. I do get stuck sometimes on a number but I think that’s how weight loss goes. From what I have found my weight doesn’t just go down every day unfortunately. I wish it did but mine doesn’t. Good for you changing your life and getting healthy

Please don't do this. Weigh yourself once a day at the most, and always at the same time and under the same circumstances (e.g. in the morning, after using the bathroom but before breakfast). Preferably use a trending weight app like Libra or Happy Scale to smooth out the inevitable lumps and bumps... for the majority of people, there won't be a consistent drop daily or even weekly, it'll be all over the place like you said.

And please do speak to your treatment team about everything you're currently feeling, based on your recent posts. I wish you well. *hugs*
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    @Orphia Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for sharing!
    Very inspirational.
    And congrats for your journey: you are so beautiful. :)<3
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2019

Second the thought that weighing yourself multiple times per day is counterproductive in general and unhealthy for you, specifically.

Of course your weight will fluctuate during the day based on how much food/liquid is currently in your system. Food and liquids have weight, and have absolutely nothing to do with how much your physical body weighs, or how much fat you've lost or gained because food and liquid weight are transitional and always fluctuating. What are you hoping to learn from weighing yourself multiple times per day?

And nobody's weight goes down every single day. NOBODY'S. That's not how weight loss/management works. It's the trend over time that matters, and one day is not nearly sufficient to determine this. Weight trends are determined over weeks and months of data.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

Thanks for the appreciation, @ashleygroizard

My weight has never gone down daily. That's perfectly normal, please don't worry.

It depends on food, salt, exercise, hormones, fibre, water, stress levels and probably more things I've forgotten.

I'm glad you realise you shouldn't get stuck on a number every day.
  • Orphia

You have inspired and helped me beyond measure. I am forever grateful.

@Tolstolobik You're so kind. How are you getting along? Anything in particular making a difference lately? And/or do you have any questions?

Also, @diannethegeek you're kind of like my science yardstick. xo I wanted you to check out this thread.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Love this thread, such an inspiration :smile:
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited May 2019
    Weigh yourself once a day at the most, and always at the same time and under the same circumstances (e.g. in the morning, after using the bathroom but before breakfast). Preferably use a trending weight app like Libra or Happy Scale to smooth out the inevitable lumps and bumps... for the majority of people, there won't be a consistent drop daily or even weekly, it'll be all over the place like you said.

Speaking of discouragement/disappointment when it comes to scale weight...

Please be aware Libra is not infallible and has its own set of problems. Gain weight for 10 days, even if it's "just" four lbs. gained and then lost when it's all said and done from acute contaminated injury based edema and antimicrobial use, and it just freaks the eff out. Took my expected goal date three years further out for several of those day and is currently sitting at over a year further out than it was pre-injury. Nor will a sane trend/goal date happen for the additional seven days, minimum, it will take to establish a new one.

• Orphia
    Weigh yourself once a day at the most, and always at the same time and under the same circumstances (e.g. in the morning, after using the bathroom but before breakfast). Preferably use a trending weight app like Libra or Happy Scale to smooth out the inevitable lumps and bumps... for the majority of people, there won't be a consistent drop daily or even weekly, it'll be all over the place like you said.

Speaking of discouragement/disappointment when it comes to scale weight...

Please be aware Libra is not infallible and has its own set of problems. Gain weight for 10 days, even if it's "just" four lbs. gained and then lost when it's all said and done from acute contaminated injury based edema and antimicrobial use, and it just freaks the eff out. Took my expected goal date three years further out for several of those day and is currently sitting at over a year further out than it was pre-injury. Nor will a sane trend/goal date happen for the additional seven days, minimum, it will take to establish a new one.

Thanks for posting that warning for others.

I'll add that Happy Scale doesn't give you an estimated date to reach goal (or if it does somewhere I've never looked for it).

I also always ignore the MFP notification about 1 month loss at the end of the day. I fear it encourages extreme deficits.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    BUMP because 1) everyone should read this and 2) you're awesome :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Thats true about the trending weight apps, one higher figure knocks the trend off for days and days....annoying but that seems to be how it goes. Pity it doesn't work the same way when its a nice low number thats input!
  • alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Eating back my exercise calories has been a game changer this time around. It's probably the best tip that I don't always read in post such as these.
  • Orphia

Aww, thanks so much!!

alondrakar wrote: »
    Eating back my exercise calories has been a game changer this time around. It's probably the best tip that I don't always read in post such as these.

Thanks! Yes, it really is a huge lesson to learn.

People can't seem to work out that they're burning the weight loss candle at both ends.

Plus a lot of the old advice (before fitness trackers were so accurate) was that you should only eat back half your exercise burns. Old threads get bumped, and the outdated information spreads.

Combine all that with being hung-up on being "motivated" (which can read like they're frantic), and they find it hard to stop and think things through.
  • jaroby
    jaroby Posts: 152 Member
    edited May 2019

Aww, thanks so much!!

alondrakar wrote: »

Thanks! Yes, it really is a huge lesson to learn.

People can't seem to work out that they're burning the weight loss candle at both ends.

Plus a lot of the old advice (before fitness trackers were so accurate) was that you should only eat back half your exercise burns. Old threads get bumped, and the outdated information spreads.

Combine all that with being hung-up on being "motivated" (which can read like they're frantic), and they find it hard to stop and think things through.

Question about eating back exercise calories. I find imputing exercise into MFP to be allll over the board. It’s also excruciatingly tedious HA! I lift. I switch things up. Sometimes I lift in a timed format, sometimes I lift according to sets/reps. Sometimes when I lift my heart is getting a workout just like cardio. Sometimes I’m sweating and working hard but my heart rate isn’t super fast.

I’m curious how other people tackle this. My “solution” so far has been to put my “daily activity level” one tick higher than it actually is + double check MFP calorie recommendations against a separate website (I have since forgotten the name but could look it up if necessary)

I had excellent results with this 2yrs ago when I was logging regularly (I’ve been pregnant/nursing/pregnat/nursing for the last 4yrs and I don’t track when I’m pregnant, my intiluitive eating has been great while growing babies). Over 9m of nursing (started 3m pp) I lost 20lbs (.5lb a week) and WOW did my body comp change! Now that I know more terminology, I was in “recomp.”

Apparently my methods work for me so far, but I’m curious how other people get around this. Especially imputing your workouts when they’re varied. I enjoy switching things up so literally every day is different in some way or I would save it or something. Plus the amount of weight I lift effects it and such.

Does anyone else find that more tedious than logging food? :smiley:

How are you guys logging exercise in a way that’s efficient & accurate?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!