Weekend shenanigans

I do so well with eating during the week then the weekend comes, and i get this insasable appetite. I did ok last weekend only gaining 0.2 pounds coming off my two days off. I walk 7-10km on the weekends and do yoga, but still manage to dip dark chocolate into the peanut butter jar, while sitting on the couch. It took every ounce of willpower for me to not do that last weekend. Perhaps just a mental thing, and the more i create healthy habits on the weekend the more these crazy cravings will go away? I sometimes can gain 2-5 pounds over the weekend. Anybody else struggle or suggestions? I am a recovered bulimic (6 years now) if that can mean anything. I do not drink or go out, but once i get on the couch i start to get hungry!

Replies

• bigdipperdave
    bigdipperdave Posts: 16 Member
    I've got the same problem. I think a lot of us do. So easy to eat when we are relaxing and falling into the same old habits. I've found that getting out and getting a little exercise does 2 things, makes me feel better and has me spending less time on the couch with the opportunity to snack. Maybe a healthy hobby or sport you can take up. We all need down time but we all probably don't need as much as we get.

And...don't beat yourself up gaining a few pounds on the weekend. Its normal and if you eat more on the weekend (as I do) its not really gaining 2-5 pounds of fat, you are just filling your intestines back up, water weight gain etc. and when you get into your weekday routine it should come right back off.

Good luck to you!
  • ninadrunner
    ninadrunner Posts: 14 Member
    I do walk or run on the weekends. Right now I have been walking 7-10km on the weekends. I work night shift, so my energy levels go up and down a lot randomly. There is a free running group on the weekend that might be a good idea. Thanks for your reply. i have 6 pounds to go, and i am struggling to get there. Was feeling down today.
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Boredom. Get outside, sunlight, fresh air, and water!! ❤️
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    are you possibly OVER restricting during the week? sometimes we try to be TOO good in eating only foods we label "clean" and "healthy" and chose a very aggressively low calorie goal which works great for a few days but lead to binges every few days (or on weekends) and overeating - scrapping the entire deficit made the first 5-6 days of the week.

there is notthing wrong with chocolate peanut butter as long as you work it in your daily or even WEEKLY calorie goals. even eating a day at maintenance won't erase a weekly deficit just ever so slightly slow the rate of loss
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    why keep two high calorie .."can't eat just one bite of them". foods in your house? You're setting yourself up for failure..and you're succeeding. Get the peanut butter and chocolate out of the house.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    4 weeks ago I was wounded in an accident and stopped exercising.
    I'm well on the way to healed now and will resume exercising soon.
    I'm retired and home all day.
    During this month, I've taken to hiding in bed to stay away from the couch.
    Before this month, I'd use one of the cardio machines I have in my home to occupy my body and mind, exorcising those food cravings and, besides, earning some calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Do you eat back exercise calories normally? Are you over restricting during the week?
    Have you considered banking calories for the weekend?
  • ninadrunner
    I keep the peanut butter and chocolate in the house because i can limit myself sometimes. I guess I didn't want to admit failure over having it, and i am trying to have balance. I am going back to school for nursing in the fall, so in January i had to take physiology and anatomy before i can get in(i am on the waiting list). I am a long distance runner, work out 5 or 6 times a week, strength train 2 days and yoga 3 or 4 days and have an active job as a commercial cleaner/janitor, and i stopped exercising completely to focus on the course. I also pulled a muscle in my groin area from heavy garbages, and i was miserable. Finally on track again, but last 6 pounds are brutal to lose. I probably do restrict too much during the week, and i have been thinking about incorporating even a protein shake before my night shift starts. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I am 121 and trying to get to 115 at 5'6 because that's what i was when i was in my 20s, and i want to fit into cute clothes again. That sounds so lame to me as i type that, but it's so true. I like the idea of banking some calories on the weekend. As long as i weight my peanut butter and chocolate i am good, it is when i take the jar and whole bar i just eat while watching tv or playing video games. This is long, but thanks for reading and your replies. I was having a rough time mentally, and i am trying to figure out how to balance this all without obsessing over it too much. Thank you and have a good weekend everyone.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    5’6 and 115 to fit in cute clothes sets off some additional red flags... I hope you find the approach you’re looking for OP.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Before this month, I'd use one of the cardio machines I have in my home to occupy my body and mind, exorcising those food cravings and, besides, earning some calories.

I see what you did there. ;)
  • ninadrunner
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    5’6 and 115 to fit in cute clothes sets off some additional red flags... I hope you find the approach you’re looking for OP.

I know right. I used to be about 104 at my lowest when i was bingeing and purging and at this weight i feel discusting. I am trying to learn how to love my body, buy secretly on the inside bashing myself having no self worth because of my weight. I have been in therapy since i was 15 to 30 (now 34). I just figure if i can feel good in my clothes maybe i will just stop obsessing and somehow i thought that magic number is 115 because i was that at one point and felt decent. Anyways, i feel embarrassed for even posting all this as i have never really talked about it other than bits and pieces with therapist. I am a recovered drug addict and alchoholic due to rapes in my younger years, which is why i went to therapy, but had issues with restricting and bulimia as well. Probably not the right forum for posting all this, but thanks for the replies.
  • ninadrunner
    missh1967 wrote: »

I see what you did there. ;)

Made me think of ace ventura..exorcise the demons!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member

I know right. I used to be about 104 at my lowest when i was bingeing and purging and at this weight i feel discusting. I am trying to learn how to love my body, buy secretly on the inside bashing myself having no self worth because of my weight. I have been in therapy since i was 15 to 30 (now 34). I just figure if i can feel good in my clothes maybe i will just stop obsessing and somehow i thought that magic number is 115 because i was that at one point and felt decent. Anyways, i feel embarrassed for even posting all this as i have never really talked about it other than bits and pieces with therapist. I am a recovered drug addict and alchoholic due to rapes in my younger years, which is why i went to therapy, but had issues with restricting and bulimia as well. Probably not the right forum for posting all this, but thanks for the replies.

Don't feel bad for posting your story. It can be cathartic, and it may also help someone else who reads your posts. Congrats on being clean! Stay strong! :)
  • ninadrunner
    missh1967 wrote: »
    5’6 and
    Don't feel bad for posting your story. It can be cathartic, and it may also help someone else who reads your posts. Congrats on being clean! Stay strong! :)

My body image is my last hurdle to jump, and it is harder to accept myself than quitting hard drugs was! Thank you :)