Keto and T2Diabetic

Options
I was diagnosed a little over a month ago and was basically told to either get on board or write my will. I was floored. I was 4 weeks post op from knee surgery when I found out. Now I’m 2 months post op and 1 month into a new way of eating. My bs before dinner tonight was 102. That down from 366 at my highest reading. I’m not doing straight Keto but lchf. I’d like to do more but I’m afraid of ketoacidosis. Should I be? I read some people do a carnivore diet then Keto. Is that safe for a diabetic?
Angel from Illinois

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    No, this is a common misunderstanding. DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) comes from high BG's, not from eating a ketogenic diet.

Having said that, there are some type 1's (a whole different situation) who get something called euglycemic DKA. It's more common when eating keto and when taking too little insulin... euglycemic DKA is when BG's are "normal" (I use quotes because case studies I've read will define "normal" as <300 or <240 or somewhere in between... and these are NOT normal non-diabetic BG's). So for type 1's, we still have to take sufficient insulin and still have to keep BG's in check, which is easier for most of us on keto.

But the short answer is that with a BG of 102 mg/dl and as a type 2 diabetic, you are not going to get DKA. It's pretty much impossible, though I'm sure someone will come up with some wild idea of some way it is possible and that is why I say "pretty much." If there is an endocrinologist here that disagrees and can explain it, I'd be open to hearing how...
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi! T2 diabetic here. I can't recommend keto highly enough. I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's saved my life. I was diagnosed in 2008 and have struggled most of the last ten years or so, but last year I really went off the rails. The last three months of the year were the worst. I couldn't stop eating. I was addicted to carbs and fast food. I felt so in despair and afraid that I got to the point where I didn't even care if I didn't wake up. The highest fasting blood glucose that I actually saw was 267 and that really scared me. My A1C was up to 8.1 and my doctor was telling me it was time to add a new diabetes medication. I think that snapped me out of that self-destructive spiral. I knew I had to do something.

Long story short, I started keto on January 1st. I've found it very easy to adjust to and stick to, and I've lost 46 pounds so far. Best news of all, I just had labs done a couple of weeks ago and my A1C is down to 6! I'm hoping when I see my doctor again this Fall that I will be able to get off meds altogether.

You can do it, and as the previous commenter said, no need to worry about ketoacidosis. It's actually a very healthy lifestyle and it really can give you a whole new lease on life. There's a thriving, active keto community on youtube and there's tons of really informative videos with advice and recipes. Good luck!
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Talk to your doctor first.