New Takes On Traditional Sides For Summer Grilling

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
Heard this segment on Here & Now today. Bought the ingredients for the Indian-Spiced Coleslaw With Fried Shallots, Coconut And Lime tonight.

0522_kathy-memorial-day01-1000x666.jpg

Other recipes:
  • Grilled Asparagus And Leek Salad With Feta And Lemon-Chive Vinaigrette
  • Dilly Bean Deviled Eggs

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/05/22/summer-grilling-sides-kathy-gunst

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Oh yeah! I love this!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Some easy veggie sides I always do which gives people something to eat while they wait for meat to be done. These can be done on initial hot fire before heat has evened out enough for grilling the meat.

Grilled lettuce: halve or quarter icebergs, radicchio or romaine, drizzle with olive oil on the cut sides and BBQ cut sides down for a few minutes until slightly blackened. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing.

Green asparagus: toss in olive oil in a plastic bag with salt and grill on the BBQ. If using thin green asparagus, it is easiest if you use a silicon mesh mat that prevents small items falling between the grates.

Sliced courgette, broccoli and cauliflower florettes can be treated the same way as asparagus.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Grilled veggies definitely. I've had people who hated veggies ask me for the recipe after they tried them grilled - just a little oil spray and salt and pepper.

That coleslaw sounds awesome. Other non mayo coleslaws would be a good option too.

Do potato salad but sub in some roasted cauliflower along with the potatoes to cut the calories some. About half and half is usually acceptable as long as you have seasoned and roasted the cauliflower well.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Grilled zucchini become absolutely heavenly with a bit of parmesan and mint. I need to try that slaw!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I have added grilled fruit. Peaches are the best, but also try mango.

Veges should be wrapped in foil and put on the grill (or directly on the coals) until done, then removed from the foil and charred for a few minutes. This keeps them from drying out on the grill.

Put in raw garlic cloves when grilling onions and potatoes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    When I started to make this today I noticed the recipe said to not dress the cabbage more than two hours before serving. Since I like well-marinated cabbage did it today (for tomorrow) anyway. If the coconut flakes come out unpleasantly soggy, I will deal with it this time and toast them separately next time, so I can add those right before serving.

BTW, I read online that 1 C of shredded cabbage = 100 grams, but 400 g was closer to 6 C than 4 C.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I started to make this today I noticed the recipe said to not dress the cabbage more than two hours before serving. Since I like well-marinated cabbage did it today (for tomorrow) anyway. If the coconut flakes come out unpleasantly soggy, I will deal with it this time and toast them separately next time, so I can add those right before serving.

BTW, I read online that 1 C of shredded cabbage = 100 grams, but 400 g was closer to 6 C than 4 C.

It probably depends on how fine cabbage is shredded