Soft belly

Options
Well hello all, first of all, as a belly thread I will first say I KNOW I CAN'T SPOT REDUCE and also that I KNOW EVERYTHING TAKES TIME...

Back story: I have lost 25lb in 6 months and am down to my goal weight (5'3.5 and 125lb), retrospectively I lost a lot of weight too quickly at the beginning with the 1200 and not eating ex cals and not lifting, like many MFP app casualties who never see the forums! Now I'm still holding some chub in my belly, and it's all soft - I wouldn't call it loose skin, it doesn't hang or anything but it's certainly not taut... and those last couple of lb came off my boobs so I'm not willing to push that much further.

At the gym I run/cycle 3 times a week (3-5km/10-15km respectively), do some weights (free and machine) at once a week, do yoga or body combat classes occasionally.

Finally my question: What can I do to improve my core muscle tone and firm up the area/skin? Roughly how long will it realistically take to see the results?

Replies

• Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1st, are you doing specific ab exercises? Preferably heavy (lower than 15-20 cable crunches, also leg raises to the bar are good. dont waste your time doing situps, regular crunches - bad exercises). 2ns, are you doing a lot of compound heavy lifts that require core stabilisation? (deadlift, barbell squat, barbell row, standing overhead press, etc) 3rd You will need to drop significant amount of bodyfat. I know that you lost hip of weight, and you want to keep them boobies, but here you have to pick what you want worse. If you see no definition at all, then consider losing from 5% of bodyfat, until you see some abs. Hope that helps.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Core exercises will strengthen your core, I know that isn't really an answer, but that is just how it is. As far as the belly chub, it's just fat. The only way to get rid of it is to keep cutting till it's gone. I am a male so it's a little different but, I still have love handles after losing 50 pounds, I look pretty gaunt in the face and my chest is looking very thin. I know I have to keep cutting till the fat is gone
    and then bulk to put on some lean mass. I in other words, yeah you are gonna have to suffer through some unpleasant physical features to get the fat off, but then you can lift heavy, eat at a surplus and put some mass back on, but it will be lean. You can do it!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need to lower your body fat to get rid of the belly. Unfortunately it's usually the last place to go so if you want to keep the boobs you'll most likely be keeping the belly. You can do core exercises to get the muscle underneath more defined but you won't see much difference with a layer of fat over top. It can take up to 2 years for skin to tighten as much as it's going to so you may see a bit of difference over time.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Getting the muscles bigger might help; it really depends on how much chub we're talking ;)

If you are only doing weights 1x a week, up that to two minimum first thing.

Go on and hit the abs hard if you like, but treat them like any other muscle. They may recover faster than other muscles for you, but it shouldn't be necessary to work them more because of that. OTOH, if things you like doing take abs the next day, that's usually fine, I think. Make sure to eat enough protein and calories, of course.

I see the top part of my abs even with a fat layer there. I take it that's because of lifting, because I don't see them as much with the same fat layer when I'm lazy. I have too much fat to see my lower abs, but I can feel them and they are more solid or not depending on what I'm doing. They are just a muscle :)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Has no one here mentioned that a soft stomach can be sexy on a woman too?? That bears mentioning.... :drinker: But no sweat, I can tell your goals are different from that.

Honestly without a photo it's hard to tell precisely what to suggest, but if you mean just a little fat at/below the belly button and your bodyfat% is already significantly low, it *could* make a difference if you grew your abdominal muscles.

That would require heavy weight cable crunches or something to that affect. You're looking for significant hypertrophy in that area to grow the muscle. And to achieve that... you have to eat a surplus and gain some of that fat back lol

Tada, you're welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Some people simply doesn't have the genetics to have a flat stomach and have a healthy bodyweight. Toning the muscles might help a little, but at some point you just have to accept your stomach for what it is.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thansk for all the responses.

I don't want abs or even a flat stomach (I'm curvy and with boobs, which I like) I am just concerned the area is a bit loose c/ to the rest of me! I feel that I have some solid muscles under there, but there's this super soft layer of fat/skin over it, which I want to decrease and improve not necessarily expecting lose altogether

I think I might overshoot my weight loss goal by a bit more and then super protein up and increase weights to 3 times a week. and hope that helps.
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Stretching is real good and sit ups and holding weights on belly when doin crunches:smile:
  • sel2504
    sel2504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have this same problem so would love to read people's responses.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Up your weight training to 2-3 times a week, and start using a routine with compound lifts rather than isolation moves and machines. Eat at a SMALL deficit, and you'll start to lose fat while retaining and strengthening muscle. Changing your body fat % takes longer than just losing weight for most people, so you have to be patient. But you should start to see visible results in 6-8 weeks if you stick with it.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    So I am shamelessly self bumping my old thread. Over 5 years later I still have the soft belly, I went down to 117 and still had it, back up to 125 and it’s really not going anywhere.

So... Is this just my body now and forever?

(I am a flake and am not consistent with lifting, or any training, but most weeks I do heavy compound lifting twice and stair master or run twice plus one or two swims.)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that you consider doing recomp since you’re at goal weight.
    Your skin might continue to tighten naturally over time, but no exercise will cause it to tighten.
    It is unrealistic to think you will build so much new muscle to cause your skin to fill it out!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Do you even lift? ;)

Seriously. One day per week of half-*kittened* lifting isn't going to get you there. Get on a proven progressive lifting program.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    And just to round out the informative posts....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

A real life looks women’s stomachs at goal weight.

I have found consistency and dedication over the long haul is what is needed for a tight, (not abs), stomach.

I have also realized I really don’t have that dedication. I can’t make it (my stomach/abs) a priority in my life, so I am happy with a middle road- a little jiggle on top, but strong-ish abs underneath.
    (I am an apple so all extra fat is there and it is a little more challenging to get results)

This means I lift heavy in the winter when I’m home, but in the summer, when I’m not, it is all light weights and body weight.

I do find good posture and engaging abs during everyday activity (gardening, cooking and cleaning)/milder exercise (like walking) really helps.

Oops, I’m waffling at this point.

Cheers, h.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    Thansk for all the responses.

I don't want abs or even a flat stomach (I'm curvy and with boobs, which I like) I am just concerned the area is a bit loose c/ to the rest of me! I feel that I have some solid muscles under there, but there's this super soft layer of fat/skin over it, which I want to decrease and improve not necessarily expecting lose altogether

I think I might overshoot my weight loss goal by a bit more and then super protein up and increase weights to 3 times a week. and hope that helps.

I think your plan is a good start.