LOW SODIUM RECIPES NEEDED

Options
Losing2LIVE4ME
Losing2LIVE4ME Posts: 7 Member
Hello- am new here and I HAVE to keep my sodium down. It is AMAZING how much sodium is in healthy foods I was choosing. I did find WEGMANS has stuff cheese shells that are VERY LOW in sodium. SAUCE? Thats a different story and little did I know or think all this past year how I dum on half a jar over them to bake that theres like 4 hundred something in a half cup! So now what I do is I got a scale and measured out an ounce. I first figured Id need an ounce for each shell, but nope 1 ounce really is enough for 2 shells! Makes a great meal with some veggie salad or side of stir fry veggies which I KEEP in my fridge now at all times. BARELY any sodium or calories and SO yummy. This place is amazing and I got 15 friends already so awesome the love you all give! My heart is happy and I WILL get back to everyone. I really believe I can do this with some help from my friends and I promise to share all I know and find and pass along to you all too. Send me them recipes!!! Oh and the shells are frozen, so how I do them is I take out two, microwave them for 4 minutes, then put on measured amount of sauce 1 use 1 Oz for 2 shells, top each one with it then put it in the toaster oven so I dont gotta heat up the whole house in summer here. Just 10 minutes in the toaster over at 350! PERFECT! add a cold lettuce salad and oh yea I use PLAIN greek no fat yogurt for all kinds a stuff I make dip out of it for my veggies so I just do the same with it add what herbs I want in it and use that over my salad w some lemon YUM!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    For a low sodium recipe, I use any normal recipe and reduce the salt by half or more. Maybe add some extra other spices or herbs. Any homemade recipe usually has the fraction of sodium and sugar as its commercial counterpart.
  • Losing2LIVE4ME
    Options
    With me being 428 lbs and using a walker to walk I need fast and easy but VERY low sodium. It almost killed me once. Sodium swelled my body and lack of movement. Im scared to eat anything without checking first. for sure! Thanks for taking the time to reply to me! God Bless!+
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I agree with exploring spices and herbs, they make a world of difference! Two of my favorites are Penzey's Fox Point and Mural of Flavor. Both are great on fish, chicken, and vegetables. I especially like to squeeze half a lemon on some salmon with a layer of Fox Point. I get most of my spices from there or The Spice House, and Trader Joe's has spices for cheap. Start experimenting!
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific recipes, but the DASH diet is known to have low sodium recipes, since the primarily objective of that diet is heart health, helping to control blood pressure, etc. I'm sure if you google "dash diet" recipes, you'll probably be able to find something low sodium.
  • Losing2LIVE4ME
    Options
    Thank you every one. I have found some great recipes. Been doing alot of stirfry adding in additional veggies, all the colors. Then topping it with 2 to 3 oz of chicken breast or shrimp. It actually is more difficult than to just cook and not add salt if you want flavor and Im finding everything you think is healthy is Loaded with Sodium. The tools this place gives you is amazing anf I am so appreciative for all your suggestions. I am on my 5th day. Thank you.
  • AZCattitude
    AZCattitude Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Adding lemon, various types of vinegar etc helps. We like thespicery.com for their green chili powder too. Nutritional yeast gives a nice unami flavor to popcorn, eggs etc. There are a lot of low sodium recipes on the web sites for kidney disease and heart disease too. Good luck.
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Having high blood pressure I always remove salt from recipes and use low sodium soy instead of regular (only a little). Its not hard to avoid salt if you stay away from processed foods. I use lots of fresh herbs, vegetables and some spices to get extra flavour. You don't need special recipes to avoid salt but be aware of ingredients like stocks, fish sauce and soy sauces which are generally high in sodium.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one. I have found some great recipes. Been doing alot of stirfry adding in additional veggies, all the colors. Then topping it with 2 to 3 oz of chicken breast or shrimp. It actually is more difficult than to just cook and not add salt if you want flavor and Im finding everything you think is healthy is Loaded with Sodium. The tools this place gives you is amazing anf I am so appreciative for all your suggestions. I am on my 5th day. Thank you.

Processed, packaged foods have a lot of added sodium and sugar usually.
    Preparing your food from scratch you can control what goes into it. As others have said, learn to season your food with non-sodium spices and herbs.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    So basically cook what you want just dont add salt? Is this some how difficult?
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    So basically cook what you want just dont add salt? Is this some how difficult?

Yes, it is. There is sodium naturally in a lot of food and places where you don’t expect to find it. Canned vegetables and sauces, even celery and carrots. Even meat. So if we cook without checking labels, say spaghetti and just don’t add salt, we are probably over our limit.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There are spice blends that work as great salt substitutes. I like Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute. Obviously, it doesn't work like salt, but it helps cut the need for seasoning and the salt shaker.

TJ's also has a very low sodium salsa and jar tomato sauce. Good short-cut items to have in the pantry. Not saying you can't similar elsewhere, but it's a starting point.

Also, if you are using cheese, go for Alpine Lace Swiss wherever possible. Generally one of the lower sodium cheeses.

Good Luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    95% of my food is home made, I never add salt. Cooking from scratch is a great way to really cut back on sodium.
    As for recipes, whatever meals you enjoy, look up the recipe for it online, you'll find out there will be minimal salt and you can reduce what the recipe says too, add extra flavour with herbs/spices.
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When cooking homemade replace salt with a Nutritional Yeast Seasoning! :smiley: