Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

1606163656673

Replies

  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    Allgaun wrote: »
    Books
    Before you dump them in a libraries return bin, make sure they accept them! I work at a library and we DO NOT accept donations. Anything dropped in our return box is thrown out. Especially magazines (including National Geographic) and text books.

    Save yourself some money anyway and use your public library, why own a book your only going to read once?

    I donated my 150 books to a charity book shop a little at a time over the last year and a half. I would bring a bag of books and they would look them over before accepting them. Then they would sell them and the money would go to helping the homeless. I also support and use the library often but I enjoy having the books that I plan to keep.

    You Rock, period. o:) <3 o:)
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 500Member Member Posts: 500Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    About 7 years ago I bought a library Murphy bed for the spare room. All my books fit on it, they are organized, and I got rid of a lot of bookcases. I have a lot of them but I re-read them. If I won't read again, I pass them to my neighbor.

    Girlllllll....Murphy bed's are EVERYTHING! I haven't thought of a Murphy Bed in forever. I remember Murphy beds so much when I was a wee little one=they were super popular years and years ago. I google it and see some fabulous options for a Murphy Bed--I love you Snoo, you're so smart and cool like that--YAY! Thanks for mentioning it! Talk about decluttering and useful good looking AND practical things, a murphy bed is, tremendous, period.

    I decided that a Murphy bed was the only way I'd be able to have a spare room I could use, lol. We had a bed in there, but I had to scramble every time someone was coming to stay, to clear it off! I found the library bed online, saved for a year, and its my bliss! Books combined with a hidden bed...dream come true!
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 500Member Member Posts: 500Member Member
    Allgaun wrote: »
    Books
    Before you dump them in a libraries return bin, make sure they accept them! I work at a library and we DO NOT accept donations. Anything dropped in our return box is thrown out. Especially magazines (including National Geographic) and text books.

    Save yourself some money anyway and use your public library, why own a book your only going to read once?

    I donated my 150 books to a charity book shop a little at a time over the last year and a half. I would bring a bag of books and they would look them over before accepting them. Then they would sell them and the money would go to helping the homeless. I also support and use the library often but I enjoy having the books that I plan to keep.

    I will have to see if there are any charity book stores in my area, I haven't heard of it before, I love it!
  • RetiredAndLovingItRetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 574Member Member Posts: 574Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME ...I used to use the dryer balls like you pictured, then read that felted wool yarn dryer balls are healthier, so I made them. They are pretty easy to make. Good thought about the chemicals in the lavendar Downy as opposed to natural oils in the Dr Bronner soap. I have used the Dr Bronners peppermint & orange, but may have to give the lavendar a try for bedding.
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME ...I used to use the dryer balls like you pictured, then read that felted wool yarn dryer balls are healthier, so I made them. They are pretty easy to make. Good thought about the chemicals in the lavendar Downy as opposed to natural oils in the Dr Bronner soap. I have used the Dr Bronners peppermint & orange, but may have to give the lavendar a try for bedding.

    I've seen those "b o:) lls at Marshalls (also dirt cheap price), they were gray--I didn't get them because I was thinking "wool" and damp clothes will equal "smelly". I'm so GLAD you've posted this. I'm going to get some next time I'm there--THANK YOU Boo! <3
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    snoo61 wrote: »
    About 7 years ago I bought a library Murphy bed for the spare room. All my books fit on it, they are organized, and I got rid of a lot of bookcases. I have a lot of them but I re-read them. If I won't read again, I pass them to my neighbor.

    Girlllllll....Murphy bed's are EVERYTHING! I haven't thought of a Murphy Bed in forever. I remember Murphy beds so much when I was a wee little one=they were super popular years and years ago. I google it and see some fabulous options for a Murphy Bed--I love you Snoo, you're so smart and cool like that--YAY! Thanks for mentioning it! Talk about decluttering and useful good looking AND practical things, a murphy bed is, tremendous, period.

    I decided that a Murphy bed was the only way I'd be able to have a spare room I could use, lol. We had a bed in there, but I had to scramble every time someone was coming to stay, to clear it off! I found the library bed online, saved for a year, and its my bliss! Books combined with a hidden bed...dream come true!

    Girlfriend, that's the ticket, period. When I google murphy bed, I saw some super CUTE stuff...like this (these are queen size beds too--YES!:

    ALEGDBDSKP_IMG10.jpg

    ALEGDBDSKP_IMG9.jpg

    bristol-wall-bed_murphy-bed-oak-with-desk-piers.jpg

    bristol-wall-bed_murphy-bed-oak-with-desk-piers-open.png

    bristol-wall-bed-murphy-bed-with-pier-cabinets-desk.jpg

    transitional-birch-wall-bed-pier-desk-cabinets.jpg.jpg

    hidden-bed-wall-bed-murphy-bed.jpg

    bookcase.jpg

    hiden-murphy-bed.jpg




    And tons more. Perfect for declutter's place or for someone with a small and/or studio apartment!
    edited May 25
  • RetiredAndLovingItRetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 574Member Member Posts: 574Member Member
    I have never noticed a smell with my wool dryer balls. I was going to economize with regular yarn rolled into balls, but of course it didn't work. To make them, you use 100% wool yarn & wind into a ball, put in a nylon stocking, tie off between balls, & wash & dry a couple of times with hot water & hot dryer. Take them out of stocking & good to go. The hot water & dryer felts the wool yarn & they won't come apart. If they get dirty...rolling across the floor, lol, I just throw them back in washer with a load of towels. To economize (because wool yarn is expensive) I started with a regular yarn ball & then layered the 100% wool yarn over it quite a bit. Mine are pretty colors...pink, blue & white.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,735Member Member Posts: 2,735Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

    Nice looking Murphy's bed you posted. I like the white one better!

    I am glad that your job with your kids' pillows worked so good and congratulations on your "new" bedroom and the wonderful and relaxing feeling that you and your husband are experiencing with the decor. Way to go!

    I would like to ask you if when you wash towels and bedding in the washing machine you only use Dr. Bronners soap or if you mix it with your regular washing detergent. I just don't want to mess my wash.

    Hope that everybody is having a great weekend.

    G.
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

    Nice looking Murphy's bed you posted. I like the white one better!

    I am glad that your job with your kids' pillows worked so good and congratulations on your "new" bedroom and the wonderful and relaxing feeling that you and your husband are experiencing with the decor. Way to go!

    I would like to ask you if when you wash towels and bedding in the washing machine you only use Dr. Bronners soap or if you mix it with your regular washing detergent. I just don't want to mess my wash.

    Hope that everybody is having a great weekend.

    G.

    Hi G!

    I really like them all, but the but one is epecially CUTE! With the pillows, I mixed half Dr. Bronner's with half oxi clean tide (in the tide bottle cap/cup). With the comforter, pillowcases, sheets, etc. I used half Dr. B w/tide combo in the washing section and 3/4 Dr. Bronner's w/ 1/4 tide oxi-clean in the pre-wash section of the washing machine. So I used actually double portion of Dr. Bronners. Since I don't do this on a regular basis, I believe it will be alright. I was use the half Dr. Mix with tide on my towels and with my hubby's jeans and tee-shirts too. I hope this answers your question and doesn't confuse the mess outta you. {{{ Hugs }}}}
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    I have never noticed a smell with my wool dryer balls. I was going to economize with regular yarn rolled into balls, but of course it didn't work. To make them, you use 100% wool yarn & wind into a ball, put in a nylon stocking, tie off between balls, & wash & dry a couple of times with hot water & hot dryer. Take them out of stocking & good to go. The hot water & dryer felts the wool yarn & they won't come apart. If they get dirty...rolling across the floor, lol, I just throw them back in washer with a load of towels. To economize (because wool yarn is expensive) I started with a regular yarn ball & then layered the 100% wool yarn over it quite a bit. Mine are pretty colors...pink, blue & white.

    Thanks for this R and L! I saw these at Marshalls for about 3.99 or 4.99--they also have them at T.J. Maxx too (for the peeps that don't want to make them)

    wool_dryer_balls_light_and_dark_eco_friendly_handmade_in_nepal_energy_saver_gwvgykuho-400x400.jpg

    http://www.dapurkarir.com/wool-dryer-balls-light-and-dark-eco-friendly-handmade-in-nepal-energy-saver-gwvgykuho.html

    https://www.rockymountainoils.com/dryer-balls.html?source=googleshopping&adnetwork&shopping-generic=s&adtag1=&adcreative=98481498129&adposition=1o1&admatchtype=&adkeyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8drEt_O34gIVTj0MCh0Uxg8GEAQYASABEgImMPD_BwE
    edited May 26
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,735Member Member Posts: 2,735Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thank you for the info about the "mix" with Dr. Bronner and the regular washing machine detergent. Got it without confusion. And thank you for the information, pictures, and link about the dryer balls ( :D). I will look for them next time that I visit Marshall or T.J.M.

    G <3
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Thank you for the info about the "mix" with Dr. Bronner and the regular washing machine detergent. Got it without confusion. And thank you for the information, pictures, and link about the dryer balls ( :D). I will look for them next time that I visit Marshall or T.J.M.

    G <3

    My absolute pleasure and I'm so glad you've got the directions without confusion. Also, thank you once again for your contribution to this thread--you've helped more people than you will ever know...including me!
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 500Member Member Posts: 500Member Member
    Spent the morning cleaning up insulation at our rental property. A tree fell on it during the hurricane last fall. There's no electricity and we're in a heat wave (97 degrees), so it was not fun. I got a good workout though!
  • serendipity22serendipity22 Posts: 244Member Member Posts: 244Member Member
    Weight blastification progress report:

    Still at 147lbs...BUT, my waist and tummy are shrinking slowly but surely and I'm thrilled about that--but got a WAYSSSSS to go on my tummy area (7-10 more pounds to meet my goal of 140-137lbs) Honey, forever BLASTING away those last several/10lbs AINT NO JOKE--but I'm in no hurry, but will be EXTRA thrilled when it's gone. SLOW AND STEADY wins the race AND no loose skin, so I'm glad ECSTATIC about that. IF my tummy were smaller, I'd definitely be a solid size 6 for sure for sure. Here's some size 8's I wore yesterday that drove my hubby cra-cra! He kept telling me over and over how beautiful I am and how much he loves my style. Even all day today he's been telling me how good looking and attractive I am--ALL day yesterday and today, It's like when we were much younger and I'm having to beat him off with a stick (that's GOOD news by the way ;) )


    wwjykl6ksfra.jpg
    LOOK at how much room I have in the waist of these teeny pants!


    c2pxe59dh8ky.jpg
    LOOK at how much room I have in the waist of these teeny pants!

    m76lmk1iuf0v.jpg

    dxrdjngtmx7r.jpg


    ae5qynke1ot8.jpg


    I super want the excess flab/fat on/in/around my tummy to make like a shepard and get the flock outta here, BUT it's going to take time and I'm willing to WAIT and be content and full of JOY in the Lord o:) and continue my "work", my progress/meeting my goal(s) SLOWLY BUT SURELY too, period. Also, I've been super lack on my "real" exercise game (instead of my N.E.A.T. exercising) and it's time to humble myself and really get in my homegym and lift and do a lot more walking and swimming and stuff!

    PLUS...I found this old photo from a few years ago (circa 2014-2016 AND the heavy weight I was when I started this decluttering/weight blastification in late 2017-2018):
    cp8np06etq6h.jpg


    NOW
    jl4k2dpu4sti.png

    o:) <3 <3 o:) <3 <3 o:)

    Good Job! I love the bunny slippers.
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,735Member Member Posts: 2,735Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME

    Congratulations, well done! I think that if you remove the socks and the "bunnies", you will probably weigh less... :D
  • cory17cory17 Posts: 449Member Member Posts: 449Member Member
    @newlifestyle You are crushing it! I remember the prior photos and your waist is definitely fading away. Great job
  • snoo61snoo61 Posts: 500Member Member Posts: 500Member Member
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME you are doing great! Congrats girl, you look fabulous!
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Spent the morning cleaning up insulation at our rental property. A tree fell on it during the hurricane last fall. There's no electricity and we're in a heat wave (97 degrees), so it was not fun. I got a good workout though!

    I'm super sorry about the tree falling on your rental property :'( That said...you attitude is simply THE BEST and I truly love it. I love/admire that though it was a super tough job, in really UGH-ish conditions, that you would CHOOSE to make lemonade out of lemons and call what you're doing a "good workout though". That's inspirational winner stuff/talk there--BOOM! YAY YOU Snoo <3 o:) <3
    snoo61 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME you are doing great! Congrats girl, you look fabulous!

    {{{{{ Hugs and High Five sistergirl }}}}}}}}} THANK you so much for posting, means a LOT to lil ole me :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4MENewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 3,993Member Member Posts: 3,993Member Member
    Weight blastification progress report:


    o:) <3 <3 o:) <3 <3 o:)

    Good Job! I love the bunny slippers.

    {{{{{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}}}}}} LOVE your user name and you too! Thanks so much for posting. I love my weird/cute socks and slippers too. Keeps we smiling when I'm looking down dontcha know.
Sign In or Register to comment.