Keto diet: Canola oil and yogurt yes/no

Google Keto and yogurt or Keto and Canola oil and you will find many many people telling you no to both.

I've read "The art and science of low carbohydrate living" by Dr. Volek and Dr. Phinney and it says that good yogurt (not the sugary flavored stuff found all over) is great for this diet as the processes used to cultivate it actually destroys any sugars so therefore the sugar listed can be removed from the equation. They also list Canola oil as a proper low carb cooking oil to use..... and they say it multiple times.

So if what is considered to be one of the holy books of keto days they are accepted...... who decided otherwise and why?

Side note: I've been keto off and on for 2 years, always avoided the 2 items as it's what I was always told to do.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Yogurt works for me but I do not do grain oils due triggering more inflammation in my body.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Rather than selecting foods, you can just watch your total carbs. Whole Greek yogurt can be eaten in reasonable amounts. It does have a few carbs. I'm not sure what the objection to canola oil would be.
  • GaleHawkins
    I bet is they are on the outside label the carbs are inside of the container.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,550 Member
    Carbs aren't destroyed during cultivation. I make my own yogurt and belong to a Facebook yogurt group and have never heard this. I wish it was true! Higher fat yogurt (plain) has lower sugar so I recommend it if you can fit the carbs in.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    By volume the sugar is roughly the same, regardless of fat percentage. By weight it's a little more due to fat being heavier (but not that much). By calorie of course it's more and the fat can help with keto macros too.

Fage, same size container:

0% -- 170 g, 5 g sugar, 18 g protein
    2% -- 200 g, 6 g sugar, 20 g protein
    5% (full fat) -- 200 g, 6 g sugar, 18 g protein
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Google Keto and yogurt or Keto and Canola oil and you will find many many people telling you no to both.

I've read "The art and science of low carbohydrate living" by Dr. Volek and Dr. Phinney and it says that good yogurt (not the sugary flavored stuff found all over) is great for this diet as the processes used to cultivate it actually destroys any sugars so therefore the sugar listed can be removed from the equation. They also list Canola oil as a proper low carb cooking oil to use..... and they say it multiple times.

So if what is considered to be one of the holy books of keto days they are accepted...... who decided otherwise and why?

Side note: I've been keto off and on for 2 years, always avoided the 2 items as it's what I was always told to do.

Eh. I don't use any oil to cook with, but the mayonnaise I buy (Duke's) does have canola oil in it. I enjoy the taste and it's the only major American brand that doesn't contain sugar. I'm aware that canola is considered a no no on keto, but it's not really a hill I want to die on. So far it hasn't caused a problem.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    That's not the claim. The claim is that you can ignore the carbs on a package of greek yogurt.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2019
    https://quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/ask-diva-what-happens-milk-when-you-make-yogurt

"Fermenting milk doesn’t significantly change the fat, calories, or protein content of milk but it does change the make-up of the carbohydrates. The beneficial bacteria that turn milk into yogurt digest the sugar (lactose) in milk and produce lactic acid, which is what gives yogurt its tart tang. Although the total amount of carbohydrates is about the same, the lactose levels in commercial yogurt may be anywhere from 20 to 50% lower than milk. The longer you ferment your yogurt, the less lactose it will have (and the more tart it will be). Straining your yogurt to make a Greek style yogurt removes even more of the lactose. However, you’ll also lose about half of the calcium. "

Now I understand why I may have been drawn to Greek style yogurt after hating it all of my life. Due to my off the chart high Vitamin D level I need to limit my calcium intake so Greek Yogurt may help in that way in my case.

lactate.com/questions/question_01a_what_is_lactate.html
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate them all!!