Workout/Gym/Diet Rant thread

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2019
    Well, not one to complain about gym stuff usually but it gets kind of distracting when kids are running loose (no parents in site or rationale why they are there) in the gym @ like 2am (around my usual time because of my schedule) & come up to me & start asking me questions about how to lose weight whilst I am smack dab in the middle of a set (just awkward as hell!). Have had youngins sneak into the gym once asking members for money...>< (thankfully they were kicked out eventually)
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Well, not one to complain about gym stuff usually but it gets kind of distracting when kids are running loose (no parents in site or rationale why they are there) in the gym @ like 2am (around my usual time because of my schedule) & come up to me & start asking me questions about how to lose weight whilst I am smack dab in the middle of a set (just awkward as hell!). Have had youngins sneak into the gym once asking members for money...>< (thankfully they were kicked out eventually)

Not for nothing, but depending on the age of the "kids", they may be breaking curfew. It may be worth your while to Google the ordinance in your town. I suppose being at the gym is better than other activities they could be doing at 2 am, but there are avenues to curb this, if you chose to.
  • Keto_Vampire
    edited May 2019
    oocdc2 wrote: »

Not for nothing, but depending on the age of the "kids", they may be breaking curfew. It may be worth your while to Google the ordinance in your town. I suppose being at the gym is better than other activities they could be doing at 2 am, but there are avenues to curb this, if you chose to.

Definitely under age...not worth it to stop everything I'm doing go grab a cell phone, etc. from out of my locker & report to authorities. Only happens rarely (twice in past year). Will bring up with the solo gym staff; still just annoying to deal with little kids who run amuck & show no respect in the gym (mess around with equipment & have no gym etiquette whatsoever).

I honestly don't give a damn as long as they stay out of the weight/cardio sections and just want to play basketball or something (beats heroin right)
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    - The guy who sits on the bench behind me and stops his sets just to stare at my butt when I'm deadlifting. Dude, I can see you in the mirror. Stop it.
    - The guy who doesn't work at the gym but comes to fiddle with my squat machine while I'm using it because it makes a weird clicking sound (I think it's because I'm taller than the average user). I'm not doing anything wrong and there's nothing for you to fix. You don't work here. Move along.
    - The lady who stands behind me at the checkout line in the supermarket and comments out loud "See, this is why westerners are so fat" to no one in particular while pointing at all the boneless, skinless chicken breasts I was buying. Lady, I speak your language and understand your rudeness. And no, chicken breasts are not the reason people are overweight *facepalm*.
  • Keto_Vampire
    - The guy who sits on the bench behind me and stops his sets just to stare at my butt when I'm deadlifting. Dude, I can see you in the mirror. Stop it.
    - The guy who doesn't work at the gym but comes to fiddle with my squat machine while I'm using it because it makes a weird clicking sound (I think it's because I'm taller than the average user). I'm not doing anything wrong and there's nothing for you to fix. You don't work here. Move along.
    - The lady who stands behind me at the checkout line in the supermarket and comments out loud "See, this is why westerners are so fat" to no one in particular while pointing at all the boneless, skinless chicken breasts I was buying. Lady, I speak your language and understand your rudeness. And no, chicken breasts are not the reason people are overweight *facepalm*.

sqmwybl5h6r4.png
    Yep, boneless chicken breast macros just scream obesity and cardiovascular disease...#food label "edumacation"
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    23CC23 wrote: »
    Ok ok I got a dumb one...

I’ve lost 13.4lbs this last month and NOT one person other than my bestie who goes to the gym with me has noticed/said anything. I mentioned it to some people and they didn’t even acknowledge my achievement.

Like... heeeeellllloooooo?! Pats on head please?! 😂😂😂😱

I hear you. I had lost 40 pounds when a friend asked me if I was still going to the gym or did I give up on that. I just wanted to cry. Good advice somebody told me...it takes 4 weeks for you to notice weight change, 8 weeks for your family and close friends to notice, and 12 weeks for co-workers and acquaintances. I was at about 10 weeks into my weight loss journey when I got the gym comment.

You're doing awesome. Keep it up!!

Connie in KY
  • KMatovina
    KMatovina Posts: 16 Member
    mcemino2 wrote: »
    I hate how much I think about food. I hate how often my thought process goes like this:

1. I want *insert craving*.
    2. No. I don't need *insert craving*. It's just a craving.
    3. But that craving isn't going away.
    4. Maybe I should just go ahead and get the food.
    5. I don't need it.
    6. If I ate it, I'd just feel bad about my will power.
    7. Yeah, but if I ate it, maybe the craving will go away.
    8. Okay. This is the LAST time I'm eating this.
    9. Everything's going to change after this. I'll be good from now on.
    10. Now that I've eaten it, I've completely screwed up.
    11. Eh, since I've already screwed up, I might as well just do what I want today.
    12. Well, now I'm ashamed of myself.
    13. But maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

I'm really working to break this cycle!

Absolutely agree, especially on the weekends.

This has been an inner loop for me for years. I get going really well with a diet and exercise plan, then all of a sudden here come the cravings that I have to actively work to fight off. I feel lame for battling and even more lame the times I finally give in. It feels like it shouldn't be that difficult but...it is. Glad I'm not alone on that one.
  • pilia13
    pilia13 Posts: 3 Member
    Getting older and not being able to burn off the calories like I used to (very frustrating).
  • 23CC23
    23CC23 Posts: 10 Member
    I got another one!

Dude-bro walking into the gym in jeans and boots with his dude-bro sidekick who walked in with his dirty construction site clothes. They then proceed to grunt and laugh obnoxiously for the next hour or so.

Finally they leave.... but don’t even bother cleaning the equipment they used.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    23CC23 wrote: »
    I got another one!

Dude-bro walking into the gym in jeans and boots with his dude-bro sidekick who walked in with his dirty construction site clothes. They then proceed to grunt and laugh obnoxiously for the next hour or so.

Finally they leave.... but don’t even bother cleaning the equipment they used.

Ew. :s
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    I am sick of the following inner monologue.

Body: "Yo lets eat that!"
    Brain: "No"
    Body: "Ooohh Lets eat THIS!"
    Brain: "Dude, no"
    Body: "Ok, ok but lets just have one of these!!"
    Brain: "BODY SHUT UP!! YOU KNOW THE CALORIE COUNT!!"

We go to war everyday and only come together when the food diary is done and that sense of pride washes over us.

Are you me? 'Cause you sound like me.
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    Love this thread . . can I please add a rant or two?
    (1) texting or surfing your social media feed in the squat rack. C'mon man! We have two squat racks in the gym and there always in use. I respect / admire that your putting up serious weight and you need to resting between sets. I get that. But how much time, 15 minutes? There's one guy that camps out in the squat rack, gym bag, shoes and stuff all around. Maybe I'm overreacting. Don't get me wrong, if I ask if I can jump in and do a set, no one has turned me down or said no. I would much rather not interrupt someone during their gym time.
    (2) opposite sex in the gym, yes, I know that sounds weird. What is the proper way to interact with women in the gym when you need to share equipment and so on? Let me preface by saying that I’m a happily married man. In no way do I want to make any women feel uncomfortable. Maybe I’m hyper-sensitive? I love using the spin bikes at the gym, there in a small room with a projector and you can play videos with instructors which keep you motivated. Anyway . . . if there is a women using the room, I just avoid it altogether. One, I don’t want to interrupt someone workout and then I don’t want to be the creepy “hey, can I stare at you while I ride a spin bike?” guy at the gym.

Rant over . . thanks . . would welcome any suggestions.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    @RelCanonical . . . Good question. To be honest, if another guy was using the room, I'd say "hey do you mind if I jump on the spin bike?" so I guess I should do the same.

Yeah, that's the best way to go about it. Creepers tend to make themselves obvious so don't worry about that. Focus on your workout and everything else should sort itself out. It's the hyperfocus on women that we tend to pick up on.