WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Barbara Ditto what Beth said about the tax woes. It seems as if the little Turbo Tax fairy would have asked you if you were SURE you wanted to check that box...

Karen in Virginia
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    sparkle43 wrote: »
    Hi. You can call me Sparkle. I live in Canada. I live in a resort town . I sent Geri Patchwork a email. If she knows how to pick it up from her mail.

Hi Sparkle, can't see an e-mail yet. Love your art work.

Geri, UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :'( No picnic today because of the rain. It seems to rain here on Memorial Day Weekend every year even when it has been dry and warm before and after. Jake fixed us a nice lunch using the cole slaw I'd made to take to the picnic. The picnic will be rescheduled for next weekend so I'll make more coleslaw for that.

:) I don't often have a rest day so today I've tried to stay seated a bit more and finish some bookkeeping and scanning tasks that I keep putting off. I'll have to work a bit to get to 10,000 steps. Walking back and forth in the house may be my solution. I don't usually mind walking in the rain, but today seems especially icky.

:) Now that I'm not working or going to school, my objection to holiday weekends is that I have to be mindful that the banks, post office, and library are closed and that I might not be able to do the business I normally do. When I was working, I loved the extra day off. However, when I was teaching, too many students went camping or the beach over Memorial Day Weekend and came back to school feeling like it was already summer in spite of all the class work we still had to complete.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Carol in Hot Atlanta Georgia! :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited May 2019
    Barbara: Thanks. I managed my reduced step goal today. Didn't make it yesterday, though. Game of Thrones is a Fantasy TV series. Lol! It's filmed in studios in Belfast, and there are many local locations. It's given a great boost to tourism in Northern Ireland.
    Katla: It's the main motor although it is stern mounted. We have a small emergency outboard, but I wouldn't use it for normal cruising. Our boat is a small cabin cruiser.
    @sparkle43 I love your imagination interpretation of your photo.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    I'm gonna try to have a good and normal day after this high stress week.

I try to do this once each week if possible. :)

KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- It is beyond me how any one could find fault with how you and your DH are progressing post injury!! Every time you post a new thing your hubby is doing, I am just astounded and thrilled with how things are progressing! Really! IF I remember correctly, the doctor's weren't too confident in his ability to gain much independence post injury. I love that you are encouraging him to get back to the things he loves. IMO, THAT is where he will find his independence! Doing what he loves. Hugs to both of you! Back in the "saddle"!

That's right. There were several weeks where we thought he might end up in a permanent care facility. I had actually started looking into options. Thankfully he proved us wrong!

LisaInAR wrote: »
    My weight is back down to where it was the day of my knee replacement on Feb. 5, 183.5, which makes me very happy. The iron isn't gumming up my system too badly, and the Crohns-type symptoms have completely disappeared after the week of antibiotics, so I'm grateful for my health today, as the respiratory thing that started three days after the antibiotics is also almost cleared up.

Congrats on the weight loss and glad to hear that your health is improving! :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited May 2019
    Again my hope is that mental illness be treated like any other serious medical condition and the well fare of the person comes first. When a person is having an episode it is just as serious as a diabetic crash, a stroke, a heart attack. The sooner treatment is given the better the outcome for the person involved.
    @Machka9 I can’t get over the incompetence of that RTW team you have been saddled with.

Margaret, I feel the same way about my husband's fatigue. Fatigue is a huge issue with people recovering from brain injury and it's so much more than just the tired we feel at the end of the day. When he shuts down, he shuts down and it is a lot like a diabetic crash. He has trouble thinking, talking, walking, anything. The experts in brain injury recognise this and have a collection of suggestions to help, most of which we've adopted and when we follow the suggestions, things cruise along fairly well.

But the RTW people just keep telling me that "he'll get over it" and "everyone feels tired". They refuse to acknowledge it.

Well folks, second try to post. I have had a bit of a stressful time. Three weeks ago, my left knee problem recurred, then, a couple of days later, I I got a cruddy sinus/throat virus. On 10/05 we went on our holiday to Croatia, but neither of us was really fit enough to do the scheduled walks. Despite this, we pockled about at our own pace and managed to have a lovely time. However, moving hotels twice during the week was not a good idea. Then on Wednesday last week, I tripped on a step, landied on my already crook knee, and staved my right wrist and elbow. (They do say things happen in 3s! Lol!) Each if these on its own would have been a minor inconvenience, but one by one, they reduced me to a frustrated helpless baby who could barely walk or feed herself.

However, I may have been down, but I am not out.
    • Knee pain has subsided and I can now walk fairly normally and, although daily steps are reduced, I am working them back up
    • Cruddy virus is almost gone
    • Doing physio on my elbow is gradually restoring its previous mobility although it has gone through several lurid bruise stages.
    ☘️ Terri

So sorry to hear that your holiday did not turn out as planned ... but glad to hear that you're recovering.
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I love the photos. Are you sure it is winter there? Beautiful!!! :flowerforyou:

It's not quite winter ... not till June 1. :) But our winters are like the Pacific Northwest ... chilly, wet, and windy. However, we've been having a beautiful autumn, so we've been able to get out and enjoy it a bit.

auntiebk wrote: »
    It took an hour with TurboTax tech support to download and access all the 2017 detail I needed to find where I made my error. While inputting 1099 information, I mistakenly Xd the “Taxable amount not determined” box. Under reported income affected taxable social security, medical deduction insufficient percentage of income, changed OR and ID income tax due and 2018 Fed and OR taxes since instead of a taxable refund we have to pay... and pay... and pay. Spent an hour holding and another hour listening to IRS tax advocate who was tremendously sympathetic and tried to guide me into the reasons considered acceptable for a waiver of penalty (records destroyed due fire or flood, or lost during a move) but alas none apply. I had the records, I made a mistake. Will review absolutely every possible deduction to try to reduce the liability and interest but am not hopeful. She did say we could make payments and the interest rate on remaining due is better than credit card interest (6%). I'll see if tax payment qualifies for rewards on my bank credit card and if the rewards exceed the 1.96% the processor would charge. Either way, I'm very thankful I've kept a small emergency IRA account. With the roof and dental work this year, I cannot justify taking on any more debt.

Really sorry to hear you're going through all that!! :( I've got a bit of that to take care of when my course finishes. They don't make it easy.
    auntiebk wrote: »

Machka forgive my bicycle ignorance but what is a fixed gear and why was he able to ride now for the first time?

A fixed gear is a direct drive bicycle like a spin bike (not like a stationary bike, but like a proper spin bike) ... only, a fixed gear is ridden outside. There is only one gear and you can't coast. Some people really like them because they offer more control ... I would kind of like to try one but in all the years I've known about them, I haven't worked up the courage.

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Biggest Loser Boot Camp DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Leslie Sansone’s 5 Day Walk DVD.

Well, it’s official. I gained 5.5lb while at Denise’s.

Allie – Vince takes Uloric for his gout. When he first got the gout, he wished someone would cut off his toe, the pain was so intense. My heart goes out to you

Welcome everyone new! You’re welcome any time during the month

Made more chocolate bran muffins. It’s nice out so you know where I’ll be later. Oh DeeDee (where has she been?) always used to get on my case about sunscreen. Well, one tube down (another one ready)

I’m afraid I’m getting trigger finger in my right thumb again. I seem to have lost some strength in it and I THOUGHT it was “clicking” while I was in the pool. Guess we shall see about the trigger finger.

Started working on Pete’s Diamond Dotz. Everything I’ve read says that you should work one area at a time. I find working one color at a time to be easier. Guess I’ll go do more. Church tonight

I was asked to usher at church.

M – you are amazing.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Evening ladies
    Up waaaaay past my bedtime.. had a great time they had a bonfire going at the place we went but was glad to bring a coat and blanket..I smell like smoke.. but I like that smell..dr called today and is giving me another script for prednisone ..just to stave off any more pn.will pick it up tomorrow
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited May 2019
    Today laundry mountain excavated; Tumble accepted a dog she doesn't like and only barked at the new dog; prepped a bowl of veggies for Joe; started amending the returns.
    Lanette, thank you so much for your comments about the bank paperwork error and taxes, a distant memory bell tinkled...
    Looks like the under reported income is exactly the amount of an old IRA my financial advisor found and ... I believe... rolled over into the IRA we have with her company. We sure didn't have it to spend! Hope that was the case and she can provide written proof of rollover. We'll have to wait 'til Tuesday to hear from her, but I'm feeling hopeful. Feel it's my reward for starting working on the amended filing instead of procrastinating ;)

Tomorrow should be dry so after church and Freddie's I'll walk Tumble down toward the cistern looking for fresh tracks, work compost in around fruit trees, and otherwise play in the dirt.

Beth, I've always done our taxes (even back in the pre-TurboTax, pencil, paper and big pink eraser days) but the year before I retired we consulted a CPA. He gave us excellent advice both about when to claim social security, and what to do with the 401Ks. It's also REALLY important to make an appointment with Social Security several MONTHS before turning 65, not just for Social Security info but for Medicare. There are deadlines that can be very costly to miss.
    Karen in VA what you said about "rich tapestry..." beautiful and spot on! TurboTax fairy oh yeah!
    Allie I love your menu choices. You make keto sound appealing!
    Terri Ah! GoTs=Game of Thrones! Y'all are tempting me to check out from library...
    Rebecca roast beef yum!
    Machka you and your husband's smiles say it all. I tremble remembering where he was a year ago. Only one gear and can't coast? :noway:
    Barbie, love your 10,000 step day of rest :)
    Michele glad to hear you're using your sunscreen. As someone who's had 4 skin cancers removed can tell you, it hurts!

Think I'll be able to sleep now ;)
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 14/31, 60 g protein 21/31, rx/vits 21/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 5/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 13/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 17/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!