40+yrs motivation group. We aren't getting any younger!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    I am keto also. Have been for a few years minus the pregnant and breastfeeding time. The low carbers daily forum board on here is soo very helpful with new recipes and ideas and info when it comes to sticking to keto.
  • kelbels1
    kelbels1 Posts: 83 Member
    One month into my Keto Diet and I am down 15 lbs. the best part is how much more comfortable my clothes are (their actually loose straight from the dryer!)
  • kelbels1
    Did you know burgers are really good without a bun???? It was like a burger salad with smoked Gouda cheese. Yummy enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.
  • dragontam73
    dragontam73 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone I am 45 and a couple of years ago I realised that I needed to do something before my ‘youth’ passed me by and I wasn’t as mobile as I wanted to be going forward in my life and decided to make a change. I lost 18kg but over the past year I have put back on 10kg (even whilst doing Jenny Craig) and have been unable to find the motivation to halt the process. Lots of time I say right this will be the start day. Well I am saying that again. Last night I completed my diary for today so I can ensure I will stay with my calories and looking to engage a bit more with the online community.

Looking forward to the chats.
  • dragontam73
    dragontam73 Posts: 3 Member
    By the way my profile pic was last year before I started putting weight on again in a memade dress. Goals !!!
  • kelbels1
    Happy Mother’s Day everyone. Super excited about the 2 lb. loss
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Hi everyone I am 45 and a couple of years ago I realised that I needed to do something before my ‘youth’ passed me by and I wasn’t as mobile as I wanted to be going forward in my life and decided to make a change. I lost 18kg but over the past year I have put back on 10kg (even whilst doing Jenny Craig) and have been unable to find the motivation to halt the process. Lots of time I say right this will be the start day. Well I am saying that again. Last night I completed my diary for today so I can ensure I will stay with my calories and looking to engage a bit more with the online community.

After you log for a few weeks maybe you will see some areas that might have contributed to the gain. I realized my portions of protein were way to big. So although typically eating a lot of non processed and fresh foods, I was eating way too much in size.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member

I hope I quoted you correctly! It sounds like you are on the right track. It helps a lot to be consistent with logging. Also, make sure to weigh everything on a food scale, you'd be surprised at how many calories are in some things, like peanut butter! Make small changes and you'll be more likely to stick with them. I also think interacting with the community is a good idea. Knowing I have friends on here that can see my diary helps me from going over my calories!
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    I'm 42 and this past January I decided it was time for change. When I first started this journey I was definitely ignorant in most things nutrition science relate. I started experimenting with a 5:2 diet; five days of eating clean (2500 calories) with two 600 calorie fasting days. It was difficult, but after six weeks of dedication (ZERO cheat days) it got pretty easy. This was key to getting my fat burning started. After dropping 20 lbs on the 5:2 I decided to change up my approach, and begin tracking macros and knock off the fasting. Initially I was too high on the protein, low on fat, and mid carbs, and I just felt off and hungry all the time. After weeks of reading article and messing with macros I think I found a happy place that helped me lose the last 10 lbs of my goal. I calculated my TDEE to be about 2796 calories (6'3, initially 212lbs, and about 25% body fat). I started with a conservative 500 calorie deficit (20%) and set my macros to: Protein 0.8g - 1.0g/lb of body weight; Fat 0.4g-0.5g/lb of body weight; remaining to carbs. I hit the gym six days a week for three days of strength training and two days of HIIT, and one day of road or mountain biking. I turned OFF the "include my exercise in MFP" option because those burn rates could be off significantly; it may lead you to think you're in a deficit when you're actually not. It's now May and I'm at 179 lbs and 14-15% body fat. I don't have empirical data, but I'm certain the catalyst for me was ramping my fat intake from 40 grams a day up to 80 to 90 grams a day, and trying to hit the daily values of potassium and fiber. I feel great every day (I eat 6 times a day in 2-3 hour intervals) and no longer have the constant hunger pangs.
  • andISeeMyFitness
    andISeeMyFitness Posts: 16 Member
    Seems like I got active here on a good day. I'm also a 5:2 practitioner so it's nice to hear people getting good results with it. I've been a MFP user for a long time but I haven't been active here in the forums before. I haven't been tracking calories lately either (except for the few fasting days per week).

My story is probably the usual kind. Got interested in fitness way too late in life (~5 years ago). Now I'm just over 40 and have changed my life pretty nice. Started from 117 kg (257 lbs) and got to 84 kg (185 lbs) at best.

I hurt my leg running last spring which brought me a bit of motivation crisis and caused me to gain weight. I hurt my leg again this spring but this time I've managed to stay active with weight training and cycling. I also started intermittent fasting after a long time to get these extra pounds off.
  • kelbels1
    I know keto isn’t for everyone but I have really been doing well in it. That is no small task considering I am In my late 40’s. Just dropped my first 20 lbs. I just made these mini zucchini breads that are only 175 calories per serving (1/2 loaf). So I thought I would share for anyone interested
    https://lowcarbyum.com/zucchini-bread/
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    I'm certain the catalyst for me was ramping my fat intake from 40 grams a day up to 80 to 90 grams a day, and trying to hit the daily values of potassium and fiber. I feel great every day (I eat 6 times a day in 2-3 hour intervals) and no longer have the constant hunger pangs. [/quote]

Hitting the potassium goals are so difficult for me, on a reduced calorie diet! What’s helped you the most?

• tformal
    tformal Posts: 2 Member
    in the post forty group.. the old habits catch up to quickly at this age. I used to get away with emotional eating in my twenties and my body would rebound back to shape easy as long as I exercised a bit. Its harder at 40! .. add me peeps :)
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    I'm certain the catalyst for me was ramping my fat intake from 40 grams a day up to 80 to 90 grams a day, and trying to hit the daily values of potassium and fiber. I feel great every day (I eat 6 times a day in 2-3 hour intervals) and no longer have the constant hunger pangs.

Hitting the potassium goals are so difficult for me, on a reduced calorie diet! What’s helped you the most?

[/quote]

Taking a potassium supplement and eating a lot of fish, spinach, brussel spouts, squash, and non-fat plain greek yogurt. I also take and Omega-3 and Magnesium supplement.
  • kristinlzeller
    kristinlzeller Posts: 1 Member
    I am 45, nearly 46, and am at my highest weight ever. I want to feel better and look better, so I can enjoy life more. I am looking to include more plants in my diet, reduce my portion sizes, and cut out junk. I want to lose weight and become more active. I know this is possible with determination and focus.

I see you are all on similar journeys. May I join your group?
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    What a great group. I’m turning 40 in 6 weeks. When in was turning 30, I also for a wild hair and started eating better and working out. I fell out of it since having 2 kids but I’d like to get back.

I’m not keto (I so better with an “all things in moderation” approach) but I’d like to join this thread for support!
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 639 Member
    Woo, 41 here. Just been bouncing around at the high end of 'normal' BMI for the last decade (have perma-lost 12 lbs since restarting tracking with MFP this year, though!), and want to get back to the weight I was at when I joined the Navy back in my 20s, which was closer to the lower end of normal BMI. It's just vanity reasons (and because losing 20-25 more lbs would REALLY help climbing mountains on my bicycle, as I don't have the money to lose any more weight off the bike itself), really.

Have to concur with bionicpuffy above. Not keto and never will be - I am a carb fanatic, namely because I run and cycle like a maniac and have the goal of doing an Ironman at age 50 (I am actually saving the money to do a 1/2 Ironman in 4 years - 45's going to be a heck of a year for me!). Carbs are WONDERFUL for that necessary energy during endurance rides and long runs (tries a century ride without carb loading beforehand once - by mile 80, I made the vow that such would never happen again, because I felt like warmed-over death and had nothing viable in the tank). Just strict CICO for me. But what the heck, whatever works works, amirite?
  • rajjivahaloh
    rajjivahaloh Posts: 32 Member
    I better be here :) Age 47, highest lifetime weight (though still healthy), and six weeks of mindful eating this spring had zero impact on pounds -that was a first!

Joined MFP yesterday, did new eating and movement yesterday and so far today... But at 6pm on Day 2 I'm newly hungry and sleepy and want a pick me up! Even a skim capp would do, but that's another drive or long walk. Guess I'll make the closest thing at home and have a snack. 6pm in my timezone, with room for two more meals (or meal and snack), so I guess eating is the best thing to do!
  • kelbels1
    I better be here :) Age 47, highest lifetime weight (though still healthy), and six weeks of mindful eating this spring had zero impact on pounds -that was a first!

Joined MFP yesterday, did new eating and movement yesterday and so far today... But at 6pm on Day 2 I'm newly hungry and sleepy and want a pick me up! Even a skim capp would do, but that's another drive or long walk. Guess I'll make the closest thing at home and have a snack. 6pm in my timezone, with room for two more meals (or meal and snack), so I guess eating is the best thing to do!

I find that planning meals and snacks is pretty critical to my success. I tend to make better choices. I do keep sugar free pudding in hand and have learned to bake Keto Recipes that are no sugar and higher proteins. Find easy grab snacks that are healthy like a handful of nuts or cut up veggies. And log in daily to see where your calories are coming from. Being aware is very important. Over time you will become more intuitive on that.