WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Nice quiet day here. No storm since early this morning. Temperature when I was out walking after church was not too hateful. Of course, I was sweating profusely. While I may not be able to walk as long outside as the heat increases, I do want to keep up and get somewhat used to it. I go to Phoenix the first week in July and still plan on getting out for a few walks (of course, those will be at about 6 am when the sun comes up and it is only in the 90s!).

Busy group this is. Guess none of us got the memo we are supposed to slow down as we age!

Good evening to all.

Ginny in Ohio
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member

ginnytez wrote: »
    cmsavells wrote: »
    Janet - Tornados scare me so much. I was 10 during the April 3, 1974 outbreak. I could see the neighborhood one and a half miles from my house flying through the air. I had several close calls in Columbus, OH and several more close calls in Louisville, KY. Just so scary!!

Curious since I think you said somewhere you lived in Ohio, were you around the Xenia area for the 1974 tornado? I don't live far from there, but was away at college when it hit. We have had several tornadoes in my area so far this year, but more nuisance with some property damage--nothing like what others are living through.

I was a 10 year old in Louisville, KY in 1974. I remember Xenia getting hit hard.

I lived in Columbus from 2000-2008. I had a few close calls when I lived there too. That was also the first time I had encountered a storm alert system that announced where the tornado alert was in effect. I had lived there 2 weeks when there was a tornado on the ground at I-270 and US 33...problem being 33 intersects I-270 in the northwest and the southeast. I lived in the northwest of Columbus. The tornado was on the southeast side. It was a very scary storm.

Tough diet night tonight. My mom wanted Waffle House. She’s been sick so mom gets what mom wants!!

Connie in KY
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Allie ~ How far away is Fnl from you? You have a lot to do...which is admirable.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Leslie Sansone’s 5 Day Walk DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of AM Yoga DVD than do the Shape Ultimate Bikini Body DVD

Janetr – there was an article in the paper today about evacuations in OK and I couldn’t help but think of you. Stay safe

Barbara – I swear, in summertime, I must keep Coppertone in businesss….lol. Vince has complained “do you know what you’re doing to our filters” and my answer was “I’d rather pay for new filters than go thru chemo”. I know that using sunscreen is no guarantee that I’ll never get skin cancer…but I’ll do everything I can to reduce the possibility.

Terry – Diamond Dotz is a craft where you get a picture on this paper that’s been embossed with where you are to put the jewels (like paint-by-number). Then you get these TINY jewels that you put in the spots where they tell you to. It’s just time consuming. But the finished product looks really nice.

Lisa – you did a great job

Karen in VA – try to breathe, that’s all I can say

Think I’ll make a key lime pie for Vince and try putting the bacon in the air fryer to see how that turns out.

Bacon came out real good. I was afraid that it wouldn’t be flat, but it was. Now to find someplace to store this air fryer. I really don’t like having appliances on the counter, but it’s just so big even out of the box. Then went in the pool (what else?) Another tube of sunscreen in the recycling. This one was almost empty, anyway

Carol – how scary for your grandson! I too hope he will never do something like that again

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member

Hi Gals,
    Holidays/long weekends - I don’t really remember specifics from when I was a kid; but my guess is that it was not too much different than now… were I just enjoy a bit lazier of a weekend and often entertain – a BBQ or other easy dinner on the middle day for local friends. I’m not even sure if the TV programming is different, I almost never turn it on, so when I do I watch something that catches my attention or just turn it off. There are not too many of these “official” long weekend holidays – although I know that’s different by state, so in CA where I am there is Presidents day (mid-February), Memorial Day (end of may), Labor day (beginning of Sept. ) So just 3 long weekends – Then there is Independence day on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day the 4th Thursday in November, Christmas Day and January 1st. So just 7 times a year. As a small business owner it is up to me which of these I take off.

Yesterday the weather was nice in the mid 70s I sat around at a BBQ wishing I had my shorts on – today it is windy, the mid 50s and some showers…. So glad the BBQ was yesterday!!!

Kim from N. California
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) After yesterday's rain storm that lasted long enough to make the neighborhood bbq impossible, it is now warm and sunny and perfect for working in the yard and walking dogs which is what I did for a good part of the day. I limit my time spreading bark to one hour so I don't take a chance on damaging my back. I do most of the dog walking before 9 AM so the sun isn't a problem and I spread bark in a shady area.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,795 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Holidays/long weekends - I don’t really remember specifics from when I was a kid; but my guess is that it was not too much different than now… were I just enjoy a bit lazier of a weekend and often entertain – a BBQ or other easy dinner on the middle day for local friends. I’m not even sure if the TV programming is different, I almost never turn it on, so when I do I watch something that catches my attention or just turn it off. There are not too many of these “official” long weekend holidays – although I know that’s different by state, so in CA where I am there is Presidents day (mid-February), Memorial Day (end of may), Labor day (beginning of Sept. ) So just 3 long weekends – Then there is Independence day on the 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day the 4th Thursday in November, Christmas Day and January 1st. So just 7 times a year. As a small business owner it is up to me which of these I take off.
    Kim from N. California

These are Tasmania's Public Holidays ...
    https://publicholidays.com.au/tasmania/2019-dates/

Date Day Holiday
    1 Jan Tue New Year's Day
    28 Jan Mon Australia Day Holiday
    11 Feb Mon Royal Hobart Regatta
    11 Mar Mon Eight Hours Day
    19 Apr Fri Good Friday
    22 Apr Mon Easter Monday
    23 Apr Tue Easter Tuesday *
    25 Apr Thu Anzac Day
    10 Jun Mon Queen's Birthday
    24 Oct Thu Royal Hobart Show
    25 Dec Wed Christmas Day
    26 Dec Thu Boxing Day

So just 12 days.

Machka in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    ✔️1. weighed in 59.7 upward trend this week which corresponds to not tracking then munching
    ✔️ISH 2. tracked yesterday
    ✔️3.30 min exercise yest
    X 4. five minutes meditation yest
    X 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project yest
    X 6.produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term yest
    X 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    X 8. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    X9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork yest
    X 10.average 1100 calories net yesterday

• Overall Feeling : ok, but didn't sleep at all last night
    • Tracking : yes
    • Exercise : went for walk in forest, maybe an hour, plus to a museum
    • 1100 calories net average : no, Iabout 300-400 over
    • Long term writing 2h yesterday : no
    • produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term writing project yest (from May 25 to June 10, minus Sundays) yesterday : none
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday :no
    • Bright Spots : nice walk, saw some nice painting, some pleasant moments with friend, good nap, able to rest

Grateful :
    1. time to rest
    2. good tasing water
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Machka9 that sounds like peaceful holidays

@Snowflake1968 Tracey, good luck to both of us on getting back on track.

@cityjaneLondon Heather, it looks chilly there

@TerriRichardson112 Such pretty stars!

I had a late coffee and didn't sleep more than a few odd minutes last night.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Kim from N. California

These are Tasmania's Public Holidays ...
    https://publicholidays.com.au/tasmania/2019-dates/

Date Day Holiday
    1 Jan Tue New Year's Day
    28 Jan Mon Australia Day Holiday
    11 Feb Mon Royal Hobart Regatta
    11 Mar Mon Eight Hours Day
    19 Apr Fri Good Friday
    22 Apr Mon Easter Monday
    23 Apr Tue Easter Tuesday *
    25 Apr Thu Anzac Day
    10 Jun Mon Queen's Birthday
    24 Oct Thu Royal Hobart Show
    25 Dec Wed Christmas Day
    26 Dec Thu Boxing Day

So just 12 days.

Machka in Oz

More about holidays ...
    I wish there were one extra one in August. It's a long haul between Jun 10 and Oct 24. Many people book a 2-3 week holiday in there somewhere to kind of break winter up, and we would too if we could fly to Canada. But flying to Canada is out for a while. I'm sort of wondering about taking a normal weekend + 3 days or something and flying to Brisbane. At least it would be warmer there.

As for TV ...
    I grew up without a TV. I bought a little black and white one when I was in my late teens, and then got my first colour TV when I was 20 or 21.

Plus I've lived in a lot of places (Tasmania, where I am now included) that have an extremely limited selection of channels. I think we've got 10 now ... that's not too bad. When I moved to Australia we lived quite remotely and I think there were 4 channels. I seem to recall maybe about 10 years in Canada where we actually had a decent array of channels.

So ... I'm not that overly interested in TV. We will watch for a little while in an evening, while we're doing something else. I can't just sit and watch TV. Usually one evening a week we'll put on a movie because there's nothing on TV. And by about 10 pm, the TV is off and I've got music on.

Oh also, the programming seems to change here about every 3 months. So we might just start getting into a show, and they wrap it up. Then we get filler stuff for a few weeks. Then they might put something else on for a few weeks ... then they'll change its time. The minute you start thinking that Thursday nights are Poirot and Agatha Christie nights ... they'll take them off the air for 3 months and then bring them back on a Wednesday night.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited May 2019
    Nice weekend here. We are at the coast. I spent most of the time lazing in the sun with my son, but my husband and I also climbed proposal rock and hiked around on it a little while, then crossed the stream, and hiked through the ghost forest. Picture below. It is taking a while to load, so one will have to do for now. The picture below is Proposal Rock from the ghost forest down the beach.

vlhaoogomaoz.jpg
    Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon, currently in Neskowin, Oregon

Nice!! If we're in Oregon again, we might have to check it out. :)

Actually, I'm just looking at a map ... we must have driven right past it in Dec 2012. We had overnighted in Eugene, then drove to the coast and up the 101 to Astoria. And we got one of our first snowfalls of the trip in Astoria.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Last tutorial of the semester -- and was informed there is no tutorial today. I got up early and walked there for nothing.

So I walked to work. By 10 am, I'd already walked about 5 km.

Saw my podiatrist at lunch and I'm getting custom orthotics. We think my hip and back issues are related to what my feet are doing ... and they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing. I walk on the outsides of my feet to protect my arthritic joints.

Tonight will be homework, homework, homework!

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited May 2019
    Beth thank you.

Katla I am glad you found those activities that give you strength.
  • Machka9
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Yesterday, my grandson did a back flip off the side of a friend's pool and cracked his crown open. Had to have 6 staples put in. So glad the damage could be repaired and hope he learned his lesson. Things could have been so much worse.
    Carol in GA

That just gives me the shudders. I hope they kept him overnight and put him through an MRI and CT scan. They're discovering that even relatively little knocks to the head can cause problems.

I hope he does recover well.

M in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    edited May 2019
    @Machka9 'Last tutorial of the semester -- and was informed there is no tutorial today. I got up early and walked there for nothing.' That's annoying! I'm sure you had issues you wanted to discuss.
    @1948Peachy What a nightmare for everyone. I hope your grandson is recovering well!

This weekend has been especially enjoyable, since I spent quality time with both my girls, and my grandsons. DH husband is full of the joys of spring this morning. He has been rather down for the few of months because of his knee injury. (I know! We're a right pair of crocks at the moment!) He saw a Physiotherapist last Thursday and it seems to have perked him up no end.

Yesterday we had our usual Sunday visit with our daughter. The boys were quite chatty. I feel very lucky that she lives close enough to visit her each week, and that my elder grandson makes a point of being there. (He lives near uni (Queen's) in Belfast.)

Today I plan to plant up our containers for the terrace, if the weather stays dry. And then I will start to tackle the box hedges and lonicera cubes.

Tomorrow morning I will go to my Craft Group. I will probably do some cross-stitching.

I'm off now to do some physio for my knee and elbow.

I hope that whatever plans you have for today bring you joy and a sense of achievement.

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,022 Member
    @auntiebk Tomatoes and cucumber are in the greenhouse. Courgette are outside. I also bought a red pepper plant yesterday which will go in the greenhouse.

☘️ Terri
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Thanks for helping me understand the bank holidays a bit better. :star:

Rebecca: I love chicken soup, too. I hope you enjoyed yours. :smiley:

Felicia: I’ve been through Neskowin, but haven’t spent time down on the beach. I’ve never seen the ghost forest. It is a stunning photo. :smiley:

I’m up late. It is 1:40 am here. I think I’d better get to bed. We have guets and plan to have fun tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon