WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    @Machka9 'Last tutorial of the semester -- and was informed there is no tutorial today. I got up early and walked there for nothing.' That's annoying! I'm sure you had issues you wanted to discuss.

☘️ Terri

I just wish they would have let me know. I would have worked longer last night and got up at my normal time to straight into work. It made for a long day ... 10 hours from the time I left home till the time I came home.

Didn't help that it was quite chilly all day and although I dressed a bit warmer, I wasn't entirely prepared.

I'm in pyjamas with a blanket on me ... and about to dive into my project.

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    morning ladies~ I just woke up~ and I fell asleep before 8 :o .. guess my poor body needed it.. going to a small gathering today.. at my friends house and will bring Alfie.. he loves to go. it is a beautiful day out.. have the windows open, and the high will be 80..
    I did buy some mealworms yesterday for my bird friend and just sprinkle them on my retaining wall, and have a little feeder for them too..gulping down my tea and will be off to feed DFIL in a bit
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    On the subject of television, and entertainment genres in general - does anyone else think that original shows/movies/books/genres have become the exception, rather than the norm? I mean, as opposed to sequels, and prequels and remakes of older movies/stories? It seems that, once a story gets some popularity, the entertainment community just keeps doing the same thing, over and over, beating it to death. As a writer finds out, there is the old mythology that there are only seven stories or plots, or six if you like, but new characters and situations seem in short supply today. Or perhaps I'm just older now and I've seen more.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas

I agree and that's probably partly why I don't watch all that much TV anymore ... and don't go out to movies.

Where I work, if we join the Social Club, one of the perks is that on our birthdays we are offered either a single movie ticket or a "scratchy" lotto ticket.

I used to get the single movie ticket ... but it is so hard to find a movie to see. The first year, I hung onto the ticket for about 10 months, until it was nearly expired, waiting for a movie to turn up. Same thing the second and third years ... and now I get the "scratchy". I won $10 on it this year ... better than waiting forever for a movie.

Each time I go in to look at what's on, I'm confused by the selection. It's documentaries, Asian films, or remakes. If I really wanted to see documentaries, and sometimes I do, I watch them on TV. I'm not that interested in Asian films, and I've seen the originals of the remakes. Why is that the entire selection? Where are the good movies? I just had a quick look at our two theatres and there's nothing in Now Playing or Coming Soon that looks remotely interesting. (Toy Story 4? Seriously?)

I watched a lot of movies when I was younger we'd have movie marathon weekends where we and our friends would rent about 5 to 10 movies, get a bunch of pizzas, jumbo bags of potato chips, and several 2 litre bottles of pop and just keep watching all night long. If there was a movie one of us wasn't particularly interested in, that one would sleep for a couple hours and then keep going.

So maybe I have seen all the ones I like.

M in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    :)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Morning! Lovely day here so I did another batch/patch of yard work. It is a very healing thing to uncover the earth under all the leaves and muck. I am not making plans, just working to uncover a bit at a time at my own pace.

NYKAREN
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,821 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Monday/Memorial Day (for those in the U.S.)
    Carol- Trentin just turned 8 this month. He talks a blue streak. Most of his talk is video game related, of which I understand nothing. I must seem like I know all about video games; because he frequently asks me what he should do at certain levels (he gives me choices to choose from) and I just pick one that sounds exciting. lol He doesn't play them here as I have a no screen rule (I do let him watch a movie or two on these longer days that he is here). He has a vivid imagination, though. Yesterday, I had my bin of recycle stuff and he made lightning bolts out of paper towel tubes, wrapping paper tubes, and chenille stems (pipe cleaners). HE was pretending to be Zeus. As he was talking/playing he was trying to remember names of other "gods/demigods, etc" and I was filling in some of the blanks. Which lead us into a talk about Greek and Roman mythology. So...you do learn from play! Ouch! in regards to your grandson and his diving accident! My youngest son, Colin, had an accident during a game of hide and seek which resulted in 6 staples in his head. He was the star of kindergarten for a while, with that injury! lol
    Lisa- Grace and Frankie is the only show I am watching right now. Since we got rid of cable, I am not even watching the news. Just visiting our local news website each morning to get the weather and read the "highlights". Anyway, I LOVE Grace and Frankie! I am just finishing Season 3. I think. I haven't watched it since my last "binge" a couple of weeks ago. Lily Tomlin's character just cracks me up. She reminds me very much of my sister in law, who is very "hippy-dippy" and always marching for a cause.
    Machka and Lisa- Funny your comments about the movies. Colin and I were just talking the other day about this. It bothers both of us when the studios remake classic or very popular older movies. I think they do it to a)make it relevant to today's viewer by using actors that they are connected to and b)to improve on animation/special effects that weren't available when the movie was made, and, of course, c) to make easy money on a movie that has already proven it's popularity. There are a few movie series/sequels that we feel are all very good. For children's movies, ironically, we agree that the Toy Story series of movies is very, very good. We will see if #4 is as good as the others. I can tell you that, when it comes to children's movies, there is a huge difference in the way the kids watch the older Disney movies compared to the remakes or recent Disney productions. The older movies the music is softer, the storylines are a little sweeter and less threatening (think Pooh, Bambi, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland). My kiddos will sit and be drawn into the story by the softer dialogue and music. They will be completely still and quiet. The newer movies tend to be a bit darker, and the music/dialogue more stimulating= the kids are up and down and talking during the movie. For me, this really is a great example of the attention span issues and the neurological connections being made (or not being made) in kid's brains.

Well, I got my lawn mowed yesterday (except for one little patch). Trentin played outside while I mowed (just in the areas I wasn't mowing). The mower is temperamental and stops when it gets over heated, or when it goes through very long/juicy grasses. So, I would stop and chat or play with Trentin for five minutes and then go start the mower. The last time it happened, the mower didn't want to start back up. After I pulled on that cord a few times and was mumbling some wooden swear words I decided I had better just give up for the day before some real swear words came out in front of the boy! >:)
    We went inside and I put a movie in for him while I took a quick shower. Then we walked over to the campground and checked everything out, including the beach (which is still quite littered with driftwood and other winter debris.), came home and built our fire and made our pie iron pizzas. I bought a large cinnamon roll Saturday morning and I sliced it (into thinner round slices) and I let Trentin make a dessert pizza with it. He added chocolate and marshmallows inside the two slices of cinnamon. It smelled delish. He ate it all and said he wants to make another one next time he comes over. lol

Going to get moving. I was going to go down and watch the Memorial Day Parade; but my left knee is aching from the mowing yesterday and I don't think walking the distance (from available parking to the parade route) will be good for my knee. So I guess I will just get my leg up and iced for a bit; then I will make some black bean burgers for Tim and I for this week. Colin and his girlfriend are in Texas visiting Lauren, Jaime and Joaquin and seeing all of the sights. They just arrived late last night, so I am patiently waiting to here how the reunion at the airport went and how Joaquin is doing with great, big (6'5") Uncle Colin. <3 ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    edited May 2019
    The tv programmes that punctuate my day are real 'daytime tv' stuff. I love them. They are my comfort blanket. I adore 'Homes Under the Hammer', Bargain Hunt, 'The Repair Shop' and Flog It. For a few weeks we had 'Best House in Town' . I was totally addicted. I write my books in the morning with the tv burbling away very low just to keep my writer's block at bay. The afternoon ones DH and I watch together as a wind down. The lunch one we eat to and talk about together. It's all very bonding for us.So I get very cross when holidays mess up the schedules! :o:#
    I'm not madly keen on new drama, though I am watching 'Gentleman Jack' as I like the director, a woman. I usually watch all the repeats of the detective series. Vera, Midsomer Murders, etc. Mostly I watch documentaries, especially medical - 24 hours in A&E, Ambulance, Hospital. History docs. Art and architecture. DH likes intellectual quiz programmes, Mastermind, University Challenge. I rarely watch new drama series as I don't like violence or nasty people. I like inspiring stories. Or a really good comedy. We like Not Going Out, or Would I Lie To You. Have I Got News For You. All funny.
    Our early mornings are spent listening to the radio while we exercise. Radio 4 BBC. First it's the Today news programme, which we both shout at, and then each day there's an informative or entertaining hour or so. The Life Scientific, Desert Island Discs, Start The Week (books), In Our Time (history) . We really enjoy our radio and learn a lot. It's a real education.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) There is a lot I like on television and a lot that seems really stupid and mean-spirited. I have a DVR system so I can record shows I want to see and watch them at a time that is convenient for me and in parts if I only have a short time to watch. I never just sit and watch TV. I usually ride my exercise bike while I watch TV and sometimes fold laundry or organize pill packets. I like to watch series TV so I get to know the characters. I also like the home fixer upper shows, figure skating, and "The Great British Baking Show".

:)Lisa, all the work you are doing on your house is impressive. Your energy to work all day is awesome.

:) My plans for the holiday begin with remembering that I can't do my errands at the post office and library and will have to wait until tomorrow to do them. I'll work in the yard this morning and walk with a friend in the afternoon.

:) I am enjoying reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. He says "Forget about goals, focus on systems instead," Anyone can have a goal, what makes the difference is the system you put in place to reach the goal. It never helped me to have a goal of losing 50 pounds, but when I created a system of logging food, eating differently, measuring portions, drinking more water, keeping track of steps and exercise, and surrounding myself with motivating friends, I was able to move toward that goal.

:) I got up early this morning and don't meet my dog walking friend for 45 minutes so I'm going to use the extra time to catch up on some reading before she comes. The dogs and I walked for 20 minutes before breakfast. If I get out of my chair now, they'll think it's time to walk again.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• Machka9
    edited May 2019
    The tv programmes that punctuate my day are real 'daytime tv' stuff. I love them. They are my comfort blanket. I adore 'Homes Under the Hammer', Bargain Hunt, 'The Repair Shop' and Flog It. For a few weeks we had 'Best House in Town' . I was totally addicted. I write my books in the morning with the tv burbling away very low just to keep my writer's block at bay. The afternoon ones DH and I watch together as a wind down. The lunch one we eat to and talk about together. It's all very bonding for us.So I get very cross when holidays mess up the schedules! :o:#
    I'm not madly keen on new drama, though I am watching 'Gentleman Jack' as I like the director, a woman. I usually watch all the repeats of the detective series. Vera, Midsomer Murders, etc. Mostly I watch documentaries, especially medical - 24 hours in A&E, Ambulance, Hospital. History docs. Art and architecture. DH likes intellectual quiz programmes, Mastermind, University Challenge. I rarely watch new drama series as I don't like violence or nasty people. I like inspiring stories. Or a really good comedy. We like Not Going Out, or Would I Lie To You. Have I Got News For You. All funny.
    Our early mornings are spent listening to the radio while we exercise. Radio 4 BBC. First it's the Today news programme, which we both shout at, and then each day there's an informative or entertaining hour or so. The Life Scientific, Desert Island Discs, Start The Week (books), In Our Time (history) . We really enjoy our radio and learn a lot. It's a real education.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

I couldn't even tell you what's on TV before about 5:30 pm. During the week, the TV doesn't go on till I get home at 6 pm, and on weekends, if we're here we might turn it on as early as 5:30 pm to catch Fraser ... if Fraser is on. Sometimes it's not. We can never be sure one week to the next. But lately there are usually 2 or 3 Frasers in a row on Saturdays starting at 5:30 pm, and we're usually home in time to catch at least one of them. Lately, on a Saturday, I've been watching one of the Frasers while on the rowing machine. :)

I do sort of understand how you feel. There was a time years ago when I could depend on the programming and did feel a bit put out if the programming changed for a day, but in Australia they change it so often there's no point getting attached to anything. Each evening it's "anybody's guess" what will be on!

Oh, Barbie mentioned Great British Bakeoff. I do love that show and got a little bit attached to it when they ran it for about 18 months (that had to be some kind of record!). But it's gone now and probably won't come back. :( It disappeared in 2015, and perhaps in a way that was for the best. I tend to bake more when I'm watching that show ... instead I didn't bake and lost a lot of weight in 2015.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,286 Member
    Happy Memorial Day!

Oddly, this is one of my favorite holidays, created to honor our servicemen killed during war. It makes me think of my father who was in the Aleutian Islands during WWII and fought the Japanese on Attu Island. As a child, we often looked at souvenirs he'd gotten while stationed in Italy and then Alaska. The photos of Italy and other countries and Kodiak were kind of touristy - scenery and such.

The photos of the Aleutians included one of my dad holding a kit fox... then other photos of dead enemy soldiers. He never spoke about it, and it wasn't until after he died that we saw information about the Battle of Attu and realized the horrors he saw there.

I have come to realize that all soldiers in all countries who died in war were probably someone's beloved kids, many had families and happy lives before being drafted or enlisting to fight for their countries. :(

When I was a child, Memorial Day was known as "Decoration Day" - flags were placed at the graves of veterans in our small town cemetery. The family would put flowers at all the graves of relatives and friends. There would be a parade and the annual cannon firing.

Then we'd head off to the park for a big family reunion. All of my great aunts were "characters" as were their kids and I always looked forward to seeing them and hear them joke around. Good memories. Thank you for letting me share some nostalgia.

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,286 Member
    Barbara AHMOD - your 1099R should show "0" taxable distributions - the key for rollovers is down in box 7 it should say "G" which means direct rollover. If there is something other than that in the box, that might be how it got flagged by the IRS.

Good luck!!

Lanette
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

I just wish they would have let me know. I would have worked longer last night and got up at my normal time to straight into work. It made for a long day ... 10 hours from the time I left home till the time I came home.

Didn't help that it was quite chilly all day and although I dressed a bit warmer, I wasn't entirely prepared.

I'm in pyjamas with a blanket on me ... and about to dive into my project.

Machka in Oz

I know what you mean. It doesn’t take much these days to inform others of these changes. People can be very thoughtless. I hope you don’t get another cold from getting chilled. 💖
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    edited May 2019
    Re Memorial Day. UK Remembrance Day is in November. We have a National 1 minute of silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of 11th month to remember all people killed in conflicts. I have a great uncle who was posthumously awarded the Victoria Criss in WW1. He was only 24. I plant a cross with a poppy on it in my vegetable garden each year in his honour.

@cityjaneLondon You mentioned almost all of my favourite TV shows, Heather. I’ll watch almost anything on property development.

We have a Smart TV and I often watch programmes on iPlayer or Catch-up, especially if they aren’t broadcast here because some useless local programmer or sport is on.

I used to be an avid watcher of cooking shows, but then got bored with them.

Just about to go and see if the Repair Shop is on today. One of the drawbacks of Bank Holiday Mondays is that they change the schedule.

☘️Terri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning ladies
    I tried feeding DFIL but he wasn't having much of it today.. he ate some peaches and that was about it.. Tom came down but between the 2 of us.. it was a wash.. he has been eating pretty well. So not going to fret...
    I slept 9 1/2 hrs last night I was beat.. and was still tired so I took a bit of a nap and feel a bit better now... will go to my friends in about an hour.. think I'm going to leave Alfie home ..just so I can enjoy mysrlf.. when we are outside I have to keep him on a leash
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    <3 I am caught up on reading but didn't take a lot of notes. I am busy crafting for the bachelorette, so was reading while things were cutting on my Cricut.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Enjoy the carnival! :smiley:

Lisa in AR: I love the work you and Corey are doing on your new home. It seems like it is coming to life and reflects you two. :star: Regarding TV, I love animal shows and set my TV up to record them so that I can watch when I want to watch. I also watch weather news, local news and some PBS shows. :flowerforyou:

KJ: Happy Memorial Day to you. My dad was a Sea-Bee in WWII & my son is active duty army. This is the first year I haven’t taken flowers to my parents in the cemetery, about 170 mile round trip from where we live. DH’s health is one factor and houseguests are another. I hope to get there eventually but I’m not confident that it will be soon. :embarassed:

Karen in VA: The letter to your personnel file is an excellent idea. Happy Birthday to your grandson. :star:

Barbie: I also enjoy the Great British Bake Off. :smile:

M in Oz: We have a recorder feature on our TV so that we can record shows we like and view them at our pleasure. I record several programs regularly. Once in a while I delete one. :ohwell:

Lanette: I believe that we honor all our veterans on Memorial Day, whether or not they died in battle. I am unsure about the Civil War veterans from the Confederacy. I tried to look it up but wasn’t successful. Maybe someone else will know. :embarassed:

We have houseguests for the next few days. DSIL & DBIL are here. Right now the men are resting. Sal & I plan to go to the local thriift mall. There is old stuff and new stuff, and I buy my dish scrubbies from a lady there who crochets them out of scratchy synthetic yarn. They work very well and I rarely use SOS anymore other than on hard stuck things in metal pans.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon