Maintainers Weekly Check In - May 2019

Replies

• hippiesaur
    hippiesaur Posts: 137 Member
    Height: 167.5 cm (5'6")
    Total weight lost: 18.6 kg (41 lbs)
    Time it took to lose: ~2.5 years total
    How long in maintenance: 4 months
    Maintenance weight range: 57-59 kg (125-130 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from 2018: 59.4 kg (131 lbs)

Average weight recorded from January: 58.2 kg (128.3 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from February: 58 kg (128 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from March: 58.3 kg (128.5 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from April: 58 kg (128 lbs)

Week of...
    May 5: 57.8 kg
    May 12: 57.9 kg
    May 19: 57.8 kg
    May 26: 58 kg

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: I missed the check in last week, but I'm still on the right path :) I had some overeating days, but my weight is still stable. I'm more like under 58 kg most of the time now, so it feels like I'm losing a bit really slowly, despite I don't want to. My energy level is kinda low as well, and I had to skip a few workouts last week because of this.
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    is this just for members trying to lose weight? I am trying to gain about 2 kg's and need a thread like this to help me and keep me accountable for logging my calories etc...

Have a Blessed Monday

Hi, Suzanne,

We're a group for maintaining your weight once you've arrived at your goal. You are close enough to your goal weight right now that you can join us here and be welcome!
    We're a good group and tend to be chatty and supportive of each other with the occasional advice thrown in.

If you prefer, there are also MFP groups specifically for gainers...it's your choice.

In your shoes, I'd probably join us here and also find a gainers group as well. Follow both for a while until you get a feel for which is the better match for you.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,666 Member
    Name: Lesley
    Height: 155 cm (5’ 1”)
    Total weight lost: 22.5 kg (approx. 50 lb)
    Time it took to lose: 9 months
    How long in maintenance: a few weeks
    Maintenance weight range: 49 – 51 kg (108 – 112 lbs)
    Average weight recorded from 2018: max 72.5 kg in July, 56 kg in Dec

Average weight recorded from January: 54.7 kg
    Average weight recorded from February: 53.3 kg
    Average weight recorded from March: 51.7 kg
    Average weight recorded from April: 50.2 kg (110.7 lb)
    Week of...
    May 5: 49.1 kg (108 lb)
    May 13: 51.8 kg (114 lb)
    May 20: 49.6 kg (109 lb)
    May 27: 49.2 kg

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: The motorhome break was good – we walked quite a bit, treated ourselves to ice cream. Ate in a nice pub in the local village on Wednesday evening. Returned home much the same weight as before. So, I’m happy that I think I can manage short holidays without gaining too much. However, I do have to be strict when I’m at home so that the calories average out OK over the weeks.
    I’m interested to see people tracking macros – I don’t worry to much about them. I have to watch my calcium intake as I am a little old lady in danger of developing osteoporosis. I also look at the protein measure, as I’m concerned about maintaining and increasing muscle strength and on a fairly restricted calorie diet protein can suffer as it is often associated with relatively high calories.
    Do you find it useful to track carbs%, fat% etc?
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member

Week of...

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: The motorhome break was good – we walked quite a bit, treated ourselves to ice cream. Ate in a nice pub in the local village on Wednesday evening. Returned home much the same weight as before. So, I’m happy that I think I can manage short holidays without gaining too much. However, I do have to be strict when I’m at home so that the calories average out OK over the weeks.
    I’m interested to see people tracking macros – I don’t worry to much about them. I have to watch my calcium intake as I am a little old lady in danger of developing osteoporosis. I also look at the protein measure, as I’m concerned about maintaining and increasing muscle strength and on a fairly restricted calorie diet protein can suffer as it is often associated with relatively high calories.

Welcome home, Lesley! And congrats on maintaining so nicely while traveling.

Yes, I do find it helpful to track my macros. My goal is 70% carbohydrates, 15% fat, 15% protein, and I'm on a net-1100 calorie average (which at my activity level generally means a gross of 1400-1500 calories...that will decrease in the winter when I'm more lethargic.) I'm just an inch taller than you, and while I'm not quite 60 yet I can see it when without my bifocals.

At a 15% protein intake of gross 1400 calories, I'm covering all my amino acids daily, plus a little extra. Just had blood tests done, and my protein levels are well within the normal range. I rarely eat animal products anymore for health reasons, and legumes have plenty of protein without all the fat and cholesterol of meat.

For calcium, I bumped the MFP goal up to 110%, I eat plenty of leafy greens and other calcium-rich plant foods, plus I take a daily calcium supplement, just to make sure.
  • suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    is this just for members trying to lose weight? I am trying to gain about 2 kg's and need a thread like this to help me and keep me accountable for logging my calories etc...

Have a Blessed Monday

Hi, Suzanne,

We're a group for maintaining your weight once you've arrived at your goal. You are close enough to your goal weight right now that you can join us here and be welcome!
    We're a good group and tend to be chatty and supportive of each other with the occasional advice thrown in.

If you prefer, there are also MFP groups specifically for gainers...it's your choice.

In your shoes, I'd probably join us here and also find a gainers group as well. Follow both for a while until you get a feel for which is the better match for you.

Thank you , appreciate the welcome, yes I am just a kg away from my goal weight now ! I will start from next week and join.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all and for some advice.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    Name: Sharon

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Food. Either I've fallen off the wagon or I've had an entire binge week, I'm not sure which.

First of all, that improved relationship with food that I thought I was developing? Not so much, it turns out. It was simply that I was doing all the grocery shopping for the past four months, and not bringing home stuff I couldn't eat. Well, my husband went Costco shopping about a week ago, and brought home a whole bunch of junk, but the kickers were fresh bakery cookies and some potato chips ("crisps" to everyone in the world except the US) that I swear are utter ambrosia. That did me in, guys. I think over the course of a week, I ate 5 or 6 of those cookies (at 200 calories each, that's an entire extra day of calories in one week!) and the entire bag of chips. An entire COSTCO bag. What is that, 16 pounds of chips and a billion calories?

You did well, you should count it a success that you were able to just have one cookie each day - that's just a little treat - not a failure. I have no idea what size a Costco bag of crisps looks like but put it behind you and move on.

You should feel proud of your restraint over the cookies. Fresh baked cookies are really difficult to deal with. I live on my own so I only buy treats when the grandchildren are visiting and that's difficult enough.

Thanks for the uplift, Lesley. While cookies are certainly a weakness of mine, anything salty and fatty is far more so. The reason I was able to limit the cookies was only because I was bingeing on the crisps.

I eventually had the courage to look up that bag of crisps online. It weighed 2 pounds, or 907 grams. The bag in its entirety contained 4800 calories, 288 grams of fat, and 3520 mg sodium. And I ate the whole thing in less than a week.

That's bad enough in itself, but the worst part is that it really triggered an urge to eat more fats and salt. I have been desperately fighting a near-compulsion for salty, fatty foods ever since that first handful.

I haven't won that fight yet, but I've had two good days since then, and the bad days are very slightly less bad.

This really feels more like fighting an addiction than like a food issue. Though I guess you can have food addictions, so maybe that's it. Now that I've made that mental connection, I can try treating it like I treated quitting smoking?

It is fine to eat the crisps and the cookies, you just have to adjust the rest of your food for it. Calories are calories. If you want a 200 calorie cookie to fit, you just have to leave off 200 calories of "other" from your day and it will fit. I am concerned that you consider the cookies and crisps to be "bad" foods. Certainly, they can be trigger foods for you, but they are calories like anything else.

In my humble, non-expert opinion, you might have better long term success and a healthier relationship with food if you found a way to include some "naughty" (for lack of a better term) foods in your regular diet, like factoring in a serving of crisps or a cookie most days, so that it doesn't feel like a "bad" thing, just a normal part of eating balanced. You don't feel deprived, you can stay under your calorie goal and not feel you have to punish yourself for enjoying a treat.

My diary is open. I eat chips, cookies, gummy bears, ice cream.....gee I sound like I eat a ton of junk....

I agree with what @ExistingFish says. I always leave room for at least a 200 calorie treat every day. I do understand the problem with trigger foods though. Perhaps your husband could just bring home small individual bags of chips instead of large family sized bags. That way you could eat the whole bag and it might not be a problem.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Week of...

I track macros, but my goals are in grams rather than a % of my total calories. I shoot for a minimum of 80g protein, 30g fiber and 60g fat no matter what my total calories are for the day (it can vary by as much as 300-500 calories depending on my activity level). I prefer to fill in the rest with carbs, but really don't stress the numbers once I've hit my minimums :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    @fidangul Congratulations on the new baby! I'm so glad the reason you disappeared from the group for a while was a happy one!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Name: Sharon

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Food. Either I've fallen off the wagon or I've had an entire binge week, I'm not sure which.

First of all, that improved relationship with food that I thought I was developing? Not so much, it turns out. It was simply that I was doing all the grocery shopping for the past four months, and not bringing home stuff I couldn't eat. Well, my husband went Costco shopping about a week ago, and brought home a whole bunch of junk, but the kickers were fresh bakery cookies and some potato chips ("crisps" to everyone in the world except the US) that I swear are utter ambrosia. That did me in, guys. I think over the course of a week, I ate 5 or 6 of those cookies (at 200 calories each, that's an entire extra day of calories in one week!) and the entire bag of chips. An entire COSTCO bag. What is that, 16 pounds of chips and a billion calories?

You did well, you should count it a success that you were able to just have one cookie each day - that's just a little treat - not a failure. I have no idea what size a Costco bag of crisps looks like but put it behind you and move on.

You should feel proud of your restraint over the cookies. Fresh baked cookies are really difficult to deal with. I live on my own so I only buy treats when the grandchildren are visiting and that's difficult enough.

Thanks for the uplift, Lesley. While cookies are certainly a weakness of mine, anything salty and fatty is far more so. The reason I was able to limit the cookies was only because I was bingeing on the crisps.

I eventually had the courage to look up that bag of crisps online. It weighed 2 pounds, or 907 grams. The bag in its entirety contained 4800 calories, 288 grams of fat, and 3520 mg sodium. And I ate the whole thing in less than a week.

That's bad enough in itself, but the worst part is that it really triggered an urge to eat more fats and salt. I have been desperately fighting a near-compulsion for salty, fatty foods ever since that first handful.

I haven't won that fight yet, but I've had two good days since then, and the bad days are very slightly less bad.

This really feels more like fighting an addiction than like a food issue. Though I guess you can have food addictions, so maybe that's it. Now that I've made that mental connection, I can try treating it like I treated quitting smoking?

It is fine to eat the crisps and the cookies, you just have to adjust the rest of your food for it. Calories are calories. If you want a 200 calorie cookie to fit, you just have to leave off 200 calories of "other" from your day and it will fit. I am concerned that you consider the cookies and crisps to be "bad" foods. Certainly, they can be trigger foods for you, but they are calories like anything else.

In my humble, non-expert opinion, you might have better long term success and a healthier relationship with food if you found a way to include some "naughty" (for lack of a better term) foods in your regular diet, like factoring in a serving of crisps or a cookie most days, so that it doesn't feel like a "bad" thing, just a normal part of eating balanced. You don't feel deprived, you can stay under your calorie goal and not feel you have to punish yourself for enjoying a treat.

My diary is open. I eat chips, cookies, gummy bears, ice cream.....gee I sound like I eat a ton of junk....

I agree with what @ExistingFish says. I always leave room for at least a 200 calorie treat every day. I do understand the problem with trigger foods though. Perhaps your husband could just bring home small individual bags of chips instead of large family sized bags. That way you could eat the whole bag and it might not be a problem.

We switched to single serve chips (from Sam's usually) and it has worked wonders. I have no trouble measuring out a serving by weight, but DH will sit down and eat a half bag if he isn't careful. Yes it is more expensive, but getting a "good deal" to get more of a food you don't need an excess of may be good for your wallet but not your overall wellbeing.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    After my bigger than usual jump in my weight last week I've been weighing daily, just to make sure nothing weird is going on.. must have been a high sodium meal I had, cuz I'm right back down. Relieved! I started a new medication and was freaking out for a second I was dealing with a side affect of weight gain from that.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    Name: Allie
    Height: 5'3"
    Total weight lost: 16 lbs.
    Time it took to lose: 6 months
    How long in maintenance: Since May 13.
    Maintenance weight range: 117-123 lbs.

Average weight recorded from January: 132.6
    Average weight recorded from February:126.3
    Average weight recorded from March: 124.2
    Average weight recorded from April: 121.6

Week of...
    May 12: 120! Goal!
    May 19: 119.5
    May 26: 119.5

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Even with the Memorial Day cookout, I managed to stay under calorie goal! Haven't been doing great with cutting out sugar, but have been eating less of it I guess? (Pesca w/ Cardiometabolic diet on doc recommendation.) And doc says it's okay, that any diet has to be sustainable, so that tracks with everything I was already doing here, so just trying to keep making good choices when I can, not beating myself up over a serving of ice cream.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Name: Jenn
    Height: 5’2”
    Total weight lost: 32lb
    Time it took to lose: approximately 18 months
    How long in maintenance: Officially about 2 months, but for the last year or so I bounced around the same range, just a little higher than I would prefer. I got down to this range and am happy here.
    Maintenance weight range: 123lb-126lb I’ve dropped my maintenance range by 1lb. I’m still well within my healthy weight range.. I’m still losing sloooooowly which is perfectly fine by me.

Average weight recorded from 2018: ----

Average weight recorded from March: 124.6
    Average weight recorded from April: 124.3
    Average weight recorded from May: 123.4

Week of…
    April 28: 124.0
    May 5: 122.8
    May 12: 123.4
    May 19: 125.0
    May 26: 122.0

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Quite a big swing from last week! I think a couple sodium bomb meals last week caused me to retain some water, therefore the higher weigh-in. But I’m back down this week, and down pretty low. I’m having a very hard time with the mental game of maintenance… physically I know I can eat the extra calories to keep at maintenance, that’s not a problem (love my snacks!) but mentally after eating at 1200 calories for 2 years it’s hard to bump up to 1500-1600. With my husband being out of town for work I’m definitely eating less than when he’s home – typically we have some splurge nights out or enjoy some adult beverages that help keep my calories up, but with him gone I’ve pretty much just been staying home and being a boring homebody.