Pregnant and overweight. Trying to maintain/lose

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else on here that is trying to maintain and/or lose weight during pregnancy? I unexpectedly became pregnant and I'm currently obese and the thought of going through pregnancy at this size (and age) is terrifying. It was hard enough 70lbs lighter. I spoke with my OB as soon as he confirmed my pregnancy and he set a goal to not gain ANY weight during this pregnancy. If I happen to lose a little weight naturally, that's fine, too.

I'm now 10 weeks and have lost maybe 3-4lbs at 5'2" 211lbs. Morning sickness wasn't a huge issue. I just ate a lot of fruit, salads, dairy and whole grains when I couldn't stomach meat.

My goal is to eat ~1,500-2,000 calories a day with all nutritious foods and exercise 5-7 days a week for about 30 minutes plus walking the dogs. Anyone else trying to have a healthy and active pregnancy while fighting off unnecessary weight gain?

Replies

• CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    I just had my baby 2 weeks ago and I tried to maintain my weight and only gain a little. I did all my weight gain in the first 2 trimesters and maintained during the 3rd. I started at 160 and gained 25lbs. My aim was to eat 1600-1800 calories a day and was pretty consistent. However with all that said, she was born 2 days late and was my smallest baby at 6lbs 9oz. So now I'm worried it's my fault that she was so small from restricting my calories. She has no problems and is acting like a normal newborn, just a small baby.
    Good luck, send me a friend request too.
  • tigerleelee
    tigerleelee Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks ladies - same issue. First time pregnant and I’m obese. Focusing on keeping baby healthy AND I’m a gym rat. I’ve gained and lost my whole life and have weight issues. This’ll be hard and looking for support
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    I just had my baby 2 weeks ago and I tried to maintain my weight and only gain a little. I did all my weight gain in the first 2 trimesters and maintained during the 3rd. I started at 160 and gained 25lbs. My aim was to eat 1600-1800 calories a day and was pretty consistent. However with all that said, she was born 2 days late and was my smallest baby at 6lbs 9oz. So now I'm worried it's my fault that she was so small from restricting my calories. She has no problems and is acting like a normal newborn, just a small baby.

Please don’t feel that way! I was 150lbs when I got pregnant (just at the border of normal and overweight) and gained 40lbs and STILL had a smaller baby than yours ... 5.5lbs!!! My baby is over a year now and at the top of the weight class :) There is no rhyme or reason to how big of a baby you will have ... they will take whatever nutrients they need... those nutrients in the foods you eat go to baby first and mom second! 6lb 9oz is TOTALLY normal weight.

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member

Totally not your fault! I had 4 babies ranging from 6.4 lbs to 10.1 lbs and I gained the same amount with all,babies are just unique in their sizes <3
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    I do not understand trying to lose weight while pregnant. Aren't you supposed to gain weight, like 15 - 20 lbs. at least? But trust your doctor and/or seek a second medical opinion to be sure. Hugs
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    Just to follow up... I would follow guidelines of maintaining your weight instead of restricting yourself, as your doctor said to do. It sounds like your doctor meant that the more you replace your eating habits with complex carbs, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and lean meats, you may lose some weight naturally as a side effect which he deemed OK with the weight you are now. I wouldn’t purposefully try to restrict your eating during this time... it’s not good for you or for baby to not eat when you are hungry during pregnancy. And I’m not sure what he/she advised you to do about exercise but I know mine told me not to introduce any new or additional forms of exercise unless it was extremely low impact (walking, yoga). I just want to emphasize how important it is to tell your doctor exactly what your caloric and exercise plan is, I wasn’t sure based on this if he/she knows this is your plan. I just want you and baby to be safe. ❤️
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    I do not understand trying to lose weight while pregnant. Aren't you supposed to gain weight, like 15 - 20 lbs. at least? But trust your doctor and/or seek a second medical opinion to be sure. Hugs

There's some significant recent research that watching calories is helpful for overweight and obese women in pregnancy. According to my OB, obese moms only need to gain 10-15 pounds, and overweight moms only need to gain 15-25. All of the providers at my practice have been excited to hear that I'm watching my calories. I'm not restricting the way I would if I wasn't pregnant. 1800 calories a day is what I'm aiming for right now, and I am doing well. I'm not reading that anyone is trying to lose weight, they're just trying not to gain too much.

My BFF from childhood was maybe 75-100 lbs overweight in her first pregnancy and had gestational diabetes. She did a great job watching her diet and making good choices and only gained 4 lbs by delivery by following the standard dietary guidelines for gestational diabetes. She had a healthy pregnancy and baby and I find that so inspiring!
  • janiep81
    I'm here, too! I'm 12 weeks pregnant with my third child (fourth pregnancy). I've yo-yo'd in a 30 lb window throughout my adult life. I got pregnant about 20 lbs heavier than I'd have liked to have been, but I also ran the 8 mile leg of a marathon relay on the day of implantation, so I've been in pretty good shape. I do enjoy exercise, which has helped me keep the weight fluctuations from getting too out of control, I think. Still, my BMI is technically on the line between overweight and obese and I'd love to keep the weight gain to a minimum. I'm tracking my calories and trying to keep it around 1700-1800. I'm doing my best to work out regularly. This has become a bit easier in the last couple of weeks since my fatigue and nausea have improved.

I had a late diagnosis of gestational diabetes in my last pregnancy and have found it helpful to follow that diet, even though I haven't been diagnosed with it again. I feel really good so far. Good luck and blessings to everyone.
  • janiep81
    I don't think of eating and counting 1800 calories a day as restricting, do you all? If I don't track I'll overdo it, as I have time and again. Maybe we need a different term for setting a reasonable calorie goal.

I've found this thread really helpful. Thanks everyone!
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I don't think of eating and counting 1800 calories a day as restricting, do you all? If I don't track I'll overdo it, as I have time and again. Maybe we need a different term for setting a reasonable calorie goal.

I've found this thread really helpful. Thanks everyone!

It depends on what your maintenance calories are/what trimester you’re in — always go with your doctor’s advice, not MFP, although it can be great for support. That’s really awesome about your friend, but also anecdotal in the OP’s case, and it’s still important for the OP to run her plan by her doctor. It wasn’t clear to me whether the OP’s doctor was telling her to specifically lose weight. I took it as he told her to eat healthy and try to maintain her weight and if a side effect of better eating habits was losing weight, that’s OK. I was trying to emphasize to the OP that she should let her doctor know her intent as far as reducing her daily calories & starting a new exercise plan. MFP is great for support but I wouldn’t take advice from here when it comes to pregnancy from anyone but your personal doctor. Wishing all you beautiful mamas healthy and happy pregnancies ❤️
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member

My baby was born 5.9 pounds totally healthy and I ate so much I gained 75 pounds during pregnancy. I loved it. Everyone I knew had big babies and told me mine actually felt like a baby. Lol
  • Bpaul89
    Bpaul89 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 27 weeks, just started using MFP again because the first 20 weeks due to HG I didn’t gain a single pound, now in the last 7 weeks it says I have gaines 23 lbs so my OB says I need it watch my weight. I was borderline overweight and average before pregnancy, so I really don’t need to gain anymore weight and am going to start watching what I am eating better and try to eat more filling food. After I was finally able to eat again I guess I over did it so time to reel it in.
  • rbnieuwoudt7394
    rbnieuwoudt7394 Posts: 2 Member
    I’m currently 33 weeks and have gained so much! Started at 166 and am now at 217. The weight has started to slow down now that I’m in my 3rd trimester. With my first I hardly gained 20lb throughout the whole pregnancy. It’s been quite the journey to say the least. I think just do your best to stay as healthy as you can. Losing weight WHILE pregnant isn’t really realistic. Just enjoy this pregnancy and stay healthy, you can lose it and more afterwards. I know it’s hard on your self confidence, all the weight gain and changes but remember you’re body is doing something amazing and should be praised for it. The weight will come off again.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I always took pregnancy as a sign I could 'eat for 2' and wow, did I ever. :( I always gained at least 50 lbs. with each of my children. But with my 2nd one, my dr. said I needed to be very careful as I was over the initial 3 month nausea phase and was really packing it on. So I started writing down every single thing I ate, didn't focus on calories but on content, and ate as healthy as I could. My midwife was impressed with what I was eating, I only gained 15 lbs. and had the most amazing pregnantly-defined belly I ever had. :) Plus I fit right back into pre-pregnancy clothes within a couple weeks.
    I think your dr. knows best but IMO, as long as you don't treat it like a diet, it's not going to do any harm. Above all, eat healthy; IIRC, we're only meant to consume an extra 500 calories a day for pregnancy. Babies are born lots of different weights and has more to do with genes than anything else. IMO
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    OP probably already had her baby already. 🤷🏼‍♀️😂
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    OP probably already had her baby already. 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

Haha yep, probably. Never even checked the date. :blush: