WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Feeling so cold today ... I've been out and about walking 6.6 km in wind, drizzle and decidedly chilly temps. And I haven't dug out my winter coat yet.

CURRENTLY AT HOBART
    Temperature: 6.7°C
    Dew Point: 2.2°C
    Feels Like: -0.3°C
    Relative Humidity: 73%
    Wind: NNW 27km/h
    Wind Gusts: 39km/h
    Rain since 9am/last hr: 3.4mm / -

The wind was blowing off Mt Wellington which is currently covered in a layer of snow. This is from my 1.8 km walk from the university to where I catch the bus.

47949677493_efe92036eb_b.jpg

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited May 2019
    Tracey - Love it! :laugh:

Dancing tonight. Other than that I hope to have a quiet day with some writing.

Trying to work out how I'm going to get to the funeral, which is scheduled for 10.30. That is not a good time for me. I have emailed an old London friend to see if she can put me up the night before, but haven't heard anything yet. She may well be on the other side of the world visiting her son who works for an NGO. Otherwise I will just have to pay the exorbitant price the trains charge for travelling at peak time.
    Some of Ros's friends are having a 'Jamaican' ceremony on Thursday, but I'm not going to that. If I still lived in London I would.
    The funeral invitation was from her sons, but there is nothing in there of the things I discussed with her, like the colours she wanted us to wear, or the fact that she did want flowers, not just donations to the charity. Of course a funeral is for the living who grieve and I am really only going to support her boys. I do not want a funeral for myself, just a celebration of my life with lots of good food. Ros has paid for hers in advance as her boys have no money. I don't suppose they are in any fit state to be creative.
    I must say I hate those crematoriums. Soulless places. Plus hard to get to if you don't have transport. Oh well.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Machka, your post reminded my of the American TV comedy, “Get Smart”, which was a spoof of the American CIA. You may have seen it when you were in Canada. They had this thing called “The Cone of Silence”, which was a large plastic-seeming cone that cloaked to talk from outsiders. I can picture you in your “Cocoon of Silence”, lol! Lovely pictures, by the way.
    Sharon Near Seattle

I was actually thinking of that when I wrote "cocoon of silence" but I didn't think "cone" quite described what I was going for. :grin:

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Heather. So glad for you the plans to get to Ros's funeral are working out. Oddly, I always enjoy funerals. I think it's because most of the funerals I go to end up being family reunions.

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Did 1 segment of AM yoga DVD then did the Shape Ultimate Bikini Body DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD.

Karen in VA – I’m so sorry you’re going thru this work cr**. That must make going to work so very hard

Most everything I watch on TV is recorded. I just find that I really get impatient with all the commercials. You have no idea how many times when I was at Denise’s that I wished for a fast-forward button!

Happy Memorial Day to those who celebrate it. I’ll probably spend it in the pool.

Went to WalMart. Denise got me this float for mother’s day. Honestly, I really don’t know that I wanted it. It’s all vinyl. I wouldn’t want to lay on vinyl during the day….I’ll melt from the heat. It did work OK in the evening when the sun went down and it was cooler. But it was also a bit of a pain. So I took it back. Should she come here in the summer (which I doubt), I’ll just tell her that it had a slow leak

Speaking of cooking shows: Vince (Mr. pickey) was saying last night that he learned something from the Pioneer Woman. He learned that you put the plate in front of the plastic wrap then pull the plastic wrap and you know your dish is covered.

Went in the pool then Vince and I trimmed trees. Boy, did we trim. And I dragged all the branches to the back of the property. What I’m thinking is that when it’s cooler and I have my work pants on, I’ll try to pull some of those branches further into the woods so that the next time we trim trees, at least I’ll have room to put the branches. I did get a cut on my leg and had to put a band-aid on it. Blood got on my socks, but at least they were my work socks. Actually, I’m thinking that I’ll look at the Salvation Army for another pair

Mahjongg tonight. The gal whose house we go to made these chicken wire ornaments you hang. Well I asked her if she had any chicken wire left over, which she does. I spoke to the guy who does the props for the Green Room explaining how I’d like to have “dirt/dust” around PigPen. He suggested chicken wire, put tulle on top of it and sew it to the chicken wire creating the idea of “dirt”. Guess I’ll give that a try

Karen in VA – happy birthday to your gs. I find it very interesting how the previous generation felt it their duty to serve their country, our generation was trying to dodge the draft and now there’s no more draft. My father really never talked about the war.

Tracey – adorable shirt

Tuesday here: Did the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class.

Beth – I hate it when I break a glass in the kitchen. I find pieces of glass for days afterwards regardless of how well I clean it up

Michele in NC where it’s VERY sunny
  • Machka9
    edited May 2019
    I was so cold when I got home I could not warm up for the longest time. Finally, I wrapped myself in a bathrobe and blanket and filled a hot water bottle. I feel OK now ... but I was seriously chilled there. That usually only happens when I cycle on a cool day and under dress a bit. But I walked and jogged to the university and got all sweaty, then my class was over before I had time to dry so I headed out again into the cold. Recipe for disaster!

Meanwhile, I'm editing a 53 page, 11,373 word document. The Main Assignment.

It's a group effort and I'm happy everyone contributed and contributed on time ... that's nice. It's rare, so I'm certainly appreciative! But English is not the first language of most of the 500 students in my class and of course not the first language of the 4 other people in my group. I feel for them trying to learn IT subjects in a foreign language, but I find all the editing a bit frustrating.

EDIT: And just as I posted this, one of my team members has come into the document and started editing her sections! :)

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lanette: We didn’t get our flag out and hang it. Life was full of houseguests and I forgot. We didn’t get out to the cemetery and leave flowers for my parents, either. :embarassed: We usually take flowers for Memorial Day and thank our active duty Military on Veteran’s Day. I don’t think there is a right or wrong to in this situation. We simply follow our instincts. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I’m glad you heard from someone in the police department who wants things to change and may be in a position to get that change started. Your speaking out helps them realize a need for change. I hope they continue to follow through with better officer training and improved internal policies. :star:

Barbara: I imagine our dads had experiences similar to one another in the Soloman Islands. My dad was aboard a ship that was attacked by Kamakazi fighters and had occasional nightmares about ship board fire throughout the balance of his life. :ohwell:

Sharon: My MIL had osteoarthritis similar to what you have described. Her hands & feet were swollen and seemed painful most of the time I knew her. Later her knees and hips seemed the same way. :sad:

Machka: It looks like fall has arrived in full force. Stay warm and dry. :heart:

Heather: I hope you are able to get to Ros’s funeral. It is a good way to celebrate her strength and courage and give you a chance for your final good bye. You can meet with your friends at a convenient time and share memories. :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Lisa in AR: I’m glad you will be high enough to avoid flooding at your house. Stay safe. :flowerforyou:

Beth: I hope you get all the glass shards up and don’t find any in your bare feet. :noway:

The dog and I were the first ones up this morning, and now I’m hearing noises from upstairs. I suspect I’ll be having company down here soon. Coffee is ready and waiting. We’re looking at clouds right now and will supposedly be having sun peeks as the days goes alone. I hope we find some way to put fun into our day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    @waukenabogirl

Red Welcome! Be sure to click the star just above the magnifying glass at the top right corner of this page to bookmark it. In 3 days, Barbie will post the link to the June thread & you can again bookmark the new month to stay with us.

Karen in Virginia
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,722 Member
    :) Have read and caught up, but don't really have time to post and comment. I am just waiting for Kaitlyn to arrive, we are on a mission for some wedding things today, we have 8 stops to make not including her getting her nails done. It will be a long day, but I'm looking forward to it as I rarely get alone time with her.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Sharon, that's an interesting expression or quote to.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,100 Member
    @waukenabogirl

Red- there are a couple of us are here from Minnesota!! Welcome to a great group of ladies! You will get a lot of help and support here!

Mary from Minnesota/Arizona
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Machka9 - I used to feel this way about the cold when I lived in Columbus, OH. It seemed to stay gray and dreary from November through March. It was cold, windy and most of the time, snow-covered. Once you got cold and damp, you just couldn't warm up. Back in KY, hot and humid - I'd almost take the cold because my hot flashes are so bad. I know that's TMI. We have already been 90F (32C) and it's not even June yet!!

Connie in KY

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    ✔️1. weighed in 59.5 upward trend this week :/
    partly 2. tracked
    ✔️3.30 min exercise yest
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation yest
    ✔️ 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project yest
    X 6.produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term yest
    ✔️ 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count) yest
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min cleaning yest
    X9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork yest
    X 10.average 1100 calories net yesterday

• Overall Feeling : medium
    • Tracking: partly
    • Exercise : little walk
    • 1100 calories net average : not sure
    • Long term writing 2h yesterday : no
    • produce at least 7-finished pages per day average long term writing project yest (from May 25 to June 10, minus Sundays) yesterday : none
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday :yes, set up new phone. but it took a long time and I'm still having problems
    • Bright Spots : back to writing, some of above

Grateful :
    1. see above
    2. a pleasant break from writing
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    Caught up on reading. Too many pages to comment. Maybe later.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    ☘️