Tracking Water Intake?

Spencerport
Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
Does anyone heavily track their water/fluid intake? If so do you just use MFP or another app? I almost never track water, but do track Milk/Soda due to calories. However there is a group of us at work that are going to start a 1 Gallon Water Challenge.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I don't any more (except beverages with calories) but when I did, I tracked it by having a 32 oz lidded cup with a straw and made sure I drank 2 of them per day above any other beverages.

How does the gallon challenge work? Does it have to be water or do other beverages count? If it has to be water, get yourself a gallon jug of drinking water from the grocery and refill it daily from your tap or wherever and keep it in the refrigerator, then make sure it is empty by the end of the day. You can fill something more portable from it if you want to take water to work or when doing activities away from the home.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I did a gallon challenge last year and I found the easiest way to do it was to buy a water bottle that was half a gallon and drink 2 of them. I really wanted to avoid carrying around a milk jug for 3 months, so I found a nice sized, nice looking 1/2 gallon bottle on amazon. I tracked it on MFP, and it was fine because I only had to log twice a day. Anything in smaller oz than that I always lose track.
  • Spencerport
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I don't any more (except beverages with calories) but when I did, I tracked it by having a 32 oz lidded cup with a straw and made sure I drank 2 of them per day above any other beverages.

How does the gallon challenge work? Does it have to be water or do other beverages count? If it has to be water, get yourself a gallon jug of drinking water from the grocery and refill it daily from your tap or wherever and keep it in the refrigerator, then make sure it is empty by the end of the day. You can fill something more portable from it if you want to take water to work or when doing activities away from the home.

Currently the plan is 1 gallon of water. We wont be counting any tea/coffee/sports drinks/beer/etc. Just pure water. I've got a 30oz RTIC cup at both home and work. I go through the 30oz at work twice on most days, and once at home, just based on memory.
  • Spencerport
    I don't understand these types of challenges. What's the purpose?

There are a few people at work that don't think they are drinking enough water and just wanted to put together a 1 Gallon Challenge. They know I'm a bit of fitness nut, lost 105lbs in 18 months (April '14-Oct '16), and asked if I'd be willing to join.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I don't track water here, but MFP has a pretty good tool if you do want to track it. 8 oz = 1 cup.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    If it doesn't have calories, I don't worry about tracking.

I also don't worry about drinking a set amount of liquid every day. I just drink at meals, or when I know I'll be doing physical activities, or when I just get a-hankerin'.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby wrote: »

Currently the plan is 1 gallon of water. We wont be counting any tea/coffee/sports drinks/beer/etc. Just pure water. I've got a 30oz RTIC cup at both home and work. I go through the 30oz at work twice on most days, and once at home, just based on memory.

4 of those plus a cup and you have your gallon.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Other app.. I put mine in Fitbit app.. nothing to do with "calories". Just a tool to track how much water I drink a day.. been heavy soda drinker mostly till I started with the cal counting.
  • SethBudkofsky
    SethBudkofsky Posts: 3 Member
    WaterMinder is a great app for Apple watch and iPhone!
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    I use MFP to track water... but not in the food section.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

There are a few people at work that don't think they are drinking enough water and just wanted to put together a 1 Gallon Challenge. They know I'm a bit of fitness nut, lost 105lbs in 18 months (April '14-Oct '16), and asked if I'd be willing to join.

Do you all work in the sun or have physical jobs that makes you sweat, or are very active outside work?

For most people with desk jobs, "enough water" is less than a gallon.
  • Spencerport
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Do you all work in the sun or have physical jobs that makes you sweat, or are very active outside work?

For most people with desk jobs, "enough water" is less than a gallon.

We are Printer Technicians for Xerox, so our job requires quite a bit of physical effort, especially when we are moving/installing 400+ lb printer modules within the building.
  • tomica13
    tomica13 Posts: 12 Member
    I've started faithfully tracking my water. I'm around 80-130oz per day. (This is on the advice of a fitness coach.) While I'm peeing every 1/2 hour - or at least it seems that way - my skin is amazingly soft. Now I know that's not the ultimate goal of consuming & tracking water, but at 51, it feels like a toddlers! It's 2:15pm and I'm at 120oz for the day so far. My goal is my body weight in ounces to aid with fat loss. Might hit it today. Gotta goooooo.....!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    I use to track on MFP and just had a 20oz bottle and would track that. Now, I have coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. I keep an eye on my pee to make sure that I am hydrated and don't track beyond that.
  • momnafit
    momnafit Posts: 5 Member
    how much is too much water?
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member
  • earlnabby
    momnafit wrote: »
    how much is too much water?

If you are peeing every half hour and your urine is clear.