Introduce Yourself!

Replies

• cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Hi there my name is Cindy I'm from Bristol Wisconsin. I'm 72 years Young and I've been with MyFitnessPal for 6 years ... I lost 50 lb about 6 years ago and I've been meant maintaining for the most part ..
    I have challenge groups here on MyFitnessPal which I am the coordinator and I have Christmas challenge group and a Summer Challenge group every 6 months Each of the members weigh in on a weekly basis and we have a lot of fun with it and lose weight also.. the average number of pounds weight loss in 6 months is approx 150 lb as a group and we enjoy it . I just started intermittent fasting this week ..I'm not having a real good luck with it only because I just started and I'm looking more towards my eat time as noon to 6 p.m. and the other hours is fasting.. the questions I have is it okay to drink diet pop while fasting ?? I've heard it both ways where you can drink it or you can't drink it so just a question.... I look forward to everyone's messages and good luck to everyone..
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    I have been doing IF for more than 18mos+. I have tried 2 and 1 daily meal. I have tried 8,6,and 4 hour eating windows. I have done a couple of 24h fasts and a longer 40h fast. I find that my happy place is IF 16:8.

I was doing IF while doing Keto--the fat really does keep one satiated for hours and hours, but my kidneys began showing signs of stress after 15mos dealing with high fat macros.

A more less vegetarian diet (plants 75%) is now my IF mode.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    I have been doing IF for more than 18mos+. I have tried 2 and 1 daily meal. I have tried 8,6,and 4 hour eating windows. I have done a couple of 24h fasts and a longer 40h fast. I find that my happy place is IF 16:8.

I was doing IF while doing Keto--the fat really does keep one satiated for hours and hours, but my kidneys began showing signs of stress after 15mos dealing with high fat macros.

A more less vegetarian diet (plants 75%) is now my IF mode.

Hi just curious do you drink diet soda during your fast or no ?? I've heard it both ways I've heard it where people do drink it and some do not ...I was just curious what the rule is...
  • lpina2mi
    I gave up soda in the 1980's. Are you fasting between last meal on a previous day and first meal on the next day or doing an extended fast? Somewhat different strategies, but what I think links both is an overall sound diet. Some eat more fat (which does satiate between meals). Some are keto (and this is not me). Some eat plants only.

I am of the mind that basics have to be in place first before any strategy is going to have lasting success. NUTRITION-SLEEP-HYDRATION-EXERCISE. Each of these is unique for each person. Not everyone wants to get "ripped." Not everyone finds gardening physically satisfying. Not everyone wants to be paleo or a vegan. Somewhere between the extremes most of us can carve out our healthy terrain. Where is yours?
  • Oppaloopa
    Oppaloopa Posts: 49 Member
    Love this after all these years I finally found the right plan. I start at 11.30 and stop by 7 Pm. Also doing low carb which I am finally being able to stick too. At 69 I am finally seeing hope. At 341 I need it. :)
  • mmu2600
    mmu2600 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone. Just started today. I have my bottle of water next to me. Wish me luck!!! Hope to make some new friends along the way.
  • glittersupernova
    glittersupernova Posts: 91 Member
    I just started 16:8 IF three days ago.

I have always struggled with food cravings, especially sugar. I was able to get away with this for many years being an athlete. When my athlete days were over, it certainly caught up with me.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s/hypo thyroidism last summer and I’m feeling the negative effects/weight gain from that as well.

I’m really looking forward to developing a better, healthier relationship with food and getting to a level of fitness that I feel confident and happy with :-)

Wishing you all the best of luck on your journey! Let’s keep motivating each other! :-)
  • ellylh1827
    ellylh1827 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi I'm Eleanor I'm 45 and just starting out properly with IF. I've tried it before and been ok. I'm doing 20:4 first day was yezterday6and felt great. No hunger or anything. Today I'm at hour 16 and have the headache from hell and feeling a bit hungry. I'm restricting my food intake to between the 4 hour window but during the 20 hours I am having tea / coffee / diet juice. I am having milk and sugar. If I dont I know I won't stick to it . I just find it easier to restrict my eating to one period. I'll be having a meal at start of window and a wee snack at end. I've lost 42lbs on slimming world but plateaued for 2 months so trying this. I have about 60lbs to lose.
  • Oppaloopa
    Hello :) Karen here. Doing 16:8 with low carb
  • GuessimGryffindor
    GuessimGryffindor Posts: 642 Member
    Greetings all! I’ve played with IF for a few years now ( haven’t been consistent ) I’ve tried the 8:16 method but struggle with giving up early breakfast and also evening supper open to thoughts and suggestions. Thanks and glad to be here!
  • Oppaloopa
    I do 16:8 I only miss breakfast which I never liked anyway.
  • Oppaloopa
    I was wondering does anyone do IF without low carb? :)
  • goatette
    goatette Posts: 8 Member
    Just started IF yesterday on a whim after a binge dinner at food trucks the night before 😋
    One 16 hour fast notch on the belt
    36YO, 154lb plateau that I've been on for 10 months, but to be fair, it's been a VERY stressful 10 months with work & family issues.
    I had thoughts of doughnuts & other carbs, but then immediately thought they will not help my body, so I'm definitely making progress with self control & the way I used to think.
  • lpina2mi
    Oppaloopa wrote: »
    I was wondering does anyone do IF without low carb? :)

I do moderate low carb--abt 90g of net carbs (ttl carbs less fiber). I am mindful to have most of my carbs from vegetables and fruit and nuts. I restrict grains to only a few times a week. I do not have a sweet tooth, so avoiding those carbs is easy.
  • InOneness
    InOneness Posts: 21 Member
    Hi everyone... 58 year old female here. I've been researching the IF lifestyle for the last couple of weeks and am liking what I am finding. The science of it sure makes sense to me. So I'm starting today with an 16/8 approach but will try to push it to 18/6, with a goal of 1500 cal/day. I've been eating clean, whole, real foods for the last couple of years... admittedly some periods of time more strictly than others. Lately though, I have been thinking a little shock to my metabolism might be in order... and from what I've seen and read, I think IF might be the jolt I am looking for. I'm interested in long term sustainability of this lifestyle and the experiences of those who have adopted it. Is rotating between a 16/8 and 18/6 something that is sustainable long term, day in, day out? How has your performance in the gym been enhanced or hindered? Thanks in advance for any wisdom and experiences you would care to share. =)
  • bluefairy2018
    bluefairy2018 Posts: 10 Member

My name gemma 38, I've been doing fasting for 16 months. Due to my dad passing away in January I've put on 1 stone (14 lbs) I think it be more if I didn't do some fasting in the week . So I know it's down to what am eating and not wanting to do anything. But it hit me today being back in the 12 stone mark and thought nope got to do something about it bec I love the clothes am in and they getting tight 😖😯 love some people to add me has friend so they can give me advice and support when needed thank u
  • silverlady81
    silverlady81 Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2019
    Tell us

1. How long you have been fasting
    I Fast 16/8 suits me very well
    , first meal 1300, 2nd meal 19:00 hours finish eating by 20:00
    Drinking 14 glasses of water during the day.

3. What questions do you have?
    I want to loose 1.5 stone,
    BMI 26.5 ;
    I am starting on 1200 calories and recording what I eat on here.
    Stepping up the exercise

Any other advice?

• cityapril
    cityapril Posts: 1 Member
    1. How long you have been fasting?
    Only about 2-3 weeks. Started with 16:8 to see how I'd do with the hours. Quickly realized how much I just stress eat. Pretty easily able to go to the 20:4 hours & was slowly weeding out my unhealthy food at home but realize might need to just do a total pantry makeover.

2. What questions do you have?
    Largely how to do this & be a vegetarian (dairy/eggs ok), which I have been for 31 years.
    And I'm not terribly sure how to determine what my daily levels of fat/protein/fiber/carbs are supposed to be.
    And don't even get me started on how to read nutrition labels unless you have tissues to wipe my tears away... ; >

thanks for any & all support!
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Greetings.
    I have been using intermittent fasting along with eating Keto for nearly two months. Usually, I eat just one meal a day, but sometimes, maybe once a week, I'll throw in an extra 24 hours of fasting to make a nearly 48 hour fast. I'm happy with my results to this point; I'm down over 30 lbs. Plus, I like how I feel when I don't eat.
    I've been taking 2 Tbsp of MCT oil every morning. I feel more alert and aware since I've been taking it, plus, I know it has other benefits. My question is this: Do the benefits of taking my 2Tbsp of MCT oil every day outweigh the fact that it technically breaks my fast? How much does the MCT oil interfere with the benefits of fasting?
  • christina135
    christina135 Posts: 8 Member
    Good morning, from SA TX. I have been doing IF on and off for months, and when I stick with it, I am successful.

My question is regarding the use of coffee/tea and artificial sweeteners during fasting. I've found mixed answers.

Thank you!