Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fair to Request “No Junk Food” at HOME?

80CATS
80CATS Posts: 26 Member
So, hubbz and I are both overweight BIG EATERS, I am actively trying to lose, he is not actively trying to, but does work out regularly.

Anyway, I have asked that we not bring junk food into the house, but rather go out for single servings when we want those foods (ie: hit an ice cream shop and savor a cone rather than keeping ice cream in freezer, etc). This helps me *tremendously*, as I am a recovering binge eater and a NIGHTTIME eater (anyone else who suffers this knows it’s so hard to control, like being a zombie, so making sure there’s no junk in the kitchen to sleep-eat has been very helpful to me).

We have no kids (CFBC), eat out fairly often, and definitely get our TREAT on...just outside the home...

Last night, I found a pkg of peanut M&Ms he had “hidden” (poorly LOL), and asked him to stick them in his car—which he happily obliged—it got me worrying though that my request is maybe unfair? I asked him if he felt “oppressed” by my request, and he kept insisting it was no big deal, but I just wanted some outside opinions:

IS IT FAIR TO KINDLY REQUEST that my (fellow plus sized) partner refrain from bringing junk food in house?

TL; DR: fair to ask others to honor a “no junk in the house” rule?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Explain to your husband what you shared with us about the background and reasoning. If he’s ok with it, as he seems to be, great. If doesn’t like it, or is unwilling to cooperate, then a compromise will be needed.