WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    so when I get to an occasional British word that I don't understand, I can look the word up to see what it means.

Barbie from NW WA

Such as? :)

Keeping in mind I had to learn a whole new version of English when I moved to Australia. :grin:

Meanwhile, in other sort of language-related news ...

Word is driving me insane!

You think to yourself, I'll just number this next section and Word says, "you want numbers?" Here are some letters, dots, weird indents and sure, we'll throw in a number or two as well!

Heaven forbid you want to put a picture into the middle of it all.

And I'm actually not bad at using Word. I wouldn't say an expert, but I can usually produce what I want with it. However, I'm merging 5 people's work together and Word is throwing me some curly ones.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited May 2019
    Barbie - It was me who recommended TYOLD. :D I found it great fun. Our next cruise has 4 stops in Denmark, so it was by way of doing research, though I have read umpteen books about Scandinavia! I lived in Denmark for a month in 1992, but I was staying at a theatre commune so I didn't get much chance to see the country. We called in to Copenhagen on a recent cruise, but a capital city is never representative of the country as a whole. The book is witness to that!
    Normally I learn the language if I'm going on holiday to a country, but I've been warned off Danish as the pronunciation is so difficult. I'm still plugging away at my Swedish every day on Duolingo, so that will have to do. Most Scandinavians understand Swedish.
    Of course, everyone will speak perfect English, but I will stutter along with one or two Danish phrases off Google. We only have one Swedish port and I intend to make the most of it. "Jag tycker om talar svenska. " I like to speak Swedish. That will be my mantra.
    I also read her next book, which is not quite as good, but still worth a read. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - I'm now reading yet another running book! :o:p
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Terri: I’m sure that my dad had PTSD. He had horrible nightmares and night sweats for the balance of his life. The US brought their guys home and dumped them in the streets. It was joyous to be on home soil, but nobody tended to their hidden war wounds. :sad:

M in Oz: The photo is excellent and reminds me of fall at the Oregon Coast. Luckily we have several months before we get fall weather. :wink:

Heather: I’m glad that you are going to Ros’s funeral to support her boys. They will appreciate the presence of their mom’s best friends. :heart:

Lisa: Good wishes for the citizens of Fort Smith. I am happy that you are in the hills away from the flooding. :star:

Michele: I record my shows, too. I can fast forward through commercials in some, but not all of my shows. Those advertisers want their products seen. :ohwell:

Vicki GINE: Have you built an ARK yet? You’ve had so much damage in your state already. :grumble: I hope things settle down and people can go about their regular lives soon. :star:

M in OZ: TV has a huge roll as a babysitter for “children” of all ages. :wink:

(((NY Karen)))

Barbara: I love the Kingdom of God quotation in relation to contractors. :bigsmile:

DSIL & DBIL are now up. They’ll be leaving for home today. No hurry, we have time for breakfast first. They need to travel through Portland after morning rush hour traffic so there is no hurry.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    ☘️
  • jenfra123
    jenfra123 Posts: 45 Member
    Hi. I'm new to this thread.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Just popping in, before going out of cell range.

Today I'll pack for camping trip and try to talk to FA. Other than that, the next 3 days' goals are to be present for and listen to Joe, play with Scooter and Tumble, and walk, walk, walk, or maybe even ride my bike if the campground is flat enough ;)

Lisa and Barbie: Contractors! roflmao.gif Barbie do you remember the title of that mystery? Sounds line a timely read... ;)
    Welcome @jenfra123!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 15/31, 60 g protein 24/31, rx/vits 23/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 5/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 14/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 19/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    👍
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • jrh_this_better_work
    jrh_this_better_work Posts: 92 Member
    Hey, all! I'm Jessica and approaching 50 at light speed. This is my second day back at MFP after regaining way more of the pounds that I lost previously than is acceptable.

I run every morning, although many mornings I only get through a mile (I'm on a streak since 1/1/19). I want to do other exercises but am struggling to find something I can stick to. Open to suggestions!

Jessica from TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    I got an appt with the doc about my trigger finger. I know that he’s going to give me a cortisone shot and I won’t be able to do much. So, instead of the water class (I’ll take it Fri instead), I’ll do some HIIT. Then I go get my oil changed. Hopefully, he won’t be too backed up tomorrow because we have ceramics.

Went to the post office, did some of Pete’s diamond dotz, then into the pool I went. The water is 89.

Red – welcome! Keep jumping right in

Wednesday here: Decided to walk on the stairstepper. Haven’t done that in a while. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Exercise, went to get my oil changed, went to Aldi, then Habitat for Humanity, in my pool for a bit, want to get dinner ready because have to get the cortisone shot for my trigger finger and I know that I won’t be able to do much, need to stop at Publix.

Not much time. Need to take a shower, get dressed, dinner ready, then to the MD. So sorry if I miss anyone

Welcome every new

KJ – everything happens for a reason, I truly believe that.

Lisa – stay safe

Barbara – have fun

Michele in NC off to the shower
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    NYKaren: Thinking of you and sending light.

Lisa: I got a little shudder up my spine when I read about your grant challenge. Excited and proud of you, but definitely relieved I'm retired from fundraising.

Went over 5k steps yesterday and paying for it today. Also got into some salty and sugary foods out of sheer boredom. Today will have to be a fasting day with lots of rest for the ankles. I've used Reiki on myself, but I'm feeling my energy has tapped out, so going to another practitioner on Friday.

Hope everyone in central U.S. is safe from high waters and nasty storms. Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    trying to SMILE
    Colorado Foothills
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Jenfra123 & Jessica from TX: Welcome! Stop by often. :flowerforyou:

DBIL & DSIL have been here for a few days and we had fun with them. They’re going back to their daughter’s house in Wilsonville and leaving for home from there in a day or two. I’ve enjoyed their company and look forward to the next time we get to see them.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited May 2019
    We were going to go out to the jazz this evening, but it started to rain even before I set out for my run this pm, so I cancelled the run and spent a happy hour watching 24 hrs in A&E (emergency room) while rowing and biking. 377 bonus calories . DH came back from his walk absolutely soaked, so I was glad I decided not to venture out.
    This evening I had no planned food in the house as we were going to go to Fatto a Mano before the music. Quick discussion on what to have instead. I opened an 'emergency' can of Confit de Canard and had it with cannelini beans and frozen leaf spinach. Heaven! A bottle of Syrah got opened as well. Thank goodness I have got 977 calories exercise total under my belt. I have put off weighing myself for a few weeks, so I'm a bit nervous about doing that. Need to grasp the nettle. :o

DH had an insurance quote for the car today. Every year he questions the quote by phone, has an argument, and gets a reduction,. Today he decided to check quotes from other companies. They were half what he had been paying. So he has cancelled the policy and is taking up the new quote. What total b××××××s. They claim to be brokers who search for the cheapest quote. Sell themselves on their trusted name. Grrrrrrrrrr! :# How can these people live with themselves. They are crooks.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Lisa~ please dont leave me my friend.... I understand about getting off Facebook though.. I stay as it is a way to connect with my cousins around the country.. and a few out of state friends.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    edited May 2019
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    so when I get to an occasional British word that I don't understand, I can look the word up to see what it means.

Barbie from NW WA

Such as? :)

Keeping in mind I had to learn a whole new version of English when I moved to Australia. :grin:

:) the two that I remember from last night are:
    "lilo"---an air mattress
    "*kitten*-a-hoop"--extremely pleased

:)Heather, It makes perfect sense that you would have been the one who recommended "The Year of Living Danishly" because you have recommended so many other fabulous books, beginning with "The Happiness Project" several years ago.

:)Lisa, I had good reasons for getting away from Facebook and I'm glad I did it. I hope it brings you the change you seek.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Lisa and Barbie: Contractors! roflmao.gif Barbie do you remember the title of that mystery? Sounds line a timely read... ;)

"Prime Cut" by Diane Mott Davidson

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,745 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

I, on the other hand, can go whole days without uttering a word.

M in Oz

Machka ... Because you respond so often on this thread with written words, I would never have thought that you were quiet in person. Interesting. You do your "talking" with writing.

Beth

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,027 Member
    ☘️
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    mvzv2170lptl.jpg