Medically/Doctor supervised weight loss program recommendations

MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
Anyone on a medically/doctor supervised weight loss program that you would recommend? Information like the pros and cons, the good and the bad, what you like about it and what you don't is what I am looking for.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I don't, but just to help you get more targeted replies - how much weight do you need to lose, and do you have any medical conditions that complicate things?
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    A couple of years ago, I went to a bariatric center. They recommended increasing protein, decreasing carbs to below 100g per day, and tracking calories (they actually mentioned MFP).
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I am in a program I really like. It's only in my area though, so its not nation-wide. I visit every 4-6 weeks. At the appts I weigh in, and they give me updates on numbers like my BMI, blood pressure, BF% etc. Each time I have the option of meeting with a nutritionist as well, and there is one available via e-mail all the time. My calories and macros get updated per visit. It is not a difficult program to follow but there is a lot of structure to your days, which I happen to be benefiting from. While the advice and guidelines they give is not necessary for everyone to lose weight, the structure of it has really helped me. They really help you make lifestyle changes so you will have long term success. It wouldn't make sense to tell you my numbers because it all depends on each individual person, but I have had a very positive experience at this clinic. They aren't all bad :)
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    I would NOT suggest the Dr. Bernstein Diet center. I went for several months a few years back and although I lost some weight I also lost hair and quite a bit of money. I did not reach my goal and the weight I had lost I gained back within a year. The diet is under 900 calories. They tell you that you'll lose 4 lbs a week. I never did. Because I didn't lose fast enough they reduced my calories. At one point I estimated I was eating about 600 calories a day. We were supposed to see a medical doctor I believe every 3 weeks but it was more than 6 weeks due to a lack of personnel.

I'm sure there are some good programs out there but when I finally lost my weight I did the best just counting calories and logging on MFP. Good Luck.

that sounds...horrible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Why not get recommendations from your doctor 1st?

Ya, your doctor could refer you to a dietitian and that could be all you need.

I'm a veteran and liked the VA TeleMOVE program. I didn't learn anything new, but having to weigh myself every day and knowing someone was looking at it periodically was useful to me.
  • fcanad
    fcanad Posts: 48 Member
    Look at options through your insurance company. Sometimes your insurance company offers a discount on a program that’s separate from doctors, etc.
  • sammidelvecchio
    The clinic I go to gives B12 shots, but i've never tried them. They say it will suppress appetite and boost energy.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    The clinic I go to gives B12 shots, but i've never tried them. They say it will suppress appetite and boost energy.

Snake oil salesmen advice.
  • sammidelvecchio
    @pierinifitness B vitamins definitely give me energy, I take it in pill form. But it's never suppressed my appetite.
  • pierinifitness
    @sammidelvecchio - I believe you but wonder how you measure your added energy; or, is it your perception.
  • sammidelvecchio
    @pierinifitness With chronic illness I am typically extremely low energy, I have tried a lot of different things and usually notice either a very tiny increase or nothing at all. When I started taking a B-complex vitamin, it was enough of a noticeable difference to make me believe it was working :) I've had blood work done and I never showed low on B or D vitamins, but for whatever reason I can feel the difference when I add more B.
  • pierinifitness
    @sammidelvecchio - sorry to learn of your chronic illness, my wife suffers too so I understand. Glad you get some benefit, something is better than nothing when other solutions have failed to provide some benefit and relief. Keep marching forward in your fitness, health and wellness journey.
  • sammidelvecchio
    @pierinifitness thank you for your kind words! Yes, it is constant trial and error, but c'est la vie. Best wishes for your wife and her health as well
  • kshama2001
    @pierinifitness With chronic illness I am typically extremely low energy, I have tried a lot of different things and usually notice either a very tiny increase or nothing at all. When I started taking a B-complex vitamin, it was enough of a noticeable difference to make me believe it was working :) I've had blood work done and I never showed low on B or D vitamins, but for whatever reason I can feel the difference when I add more B.

I was quite sick in the late 90s and received some sort of vitamin IV that surely included B which did indeed help me feel better. I don't recall what, if anything, was the effect on my appetite.
  • kshama2001
    Danp wrote: »
    My initial reaction is the best medical/doctor supervised program is the one your medical professional/doctor suggests.

My second reaction was to wonder. Is there a reason you're looking for or feel you need a program so severe that it would require medical supervision? Are you trying to address a specific or immediate medical risk?

I've been watching season 7 of My 600 Pound Life - those people definitely need intensive medical intervention.

I've been as high as 80 pounds overweight and that didn't require more than regular visits to the doctor. I did pop into a weight loss clinic once and decided all I needed was my regular doctor.

I have no idea where the line should be drawn, however, and it wouldn't be strictly weight-based - people could be more or less managing their weight through unhealthy coping mechanisms such as bulimia and greatly benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy, etc.

Speaking of My 600 Pound Life and therapy - those patients should be given therapy automatically. "Stick to 1200 calories per day or you will die" rarely works for any of them right off the bat.