NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Replies

• theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,196 Member
    @trooworld Sounds like you are making progress. Now you can get back to your cooking for the week so you can eat healthy foods then add in some exercise. Any good place to walk around your new neighborhood?

@teresaw1020 It's funny everytime I read your post, I think I'm reading cbabie's. You have so much in common. I thought you were talking my mom for a bit with the moving advice. Then I got to the baby shower part and thought I don't think this is cbabie. I'm glad you got some new shirts. New clothes are always fun. I hope you find a good WW leader.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,781 Member
    @TeresaW1020 Wow, that is a lot of moving. That must have been traumatic as a child, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Yeah, I can't unpack anything during the week...I get home and only have about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime and all I want to do is relax. I figure I'll do it on the weekend! 98 degrees? Wow! It's chilly over here on the west coast. I can't wait until it warms up some. Of course, I'll be complaining when it gets too hot, too! lol I hope you like the Weds leader, it makes a big difference if you like the leader. I hope the baby shower goes well!

@cbabie That's great that you got on your treadmill. Do you have a goal to get on a certain number of minutes a week? I do hope I will be amazed! Right now, I am amazed my body is holding up lol. Clearing out closets...my husband said I have entirely too many clothes. But I wear them all!!!

@TrishasTime chocolates...yesterday, at work, I ate 3 pieces of Dove promises and my officemate gave me a brownie from the cafe (but I did not eat the brownie). I was eating out of stress. Can you do chair yoga for the stress?

@its_cleo Unpacking the kitchen first is a great strategy. Functional first is smart. The kitchen is almost done, just have to put up the spice rack and unpack the box with spices in it, put away the pot lids. I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon. It's so beautiful, my brother (whom I live vicariously through) went and took pictures and it is marvelous. I wish you luck making your decision, I know you will make the right one for you!

@theslightedgeforever I think I am. Well, there are the canyons in my neighborhood, I can walk in them if my husband is with me (I can't walk alone in them because homeless people tend to live in the canyons here), other than that, we live deep in a neighborhood so I can walk in the neighborhood. There is supposed to be a nice indie coffee shop about a 23-minute walk from here that I want to try. As soon as we get more unpacked, I will go exploring. The coffee shop hosts hikes in the canyons but unfortunately, they are only on Mondays. :(

Hi all. I went back to work yesterday after being off work for almost a week. Man, I had a lot of emails and things to catch up on. I didn't quite catch up and will play catch up today still. I was so overwhelmed that I stopped and bought stuff for sandwiches for dinner.

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    TrishasTime Posts: 588 Member
    Hi everyone

@trooworld - I supposed living with a retired police officer, I got used to moving and I can unpack the whole house in 1.5days. (done it heaps of times) That being said, I have never actually moved my own furniture. I hire a truck and people to move it and I just trail behind in my car. I always start with the kitchen and move into the master bedroom, being sleep and eat. Hope you have got it comfortable enough to relax when you get home

@theslightedgeforever - Sound wonderful walking along a beach, I love people watching as well and imagining how there life is based on snippets of conversation that you hear. When are you actually set to move your daughter?

@its_cleo - I would choose option 1. Vacays are supposed to be relaxing - not stressful. It is the Grand Canyon you have always wanted to see - the other parks are the add on.

I can not remember who asked by Foundation Day is always celebrated on the first Monday in June each year to commemorate the founding of the Swan River Colony in 1829.

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld Good for you for not eating the brownie. I would have eaten that and not the other stuff. That coffee shop sounds neat. I'd walk there and then get me something to drink, sit and read a bit and then walk home. An incentive to exercise. Playing catch up at work is hard but you'll get there. One day you will look back at all this as a distant memory. Now you can start putting in some good healthy routines for food and exercise and get back to losing weight and staying healthy.

@trishastime The moving truck is reserved for June 4. She really doesn't have much to move. Basically a bed, sofa, TV stand, TV and ironing board. The rest is her clothes and bathroom stuff. The kitchen total will probably be 2 boxes not counting the food in the pantry. That's it. think college student apt. She's not even lived here since October since she's been living in different cities every 6 weeks doing clinical rotations. It was me who asked about Foundation day. I guess I'll need to go look up Swan River Colony. Were they the first settlers or something?
    So how goes your health journey?

I did an interesting exercise in my journal today out of the book I am reading. First question was Why have I struggled with my weight for so long? Next question was If I broke my jaw and I had to have it wired shut what would be the worst fear about what would happen? Then you keep answering these questions based on your answers til you can't go any further.

If that happened, then what?
    If that’s true, what does that mean?
    What does that say about me?

Ross, Carolyn Coker. The Emotional Eating Workbook: A Proven-Effective, Step-by-Step Guide to End Your Battle with Food and Satisfy Your Soul (p. 66). New Harbinger Publications. Kindle Edition.

I ended up with I would have to drink liquids through a straw while watching everyone else eat in all of my social circles and activities. That would make me feel deprived. Then by answering those three little questions I got it down to feeling deprived makes me feel others get more. I didn't/don't get enough or as much as others. So I must not be as important as others. Which brought it down to I'm not as loved. Food=love.

So tomorrow's lesson will be rewriting this whole script.
  • trooworld
    @TrishasTime I just can't imagine doing it in 1.5 days! Yes, we relax when we get home...come the weekend, we are going to work again though.

@theslightedgeforever I ate the brownie yesterday though. ;) That sounds like a plan with the coffee shop. I love to get coffee and read and people watch. They are having one of their canyon hikes this Saturday but I've got acupuncture. I will have to look at the time of their hike and see if it is after my hike, if so, maybe I'll go and meet some new neighbors. I can't wait to get back to my routine (yes, that's working on weight loss). Sounds like you had a powerful discovery with that book.

Hello all. I have had a lot of work stress the past couple of days, I hope that it is less today as it causes me to want to eat eat eat.

EMPOWERED.
  • cntrygrl1026
    cntrygrl1026 Posts: 24 Member
    Ok, I’m glad to have found this group! Right now I am tracking through WW and MFP. I’m kind of experimenting to decide which direction to go in. I know there are days my calories are extremely low and my points are high. So maybe I’m trying to find balance.
    Could use some MFP friends!😀
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

@angb1026 _ Hi there - welcome. There are others in this group that are doing both as well.. Looking forward to getting to know you

@thelsightedgeforever - funny you say that, someone made a comment to me how annoyed I get when things are unfair. It does not need to be me - it can be me watching others from a distance. I supposed growing up we were always the "poor" part of the family and I used to watch my cousins just devour and then destroy everything where we would have one thing and looked after it.
    Yes, they were the first settlers in Western Australia (some 60 years after the other side of Aus was discovered) and of course as we are surrounded by ocean, they settled by a river for water.

@trooworld - I am loving the idea of the local coffee shop

Friday here -I am on leave for the next week but I will be away from Tuesday will little or no internet

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @trooworld The canyon hike sounds fun. I wonder how often they do it. So you can join next time.

@angb1026 welcome to the group

@TrishasTime work your plan while you are away. Are you still doing the 100 day thing.

I’m in Washington DC right now. My feet hurt. I got over 17000 steps so I did my exercise today ;)

I’ll catch up with my journaling when I get back to my daughters house. We are returning tomorrow night
  • trooworld
    @angb1026 Hi and welcome! I'm glad you found us, too! :)

@TrishasTime I hope you have a nice vacation!

@theslightedgeforever I think they do it quite often, I'm sure I will catch them one of these days. I love DC. I used to live there for about 6 months with my older brother. I worked at Tower Records during my punk rocker phase. It was a lot of fun. :) That's a lot of steps!!!

Hi all! I am so glad it is Friday. Yesterday at work was so stressful. I didn't eat over it, but it was a very stressful day and I was at my breaking point. I went outside for a while and that helped. My job isn't necessarily stressful, it's just I had a lot of stuff due at once and coming back from being off, it was backed up. I'm sure glad it is Friday!

EMPOWERED.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Good morning! :)

@trooworld, I hope you can find some rest this weekend. Maybe take a break from unpacking and go do something relaxing. You deserve it!! <3

@theslightedgeforever, I’ve always wanted to go to D.C. Did you do all the touristy stuff? That was a good journal entry you shared. I very much identify with what you wrote. Feeling deprived has been one of the biggest hurdles for me to try to overcome. Food=love is such a lie that we so often allow ourselves to believe. My first thought about having my jaw wired was that I could finally lose a few pounds! :D

@TrishasTime, Have a wonderful vacation!! Be patient with that ankle of yours! <3

@its_cleo, You should go to the Grand Canyon and have a wonderful time! Can you believe I lived in Arizona twice in my life and have never been to the GC? One of my big regrets! I did spend a weekend in Sedona. Soooo beautiful!! :)

@cbabie, you are so sweet!! <3 I do like to have fun and I definitely love throwing a good party. My sister has custody of her 5-year-old grandson and her health really worries me. What are you trying to change up in your diet now? I’m also trying to figure out what I can change up. ;)

@angb1026, welcome! We are a great group who share our struggles, successes, and daily lives with each other. Jump right on in! :)

Yayyy it’s Friday! Hopefully, I will be able to come home early and get my house cleaned before tomorrow! I’m teaching children’s church and haven’t even begun my lesson. I’m doing Exodus 19 which is right before the Ten Commandments chapter. Really bummed out that I don’t get to teach that chapter. :/ Ohhhh well, I will put something together and we will have a good time and hopefully learn something too. :p

I went to the Wednesday WW meeting and lost 1.2 lbs. I'm still up from my Florida trip but at least I'm losing. I've been struggling to get back on track. But I have a new plan!! Maybe! ;) I'm still torn about which day and leader I want to attend. Both women are nice, full of energy and a little weird. I did like the Wednesday because they meet at 8 am and doing my Walmart and Trader Joes shopping that early was heavenly! The funny thing was that I saw my favorite leader at the Wednesday meeting. Her last day is this coming Tuesday so I'm going to go on Tuesday and say good-bye. Then I'm going to give Wednesday a few weeks and see I want to make the switch permanently.

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2019
    @theslightedgeforever that’s a good journal exercise. I learned to do stuff like that with anxiety or other strong emotions (bc I had bad anxiety for years). Situation: x feeling : fear. What do you believe about the situation? What do you assume? And then what and then what. It helped to get to the root of things. – 17000 steps that’s a lot! You deserve to put your feet up now! Is that where your daughter is moving?

@trooworld I hope things settle down for you at work. That is the worst. I feel like we put so much energy into work, it can be hard to balance. The canyon hikes sound fun, hope you can do it at another time.

@TeresaW2010- that’s like me, I live in Toronto and I;ve never been up the CN Tower. Somehow we always miss the things close to us. --- I may go to the GC, I have to renew my passport so I’m going to get that started Monday. I’m leaning toward the hiking tour. At least you have a couple good options with WW. I like the idea of trying it out and then you can switch.

@angb1026 welcome to the group! I started with WW and then switched to MFP. I had the exact same thing. My points would be high but calories low, too low for me ie 1300 so I ended up switching to MFP. But ww was a good start for me.

@TrishasTime I hope you enjoy your holiday!

I’m going to a meditation retreat overnight. I have mixed feelings about it lol. Part of me is like- this is good for you. The other part of me is like- this is a drag, lol. They told us not to bring our phones, I don’t know if I can do that. I need to see the baseball scores lol.

My calories- MFP says for maintenance I should be eating 1840. I don’t eat my exercise calories. But week after week I;m averaging around 1890. It’s not a big deal bc I’m not gaining weight, but I wanted to get it down so I could theoretically start to lose. The good thing is I am learning as I go, so I;ve been doing this for about 6 weeks, and each week I’m learning a bit more about when I go above and why.
  • TrishasTime
    GM all

@its_cleo - Hope you have a fun time despite being phone free. I love that you are exercising in such nice places. Have you gone any further with the nice guy?

@teresaw1020 - I expect you know - but you can go to as many meeting as you like per week. Why not double up for a while and just weigh in on the one you want and really give the 2 leaders a go. I am assuming Trader Joe is a grocery shop? Do you have Coles over there?

@trooworl - The weekend has finally come and you have spent a whole week in your new home :) Why not take just one day out and appreciate what you have achieved. The unpacking will always be there. The in-tray will never be empty and there will always be something else to do

@theslightedgeforever - 17K steps and your feet hurt - I think mine would have cut themselves off at the ankles (LOL) - No Mum - I have not continued with the 100 days - sadly I could not get past some parts that were totally irrelevant to me and was marking N/A.

Hello to @cbabie, @gemwolf110, @prisoner2food, @angb1026 - Hope you are all doing well

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    I'm back at my dd's apt. Another 15K today. Tomorrow I will be sitting most of the day I will tell you. I'll catch up with personals tomorrow. I'm sure once I get on the scales tomorrow I will see a gain. But back to the business of maintaining like I've done for 2 weeks.
  • trooworld
    @TeresaW1020 I will take a mini-break on Sunday when I go on a hike through the canyons in my neighborhood with my friend: I saw on Instagram that this coffee kiosk in the neighborhood is hosting a hike with champagne and cheese & crackers so we are going to go on that. It's about 1 1/2 hr hike, hopefully my knees can handle it! Congrats on the loss and good luck picking a meeting!

@its_cleo Thanks, I think it will settle down next week. There is a canyon hike on Sunday that I am going on (see above). It's going to be fun! I would love to go to a meditation retreat but it would also make me very anxious not to have my phone lol. That's good that you are learning as you go.

@TrishasTime I did nothing last night, just sat around watching tv. Today, we unpack some more. :) Sunday, I go on a hike (see above).

@theslightedgeforever Great job on the steps! Have a good day, I can't wait to hear what you've been up to in DC.

Good morning all. I have an acupuncture appointment this morning and it is much needed. I ordered groceries to be delivered this afternoon, I'm not messing around with going to multiple stores. I do have to go to the produce store, but it will be a quick stop. My husband and I are at an impasse about the purchase of an entertainment center: he wants to spend $60 on one from Amazon, I budgeted up to $300 on one and can be flexible and don't want to buy one that is not going to match our furniture or fall apart in a month. :/ We'll work it out, but for now, the TV is on our new coffee table and we are using a cardboard box as the coffee table lol.

EMPOWERED.
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

My cleaner had to go to the ED with a blocked gut and ended up with surgery. Why would I tell you this - I hear you asking. Because it meant I had to clean my own home :(. However, I got over 12K steps. These were all incident steps. I was wearing a brand new pair of running shoes recommended by my GP (not for running but for ankle support) My ankle was less troublesome,

@theslightedgeforever - I assume you are sitting because you will be the car with all the stuff? Take every opportunity to stretch and walk at every stop. I hate long hauls - rather fly, at least you can get up and move around the plane.

@trooworld _ Good luck with hiking ( knee wise). Take some nice pictures for us?

Take care
  • theslightedgeforever
    @gemwolf110 How have you been doing lately?

@trooworld I'm glad you chose not to over eat due to the stress. That's progress. That hike sounds fun. I once used the cardboard box that the TV came in for almost two years because I couldn't find the perfect TV table I was looking for. How about look for something in the middle that matches for you and is cheaper for him. Even better is hang it on the wall and you save so much more money. You don't have to dust the TV table. They have those swivel wall hangers for the TV so you can swing it out and be moved in different directions and then pushed back when not in use.

@teresaw1020 I went to DC last year and took care of most of the touristy stuff but couldn't get tickets to two of the museums that I wanted to see. So that's why we went back while we're this close. Now that my dd is moving back to the Midwest I doubt we'll be back to the east coast anytime soon. I still owe her a Maine trip though. We saw the African American and Holocaust museums. Along with the Native American museum. Tried to see Ford's theater but on Thursday they were sold out so we went early Friday morning only to be told they were closed for maintenance all day. I guess I'll go look and see where Lincoln was shot online. I think I've seen a replica of it in Springfield IL. Me and my mom once took a trip there and did all the touristy Lincoln stuff. I have seen the Grand Canyon twice though. lol Yaaay on your loss.

@its_cleo Dd is moving to Rochester MN. She got a job at Mayo Clinic. We'll head there on Wednesday. How was the retreat? I'd miss my kindle. That's good that you are learning the balance of maintenance. I've got about 24 more days I think then I'll switch back into weight loss mode and continue on with my 100 More Days plan. So far I'm still in my weight range from when I arrived at my dd's apt.

@trishastime 100 days book. That means that you are doing very well with your program I think and don't need it. There were some days where I had N/A for the day but I wrote about times I was in that situation in the past and what I would do or think. Other times if it occurred a couple of days ahead, I went back to that page and entered in the info. Yaaay on your steps. I'm sitting because I walked too darn much the last two days. lol My legs and ankles literally hurt. I had to take some ibuprofen before I slept last night. We leave with all the stuff on the 5th. We got the boxes today. Good thing is she has no pics on the walls or no little knicknacks that have to be wrapped and packed up. I hope she makes her next apartment a home and not just a place to sleep.

• trooworld
    @TrishasTime Oh that's awful about your cleaner! I hope he/she is okay. I'm glad you got 12K steps in though!

@theslightedgeforever We actually found something yesterday, it is coming Weds. Then we have to put it together...that will take some time lol. He doesn't like the TV on the wall for some reason?

Hello all. I think I've decided not to go on that hike because, as much as I really want to go on it and meet some of my neighbors, my knees are still not 100% from moving and I don't want to mess them up further. So, I'm going to see if my friend wants to do something else. Maybe go to lunch or go for a walk around the neighborhood. I'm really disappointed, I wanted to explore the canyons, but the hike was going to be 1 1/2 hours and I think I couldn't take that at this point.

EMPOWERED.
  • its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    Well I survived the retreat. It was good, a good accomplishment for me bc I was nervous about it. I meditate every day but I find it a challenge. The only thing is I struggle with insomnia, so I didn't really sleep at night. But one night is not a big deal.

Still planning my trip to GC. I met a woman who also wants to go in Sept so we are considering going together. If I have a driving buddy then we will probably rent a car and tour around ourselves. If I end up going alone I will probably book with a hiking company.

--I'm not a fan of TV on the wall either, but I like having an bookshelf/entertainment unit. I actually need to buy a new one myself, bc I just have a cheap little table I bought years ago and then never replaced.

@trooworld, at least the canyon hikes occur often from the sound of it so you can go another time. It's better to wait until you can really enjoy it and not struggle physically. You've definitely done a lot the last couple weeks. Maybe you can go with your friend to the coffee place.

@theslightedgeforever ah I see. Nice you got a chance to stop and check out some of the sights in DC. That's nice for your daughter except I think Minnesota is colder than here in the winter I think lol. It's funny everyone has the stereotype Canada is so cold but some of the States get colder than we do- at least in Toronto, which is pretty mild.

Our summer is turning out to be rainy and cool so I'm kind of bummed about that.

@TrishasTime I haven't seen my hiking pal again. He's in the hiking club that I'm in and I just haven't had time for any hikes and/or the distances were too long. I've been thinking alot about though, and I think I would prefer to be friends for now.

That sucks about your cleaner! Man you are due for a looong string of good luck. It's just been one thing after another.

Today I'm taking it easy, tomorrow I'm going in to the office. I have to get my passport renewed so I will do it while I'm downtown. New picture and all- I hate those pictures!
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    @its_cleo, good to hear that you enjoyed your retreat. I don’t know if I could do that. I tried to meditate once and was so bored and my mind kept wandering. I’m always having to apologize to God when I’m praying unless I’m praying out loud. :D

@TrishasTime, yes, I do know that I could attend more than one WW meeting a week. But I do not want to get up early two days in a row. :D

@trooworld, bummer you couldn’t go on the hike, but it sounds like you made the right decision if your knees are hurting. I’m sure they will do it again and you will get to go. <3

@theslightedgeforever, I love a good museum!! You are quite the traveler, aren’t you? When do you come back home? :)

My baby shower yesterday was great fun, and everyone had such a good time! I had 15 ladies and one tiny infant in attendance. I was so exhausted afterward that I could barely move and ended up going to be before 9 pm. I’m still drained today, and I had to teach children’s church. The rest of the day is going to be spent making a shopping list for next week and then planting myself on the couch and binging some Master Chef. :D I ate wayyy to much sugar and drank too much punch yesterday too. I’ve decided that for the rest of June I am going to refrain from all refined sugary foods and as many refined carbs as I can. I really want to see if I can jump start my weight loss some more. Especially since half the year is gone. Yikes!! :#
  • TrishasTime
    GM everyone

It is Foundation day (Western Australia Day) here. Therefore it is a public holiday for most. Today we pack the caravan (RV, travel trailer). We move up to a farm tomorrow, where water is precious, so no long showers as we only have a certain amount of water on board. Good thing is that we are about 20 min from town, so I can always go to buy bottled water for drinking. Filling 270-litre tank that we use the showers and toilet is not an option.

@theslightedgeforever - The holocaust museum - what was that like? I can truly imagine how your feet felt. Hope all goes well with the packing

@gemwolf110 - Good luck in selling your goods :) I hope this year is much better

@trooworld - If your knees are still hurting, I think you made a wise decision. TV on the wall - I am with your DH - I would hate to see the cords.

@teresaw1020 - I am so glad you had a wonderful baby shower and that everyone enjoyed themselves

Its_cleo - I am glad you survived :) But.. did you get out of it what you wanted - was it to learn to meditate more deeply/ I have just started meditating and my mind wanders everywhere and I am trying to keep pulling it back

Take care