Struggling to input every food I eat

aliciamariebishop
aliciamariebishop Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi everyone, really new to my fitness pal, it’s supper easy to use but with a busy day some days I find it hard to track everything i am eating as well as to know if what I am eating is helping me loose weight or is good. Anyway hoping to loose some weight and trying to stay positive !

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Just do your best hun. Log all you can on lunch breaks to bathroom breaks. I still eat something think I put it in remember 2 days later which doesn’t help but I go back add it then go darn it over by -17 ! Or 125! Lol

Dressings fattening so go by serving sizes. Do your best it’s all you got. Think before ordering takeout even... grilled chicken or battered go for grilled. Drink water if you feel like you really want a treat limit it for taste not eating. 2 m&ms instead of a whole bag then fill up on a low calorie veggie.
    Spare time type in what you like take a look at the lists calories to sizes. Can always erase if you accidentally add one. I did that to see what was making my salads healthy or not calories wise. Found avocado high, boiled egg around 80 calories, etc but then found squash skillet with water only just pepper or use a steamer to cook it or air fryer bam lower calories. Lettuce low calories I add a cucumber to it. I watch corn I add cause no salt corns 60 calories per 1/3can serving , Found ketchup has calories but low ,pepper zero calories, lemon juice or lime around 5-20calories.
    Mix y matching now trying to add low calorie items so I get more bang for the buck calories wise.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2019
    My new recipe I’m eating get a skillet add water ,no salt 1/3 canned corn 60 cal servings cook it . Then same skillet water ,tuna in water 1 can 110 calories according to my can cook if you add 1/2 tsp margarine 35calories.Add it on top of 2 cups mixed lettuce or spinach 15-20 calories leaves. If I feel really hungry 1 boiled egg 80 calories . Total around 305 cal if you add everything. No egg minus 80cal. No margarine minus another 35cal.
    Can make it as low as 190 calories.
    Can add 0calories blk pepper
  • aliciamariebishop
    Thank you this is supper helpful I haven’t been eating out, but I have been encoperating more saladas as well as avocados
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    It's a question of making it a habit. I try to log food as I'm preparing and plating it.

In the food log, you're looking for either the correct brand entry, or entries that match the USDA published info. Avoid "generic" or recipe-style entries like "macaroni and cheese". Log the pasta, then the cheese, then the milk.

It gets easier as you go :smile:

These may help too:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10621050/how-to-use-the-usda-food-database-mfp-food-database-for-accurate-logging/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • aliciamariebishop
    That’s really good anyone have any food ideas that they eat regularly ?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Lol I’m old as can be but got a 2yr old lol eating out happens on his fussy days for this old bird. You won’t believe me but back in the day my nickname was flaca. Lol not anymore.
    -I like egg wheat toast take a slice of bread make a hole place in your skillet with a tiny bit of margarine 1/2tsp. Crack egg over the bread cook flip cook flip eat. Makes a nice treat I put some grapes or strawberries on the side. Only need 1 slice of bread or toast. 1 egg. Any healthy fruit you want.
    - zucchini pasta bought a $5 Walmart tool its litterely nothing in calories 33! Compared to pasta so you can double the portion still be under! I love how filling it is. I put a tap-tablespoon of sauce on it then mix well can add olives,tomatoes,spinach.
    - - No dressing salad - Lettuce,kale,or spinach leaves add diced cucumber y tomatoes. Makes it super moist in skillet heat up spinach leaves put on top. I then if I want add meat or meat substitutes or more veggies or my favorite! Diced sweet apple to give it a candy taste!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I log my entire day before breakfast. Breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and dessert. Then, if my day changes up for some reason, I just make minor tweaks to my food diary.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Thank you this is supper helpful I haven’t been eating out, but I have been encoperating more saladas as well as avocados

It depends on what else you are eating but avocados are considered a high-calorie vegetable. You have to weigh, record, and look at the calories of your food.

BTW, it's "lose weight," not "loose."

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Oh sorry Verdenal didn’t realize I misspelled even autocorrect can’t keep up with my bad English.The prints so small I have no clue how to make it bigger everyone told me don’t use all Caps.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    I meal prep so I know what I will be eating throughout the day, so I log everything in the morning. I think it’s just working on it to make it a habit.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    I havent got an 'app' and wouldnt know what to do with it if I did, so unless I am at home on the laptop, I write the food into my 'notes' on my phone, rather laborious admittedly, and then later in the evening put it in the website.
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    When I'm preparing my meal, I write down the weight of everything I put into my meal. I then log it online once I've had a chance to sit down and enjoy my food.

I found this takes up less time for me. I just keep a notebook in the kitchen next to my scale.

I also tend to eat the same thing for lunch everyday. I just copy over the ingredients from the previous day then update the grams if anything changed.