Question about work and burning calories...

Naturally_Monica
Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
edited May 2019 in Getting Started
Hey guys. I work a very active job and I was wondering if anyone logs calories burned by their physical job? I’m not sure how I would calculate it anyway, but I just realized I have to burn a lot of calories at my job.

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited May 2019
    Did you not take your job into account when you set your activity level? That's exactly what that's for :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    didn't you just ask this in another thread...
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Get a tracker . One way to measure your activity level.
  • Naturally_Monica
    didn't you just ask this in another thread...

I posted in 2 threads to reach more people and get more opinions.
  • Naturally_Monica
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Did you not take your job into account when you set your activity level? That's exactly what that's for :)

I just never really thought about it until now.
  • Naturally_Monica
    lx1x wrote: »

Like a step tracker? I never thought of doing that. I do a lot of bending, lifting, and walking, so I would have to put it on my ankle so it doesn’t register my hand movements when I am still
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Kowoolo wrote: »

Like a step tracker? I never thought of doing that. I do a lot of bending, lifting, and walking, so I would have to put it on my ankle so it doesn’t register my hand movements when I am still

Yes.. with heart rate monitor... It's trial and error ... I have mine on my wrist.. been working in garage " lifting and bending" and doesn't count as steps.
  • smlorraine416
    smlorraine416 Posts: 9 Member
    Get a basic Fitbit. You can link your fit bit to MFP. It will help/account for your calories burned.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member

Then what... what did you think when the setup asked you to describe your ‘normal daily activity’ with examples of jobs at the different activity levels? And more importantly, what did you set?!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

They try to register foot impacts to see steps - despite the swing of the arms.
    Steps seen from arm swings are minor distance - and from that minor calorie burn.
    It might actually be better, even underestimated, for your extra activity. Because you describe a lot of activity for minor steps.

And since most have HRM now - that would be used for calorie based if your HR went up enough and it thought you were doing workouts.
    That's inflated calorie burn though.

Just select Active or Very Active - that's what it's for.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Danp wrote: »
    Your job and 'normal life' is taken into account in the activity level you choose. (Sedentary, lightly active, etc). It's a judgement call you make so pick the one you think is most appropriate. The higher the activity level you chose the higher you un-adjusted calorie target will be.

Remember though that this isn't set in stone. If you find that you chose a High activity level and the calorie target you're given doesn't seem right (you're not losing weight at the expected rate or perhaps you're struggling to eat that much food) then you can drop it back down. Conversely if you choose an activity level and find that your losing too quickly or constantly hungry then you can increase it.

The added exercise calories are designed to be credited for 'dedicated exercise sessions' rather than incidental activity in going about your day. However many, myself included, have my activity level set at sedentary and use an activity tracker. This means that days where I am truly sedentary I have very few calories added but on days where I am particularly active for whatever reason I get credited with more.

Don't get hung up on all this though. Weight management particularly at the start is a whole lot of guesswork, trial and error, and adjustment. Do something, see if it works and go from there.

Thank you for explaining this so well. I only set my activity level as “lightly active” because on the days I don’t work I’m very lazy.. but the days I do work I am very physical. So I thought it would even itself out. I appreciate your response.
  • Naturally_Monica

Then what... what did you think when the setup asked you to describe your ‘normal daily activity’ with examples of jobs at the different activity levels? And more importantly, what did you set?!

lightly active. I work 4 days 12 hour shifts, and on the days I am off I don’t do much. So I am not active like that every day. That’s why I am asking for opinions.. I’ve lost 25 pounds before so I’m not new to this.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    I couldn’t find your older post glad you did I’m still learning how to find new posts! My family got me a Apple Watch that beeps at me telling me to move.It’s now sitting on my bakers rack next to the diaper bag there it will sit.My iPhone has a step tracker app thingy that record mine but every time I forget to put it in my pocket it doesn’t count of course. I set mine at the least active even tho I chase a 2 yr old that bounces off the walls. I just add it by hand on that excersice part it has a lot of ones from walk slow 2.0 to if I remember right I saw work. Base it on what you do . I used to clean for a living let’s face it cleaning a hotel do maintenance when I was a young sprout you burn a lot. Later on Sitting at a desk a lot with walking to a copier I didn’t burn much. Restaurant work was a lot of steps but less flipping mattresses lol. So just do your best hun. Even if your under on the count at least your loosing the calories still.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Me personally, I like the Polar FT series
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    This Fitbit sounds nice the ads sound good too. Don’t use that Apple Watch every time I stop to change a diaper it thinks I’m lazy!
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    I burn a good bit of calories in work but I don't measure it. Same with the gym. I only measure the calories I eat. If my weight isn't going in the right direction, I adjust the calorie intake. I don't know my true TDEE or whatever other variables and don't care. I know if I log what I estimate is 2600 on MFP, over time I maintain, more or less. If I log a 1600 estimate, the weight melts off, and 3100, I gain. Those numbers should move over time, which is fine, anything else seems way too complicated than is necessary at this point.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    I stick with 1200-1300 no matter what I look at what it says under food eaten total thingy. I got enough issues figuring that one out. I keep track of excersice for the Doctor to know where I’m at on activity level.
    Kowooloo what excersice are you doing? Looks like it’s working wonders I’d love to know