Sticking long term?!

I am counting calories and it's going surprisingly well. I am so afraid I'll lose focus or become over confident and loose my progress. How do you keep focus and motivation to keep moving forward /improving in all aspects of life?

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Every person "thinks" differently. I am still trying to learn and understand NOT to worry what's going to happen next century. MFP helps me a lot - they have done all the calculations, I just have to prepare a simple meal plan as my guide line for the next day and take it day by day, meal by meal. Also making time for some exercise - even if it is just half an hour, walking around the block. It is the summary of all those tiny, daily efforts which will give positive results. Well, at least I hope so - and so far, so good.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Well, I lost my progress by getting lazy, not logging, and letting old habits reassert themselves. I’m hoping it won’t happen this time around. Regular weigh in’s, logging (even if it’s imperfect), and just building those better habits. I’m hoping this time it will stick. I’m too tired to go through the yo-yoing again. 😔
  • blackandtandan
    blackandtandan Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2019
    I just keep moving forward and remember how I use to be.Looking at old pictures of myself help me stay focused.I have become an entirely different person over the past 2 years and never want to go back.Thats my motivation.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I do not rely on motivation. I rely on the habits I have created to continue to carry me forward.

Two of my habits including weighing myself and logging my foods. I don't think about them anymore, I just do them. And doing them reminds me that I'm on a weight loss path and is a daily reminder to eat at a deficit.

I have a wonderful habit of purposeful exercise and strenuous activity several times per week. Doing this has become a habit that I love and crave. It helps me move closer to my fitness goals.

Create the habits that will allow you to eventually achieve your goals.
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    edited May 2019
    Take it day by day and focus on your new habits - not on motivation. Worry about next week, next week. Focus on the present. Logging calories is a habit now. It's part of my routine - just like brushing my teeth. I don't even think about it anymore. I still log everything. I focus on weekly targets instead of daily so if i go out for a burger and beers tonight and i'm "in the red" - no worries, i'll just skip dessert for a few days until i'm balanced. As long as i hit my weekly target, i'm golden.