Coleslaw Casserole with Tuna and Cream of Mushroom Soup

seska422
seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
Ingredients:
Marketside - Tri-Color Coleslaw: One pound bag
Campbell's - Condensed - Healthy Request - Cream of Mushroom Soup: One 10.5 ounce can
StarKist - Albacore White Tuna - In Water - Low Sodium: Two 2.6 ounce pouches
Water: 1/2 cup

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place coleslaw in a casserole pan with 1/2 cup of water and cover.
Bake for 60 minutes.
Remove from oven, stir in the soup, and then return to oven uncovered.
Bake for 40 more minutes or until the coleslaw is tender.
Remove from oven and stir in the tuna.

Nutrition Facts for entire recipe:
Calories: 408.8
Carbs: 50.4 g
Protein: 39.7 g
Fat: 7.7 g
Sodium: 1217.2 mg
Fiber: 13 g

Replies

• seska422
    edited May 2019
    I skimmed this early this morning and kept coming back to it in my mind for some reason. First, is this casserole supposed to have pasta in it? Maybe not. Second, one hour and 40 minutes to essentially cook cabbage?? Really seems off but again I could be wrong. Couldn't this whole thing be done on the stove top in way less time?
    It doesn't have pasta. It's a moderate calorie, high volume meal. It could also be split into 4 or 6 servings for a side dish. You could add pasta but that would, of course, change the Nutrition Facts for the recipe.

You could certainly do it in a pot on the stove but I like the browning that occurs with baking.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Can this be made in a crock pot?
  • seska422
    glassyo wrote: »
    Can this be made in a crock pot?
    Give it a shot. This is just a "toss things together and see how they turn out" recipe that I enjoyed.

If it were me with these exact ingredients, I'd cook the cabbage and soup together and then add the tuna when you're ready to eat since, IMO, this tuna doesn't stand up well to much heat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I don’t understand cooking the coleslaw on water for an hour then adding the soup. Just mix it all together and cook.
  • seska422
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I don’t understand cooking the coleslaw on water for an hour then adding the soup. Just mix it all together and cook.
    I got more brown bits in the final product that way, even with it covered for that first hour. The water on the bottom of the pan helped mitigate the brown bits sticking.

This was just an experiment and I liked the outcome. Someone asked for the recipe in a different MFP thread and so I posted it here.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2019
    Sounds good to me, but, I don’t like cream of mushroom soup or warm tuna (bad childhood memories tuna casserole) so I think I’ll sub with chicken pouch’s and cream of celery soup. I like the browning bits idea. And the sauce. Pork may be good also. Thanks OP.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Bought ingredients yesterday. Gonna make double cabbage and soup, but then half it, put tuna on half, ham in half, just to try it. Thought of chicken soup with chicken and maybe some dill seasoning. Maybe cream of onion soup? Didn’t think of celery soup, but sounds good. Just sounds like a recipe I would use again and again, changing it up according to what I have on hand and what I am hungry for.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    In the oven for the third time tonight. First time, made it just like you did.
    Second time, no soup, used ham.
    Tonight, no soup. Still trying to decide, Turkey hot dogs all cut up, or precooked turkey sausage patties?
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited June 2019
    This is basically the same as the tuna crunch casserole recipe. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tuna-crunch-casserole/