What vitamins and supplements are most important to you?

perezlau
perezlau Posts: 35 Member
What do you take while dieting or just day to day?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Omega 3 and Vit D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Multi vitamin/mineral. Vitamin D as suggested by Dr. because of SAD and potassium because of a deficiency diagnosed by Dr.
  • JohnPaulEightyOne
    JohnPaulEightyOne Posts: 127 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

You might want to rethink this. Steaming in the microwave actually retains more nutrients than any other cooking method.

I didn't know this. Hmmm. Would the multivitamin be a bad thing?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    perezlau wrote: »
    What vitamins and supplements are most important to you?

For most people. You'll only really know that by having your doctor order a blood test - save for the occasional supplements that are no brainers for specific populations, I'm thinking things like folic acid.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

You might want to rethink this. Steaming in the microwave actually retains more nutrients than any other cooking method.

Could just be a general waste of money, as you might be taking something you don't need. You'll pass excess water-soluble vitamins in your urine. The body stores some other micronutrients, like vitamin A and iron, whether it needs them or not, and will continue storing them even at harmful levels, because they are not water-soluble.

Because supplements, including vitamins, are not regulated in the U.S., it's a bit of a crap-shoot as to whether they actually contain the ingredients they claim. Your best bet is probably to go with products whose manufacturers have voluntarily submitted them for third-party testing, such as USP, which will be noted on the label.

Then there are vitamin supplements that actually contain random harmful ingredients, such as lead and arsenic.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited June 2019
    The ones that laboratory blood test results have confirmed I am deficient in. So far, vitamin D3 and a couple of times now calcium and potassium.

Folate if you are a woman even thinking of having kids someday as if you wait until you know you are pregnant to take, it's too late for it to be of any intended benefit for the developing embryo to protect it against spina bifida.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I take vitamin B12 because I am a longtime vegetarian, and only animal products and fortified foods contain B12. People who are not vegetarian or vegan generally don’t need this supplement unless specifically recommended by their doctor.

I don’t take any other supplements because I don’t have any diagnosed deficiencies, and my doctor didn’t recommend any other supplements.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Nothing because I'll not deficient in anything that I am aware of. But will have tests in a few months to double check since I'm mostly plant based.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

If it is a general purpose normal potency multi vitamin/multi mineral supplement it will not be harmful. At the worst, it will do nothing. I take one to make sure I fill in any gaps. Just make sure you get a reputable brand. The problems come when people start taking high potency supplements without finding out if they are needed or not.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Well only what’s needed got Iron on hand,Multivitamin,y D vitamin chocolate chews plus clear drops.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Vit C and D3 and magnesium.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Only iron supplements - due to history of mild anaemia.

Not neccesary to take anything unless you have a specific medical need
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    None unless the doctor says I'm low on something. Even then I adjust what I eat so I get it through diet instead to keep any supplements as a very temporary attempt at a solution.

Iron is my worry usually, but as long as I eat a portion or two of red meat a week, my levels stay good. Plant based iron doesn't work well for me and neither does eating liver. Fortified foods are also a struggle. This is known from years of trying (before I get the "but if you would only do this" comments 🙄)

I've had another deficiency as a child because of our family diet. Changing/adding foods has always been much more successful.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Vit D (lab confirmed deficiency), and calcium, which my OB/GYN strongly encourages.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited June 2019
    True paper pudding I got anemia too plus absorption issues. Health issues from being born a preemie picture stomach condition to insides not formed right.
    My son well he gave up milk cause we took away the bottle so following doctors orders.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I take a multi, magnesium glycinate(for anxiety) turmeric/ bromelain(for mood and joints) I'm rethinking my multi tho cuz it seems I pee most of it out!
  • Mjkozki
    Mjkozki Posts: 45 Member
    I take Calcium Citrate, magnesium and D3; ACV with tumeric, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne and cream of tartar (potassium) in my matcha tea; serrapeptase and choline, and I sprinkle nutritional yeast on vegetables and in bone broth.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me, daily prenatal, vit D and fish oil