I don’t know if I am losing weight?!

So in 2 days I will going to the 5th week of my weight loss journey. So far I don’t know what to think. This is the longest I’ve stayed consistent with all this. I am happy. The thing is I don’t exactly know if I lost weight or not. My scale broke and tbh I dnt want a new one cause it’s not accurate. My prgress pics look the same. I do look bit toned. I don’t think I’ve lost fat. My clothes fit the same. I have defo improved endurance in the gym and I can keep up with HIIT longer than before which obvs is good. I feel a lot more stronger. Atm I dnt see much physical changes.

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    It sounds like you're doing well. What about getting a tape measure to take your stats? Another idea is to take pictures. I wish I'd have done this, but tend to avoid the camera. You'll also be able to tell by how your clothes fit. Keep up the good work!.
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Femilaxx1xo Posts: 66 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    It sounds like you're doing well. What about getting a tape measure to take your stats? Another idea is to take pictures. I wish I'd have done this, but tend to avoid the camera. You'll also be able to tell by how your clothes fit. Keep up the good work!.

Thank you!!!! x I did measure using a tape but i only lost like 1 inch from the waist.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Gym should have a scale hun ask them
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Get a scale. - start the weigh in over.
    Although the scale numbers are not the end all - Be all its nice to see that you lost 8 lbs in one month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit you have to be losing fat weight.

The primary advantage of having a scale is being able to monitor the results of your calorie deficit and make adjustments with some easy math. People lose weight never owning a scale so it is possible and for some people it is even better.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like you're doing great and moving in a good direction.

Especially if you're already within the normal weight range you should neither expect nor desire extreme changes.

One inch off the waist can be quite substantial!
  • Femilaxx1xo
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing great and moving in a good direction.

Especially if you're already within the normal weight range you should neither expect nor desire extreme changes.

One inch off the waist can be quite substantial!

Thank you! x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you are in a calorie deficit you have to be losing fat weight.

The primary advantage of having a scale is being able to monitor the results of your calorie deficit and make adjustments with some easy math. People lose weight never owning a scale so it is possible and for some people it is even better.

I get obsessed with the scale. If I don’t see the weight going down, I get disappointed. So that’s why I think it’s not good for me. Thanks! x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Losing 1" off the waist is a win!

Thanks x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Get a scale. - start the weigh in over.
    Although the scale numbers are not the end all - Be all its nice to see that you lost 8 lbs in one month.

I guess... thanks x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    Gym should have a scale hun ask them

Oh yeah I forgot. Thanks x
  • Femilaxx1xo
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I'm confused why you think a new scale won't be accurate? Do you think that scales aren't accurate ways to measure weight or do you think that it won't match your old scale? There are slight variations between different scales, but if you are looking for accurate information about your weight loss, you can start from now and then track going forward.

There are other measures of success besides simply weighing yourself, but unless you suffer from an ED where weighing yourself could trigger it, I strongly recommend getting a scale and doing consistent weigh ins to track long term progress.

I do think it’s not accurate. I always used to step on it and check my weight and would get obsessed over it. If I don’t see the weight gong down, I get discouraged. Now it doesn’t work so I haven’t stepped on scale for 2 weeks.
  • Kita1818
    Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2019
    The thing to keep in mind with the scale and weight loss journey is that it’s NOT a straight line downwards. One day you might show half or full pound up from the day before, even if you kept to your recommended calorie intake, because of water retention, time of the month, digestive reasons, etc. The important thing to keep your eye out for the TREND to be downwards.

I’m uploading a pic of my loss of 2 pounds over 3 weeks. Hopefully this helps in obsessing less in those little disappointments, and focus more on congratulating yourself on self-discipline and long-term results.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    Just buy a new scale and use the number you get as your new starting weight
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    What if you buy a new scale, and you weigh less than you thought?!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    while no scale is 100% accurate, if kept at the same place and you weigh at the same time with the same clothes then it will give you a good idea of your weight trend over time.

Sure you can't compare to the last scale but it would be starting a new.

Unless there is a mental health reason linked to not having a scale at home - then this is an important factor to take into consideration and my advice may be terribly wrong.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2019
    Be cautious drawing conclusions from the gym scale. It will be difficult to get consistent weigh in conditions. Recommended to weigh first thing in morning after using bathroom and before eating or drinking anything, and before exercise. This will not be possible to duplicate at the gym. Once you eat or drink and start moving around etc your daily water weight begins to fluctuate.