Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've never heard of mayo on a hotdog.

Re ketchup: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-04-1993216204-story.html

I've never heard of mayo either. I always thought ketchup and mustard was the standard hotdog topping everywhere.

Chicago is strongly against ketchup on hotdogs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    aokoye wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

I've never had ketchup on eggs but had a friend who couldn't eat them any other way.

I put sugar free maple syrup on mine. :)
    I've been known to mix liberal amounts of bacon with my syrup :)

When I ate bacon I did as well. I don't know that it's especially uncommon and it makes a ton of sense - sweet and salty.

Like chicken and waffles.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    edited June 2019
    Those cookies wouldn't really be my thing - I don't like pink icing, find it too sickly sweet.
    You get donuts and finger buns with it here too.

Far prefer chocolate.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I
    I've never heard of mayo on a hotdog.

Re ketchup: https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-08-04-1993216204-story.html

I've never heard of mayo either. I always thought ketchup and mustard was the standard hotdog topping everywhere.

Chicago is strongly against ketchup on hotdogs.

I couldn’t believe people put all that stuff on a hot dog when I first saw the Chicago dog at Sonic. So I had to try it. Loved it! Who’da thunk?
  • meximami1
    meximami1 Posts: 15 Member
    Or this

pl0smb3h3o5k.jpg

@lalalacroix
    well thanks for getting me out of my under calorie element of the day ;)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I have a HUGE sweet tooth, but those cookies just look gross.
  • nambiar_aravind
    nambiar_aravind Posts: 1 Member
    lol that helped me break my fast
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm neutral. I love the good stuff, but I like the cheap stuff sometimes too. No shame in liking either, so I have whatever I'm in the mood for. As far as cookies go, the simpler the better, so cookies with icing aren't usually what I reach for (although I have odd cravings from time to time that go against my usual preferences). I'm also not a hot dog (or anything, really) purist. I eat whatever tastes good to me.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,708 Member
    Wonkypedia has this article on regional differences on hot dogs (sits back and waits for folks to say "They got it WRONG!")
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_variations#Illinois

Re the OP - cookies that are too soft and bland are not for me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2019
    They are extremely underwhelming... my son loves them for some unknown reason. I'd rather save my calories for something that tastes good.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    xaxtyx2w62nj.png

That's not even food...

Seriously, the only times I've thrown cookies out after just one bite was after getting a box of those.

Exactly and literally this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    xaxtyx2w62nj.png

I don't really like any commercially baked goods...I enjoy indulging in good homemade baked goods from time to time, but stuff like this isn't worth it and I don't find it to be very tasty. I don't have a huge sweet tooth and am more of a savory kind of person so I tend to be pretty picky when it comes to my desert stuff. I'm pretty picky in general and a self admitted food snob.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I don't buy my cookies like this ... I will either bake homemade or go to a local bakery that does not use preservatives. also. my local farmer's market has an amazing selection of vendors with a variety of baked goods so if I can't make something, I will buy it there. I have tried making macarons many times and I can't quite nail them so I buy them from the farmer's market when i have a hankering.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    ...I'm in the UK. What are those things anyway?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    ...I'm in the UK. What are those things anyway?

They are extremely soft textured, very pasty-cake batter like sugar cookies without any crunch. Few times I've eaten them ages ago, remembered they would literally disintegrate in your mouth. Leaves TONS of crumbs/very fragile cookies
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

Ketchup on eggs is great. But gotta love ketchup on mac and cheese.

Oh for sure! Just had it a couple of nights ago 😁
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Re the food in the OP, ick, not my thing. I'm picky about sweets.

Re "polarizing":
    aokoye wrote: »
    Wait - those are polarizing? I thought you were going to say something like mayonnaise, ketchup on hamburgers (or hotdogs), or candy corn. Unless you're talking about the dialectical differences pertaining to whether or not you call what's in the above picture cookies or biscuits.

Heh, I thought it was going to be bread, corn, or potatoes, although ketchup (esp on hotdogs, which is a travesty) and mayo are good ideas, and now that I'm thinking about it, cilantro, of course. Or soybeans.

I went out to dinner tonight, and my friend and I agreed at great length that marshmallows are one of the worst foods ever, so them too.

THANK YOU! Until I moved from New York to California I never realized that ketchup on hot dogs was even an option :o

You lived in NY and didnt know that people put ketchup on hot dogs???

BTW, Mayo on a hotdog sounds gross...