Your thoughts on my plan

Salutations! Today is Day 2 of going back to the gym and phase one of my diet plan. So far so good but it's only the second day so not much to say yet.

I wanted to see what those more experienced in fitness had to say about my plan as I don't want to do something stupid and hurt myself in any way so here goes nothing let me know what you think!

Diet: Intermittent fasting and calorie restriction, I'll be really focusing on my macros and stuff after next paycheck when I can get more groceries for now I'm just trying to watch my portions and make what healthy decisions I can.

Mon/Wed/Fri: 1500 calorie max
Tues/Thurs: Fasting 100 liquid calories max
Sat/Sun 1200 calories max

Workout: 3x a week gym workout Mon/Wed/Fri, home workouts on weekends, yoga everyday (10 min)

Gym workout:
~10 minute warm up on elliptical

~Barbell bench press 3 sets of 10

~Dumbbell Flyers 3 sets of 10

~Lat pulldown 3 sets of 10

~Machine rows 3 sets 10

~Dumbbell shoulder press 3 sets of 10

~Barbell curl 3 sets of 10

~Triceps pulldown 3 sets of 10

~Weighted squats 3 sets of 15

~Leg extensions 3 sets of 10

~Leg curls 3 sets of 10

~Seated leg press 3 sets of 10

~Torso twist machine 2 sets of 15 per side

~25 second plank

~15 laying down leg raises

~Incline treadmill 4 degrees 3.5mph 20minutes

Home workout: (still working on)

~20 weighted squats

~20 minute walk

~10 minute excercise bike

~20 laps in pool in sets of 4

Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Try it! See how it goes, and adjust as needed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What are you looking to get out of training fasted?

How much experience do you have at training and when was your last session when you were consistent?

If it's been a couple months, uou should be able to get plenty of stimulus from 2-3 sets of the following for a couple weeks.
    Barbell Squats or leg squats per session.
    Barbell bench 2-3 sets twice a week.
    Barbell deadlifts or rack pulls 1-2 sets once a week
    A row or lat pull down once a week.

1-2 20 min LISS cardio (swimming, rowing, or assault bike)

If you have been away from training for only a month or less you might be better off doing a pivot block to bring you back up to par with your fitness.
  • SashieKundo
    SashieKundo Posts: 15 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What are you looking to get out of training fasted?

How much experience do you have at training and when was your last session when you were consistent?

If it's been a couple months, uou should be able to get plenty of stimulus from 2-3 sets of the following for a couple weeks.
    Barbell Squats or leg squats per session.
    Barbell bench 2-3 sets twice a week.
    Barbell deadlifts or rack pulls 1-2 sets once a week
    A row or lat pull down once a week.

1-2 20 min LISS cardio (swimming, rowing, or assault bike)

If you have been away from training for only a month or less you might be better off doing a pivot block to bring you back up to par with your fitness.

To answer your question I'm trying to cut body fat and build muscle while increasing my strength, endurance, and overall health.

Also I've been away for a little over six months and I'm still learning but that seems oftly light for a 3 day a week regimen even for someone like me.
  • SashieKundo
    lorrpb wrote: »
    good for you for getting started! I feel you’re making this a little complicated and dramatic.
    I suggest starting slowly and sensibly, making small sustainable changes along the way.

Put your stats into MFP, set loss to 1 lb per week, eat to calories goal every day, plus eat back half your exercise calories.

Review the lifting programs in the thread stickied at top of this page. Pick a plan that appeals to you preferably 3x week full body. Ok to do yoga on the other days.

Do these things consistently for 4-6 weeks and report back!

Oh I didn't know there where lifting plans here I'll peruse them for sure! Also yeah I think I'll put off the fasting untill I've gone a week or two without eating past my calorie limit.
  • SashieKundo
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness expert so can't speak to that, but those calories only add up to an average of 1,015 cals per day. Unless you are unusually short and already very lean, that is not enough calories.

Your profile says you have 29 lbs to lose. You should be set to lose no more than 1 lb per week, and then logging your workouts and eating back some calories as well. You should be netting an average of at least 1200 cals per day (or at least 8400 cals per week), assuming you aren't elderly, sedentary, and/or quite short. Please take care of yourself :smile:

How short is unusually short? I'm five foot squat lol but I digress I've decided to put off the fasting untill 1. I've gone at least two weeks without eating past my calorie limit. Abd 2, I've actually gotten more healthy food into the house which will be early next week. Also I'm terrible at math so your numbers confuse me, but thanks for the information!
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    I agree with Chieflrg. I feel like you're coming out the gates with fire and passion but honestly that's a lot of volume. Especially for someone who's been out of the gym for six months.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    That seems like a high volume of lifting along with a calorie restriction - I would ease up a little on the volume as you are just starting. Keep the squat, row , press, & add deadlift. I have some questions - what is your height & weight ? age? How much do you figure you need to loose? What are you Macro's protein, carbs & fats?
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    If you're going to do alternate day fasting, you don't restrict calories on your eating days. Eat your TDEE on those days. If you want to fast and restrict calories every day, use an eating window. Anywhere from one to eight hours.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    The calorie restriction and lifting volume are too strict. Don’t you want your changes to be sustainable and long term? Don’t be so hard on yourself or you could be setting yourself up for burnout before you even truly get started. It’s a lifestyle, not a quick fix.
  • SashieKundo
    Ok so I've changed a lot of things since OlI posted this. I'm no longer on intermittent fasting I never even really started that but I was about to when I posted this.

Right now I'm on MFP's recommended calories for loosing 1lb a week which is 1350 per day. I'm 5'1" and weigh 145lbs and ideally I'd like to loose about 30lbs and then gain back some muscle weight

I've decided to try the Starting strength app woman's 5x3 for working out in combination with my cardio. So let's hope that works out!

My only frustration is that there seems to be relatively few plans that allow for working out only 3x a week and I'm on someone else's schedule so I can't go more often.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Stronglifts 5x5 is also 3x per week. That's what I did to start lifting regularly.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Ok so I've changed a lot of things since OlI posted this. I'm no longer on intermittent fasting I never even really started that but I was about to when I posted this.

Right now I'm on MFP's recommended calories for loosing 1lb a week which is 1350 per day. I'm 5'1" and weigh 145lbs and ideally I'd like to loose about 30lbs and then gain back some muscle weight

I've decided to try the Starting strength app woman's 5x3 for working out in combination with my cardio. So let's hope that works out!

My only frustration is that there seems to be relatively few plans that allow for working out only 3x a week and I'm on someone else's schedule so I can't go more often.

Smart move - Like Dancing Moosie said , look at the Strong Lifts Program - or Starting Strength - pick one and follow it as writen for 3-4 months or untill you stop progressing - Eat enough protein & don't forget your veggies- you will be pleasently surprised.
    Right now you don't know enough to design your own program - maybe later when you get some experience & knowlege
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I would advice Barbell Medicine's novice program over any LP program such as Starting Strength or SL5x5. Not that you won't see results with a LP, just templates with auto regulation are just better as a whole.