Eating out

How do you guys eat out while maintaining? I love Indian and Thai food but l never know how many calories l am eating.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    To keep calories in control in Indian and Thai restaurants, I just limit what I eat from dishes that are deep fried or swimming in coconut cream, peanut sauce or ghee. Plenty of nice grilled dishes on both Indian and Thai menus. And I love the Thai salads where the dressings are oil free (plenty of sugar though).

• jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,228 Member
    I try to make the best choices I can and then enjoy it and not worry about ithe calories. I look at maintenance as a "for the rest of my issue. One meal, as long as it does not become a frequent occurrence, is not going to make a real difference in long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    In maintenance, it's not biggie really unless it is a very frequent thing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    online menus are a godsend. It makes it so much easier to plan and be decided when you walk in..there is no impulsive temptation. When it comes to Thai food.. I'd eat fish and salad all day..work out.. then eat what I want. Indian food, I get tandoori chicken.. Raita ..and rice.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I search in the database and go for a medium entry. Like f I see 3 entires at 100, 2 at 200, 3 at 300, and one at 500 I'd go with the 300 entry.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I do the math when eating out and then adjust the rest of my day accordingly. Last outing, last Saturday, was a full rack of BBQ baby back ribs and a naked baked potato that "costed out" at 1,696 calories. I ended by day at 2,616 calories which was only 288 calories over maintenance based on a light exercise day of a one hour walk. I was satisfied with my discipline and the ribs were delicious. I try to each out infrequently but one day week recently I had two days in a row where lunch was eaten out on business. Have a business lunch next week and take the same approach and plan on not being significantly over whatever happens to be the maintenance calc for the day.

This precision approach works for me and I don't feel deprived one bit. But, I may add, alcohol is not in my equation at this chapter of my life so I don't have those calories or any other liquid calories to make it more challenging.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Just got back from a week out of town where every evening meal was in a restaurant. My approach was to first enjoy the company and the food and secondly to make the best choices possible given the menu. And by "best," I mean "yummy & not fried." Except for that last night fish fry, which was exceptional. I had one cocktail on two of the seven nights out, and didn't bother with dessert.

Meals other than dinner out tended to be what I eat at home during the day - fresh fruit and Greek yogurt, and the occasional cookie. I weighed less than half a pound more when I got home. It can be done.
  • sgriska
    sgriska Posts: 109 Member
    I usually try to opt for a lighter offering, but if there's something on the menu that I'm really dying to have and it's likely high calorie, I just eat and enjoy it, try to log it as well as I can (if possible, if not, I'm not sweating it) and then just go back to the plan the next day. If I start to see my weight creeping up, I know how to deal with that and I do it.

My attitude is, if I'm doing the right thing 95% of the time, the other 5% can be dealt with fairly painlessly. It's the big picture that's important, not every last meal or even day's worth of meals.
  • shezian
    shezian Posts: 9 Member
    Thx guys for all the advice. Will keep this in mind. Great to see his others are doing it.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I eat out frequently and it's never really an issue. After 4.5 years of maintenance, I pretty much know what to do, which includes checking menus online and even photos in Yelp, whenever possible. If it's not possible, and I can't plan ahead, I do the best that I can. I am so into healthy food after all these years (7 total with MFP) that it's easy to make choices. When I am at a restaurant where there is literally nothing that I would want to eat, I make do with a Caesar salad (no croutons, dressing on the side) and grilled salmon. If that isn't possible, I make do with a side salad. It's all about the company for me, and not ever really about the food. Nothing really tempts me at this stage of the game but it something calls my name, I have it. It's usually something that I would never get at home or at another restaurant, so I enjoy and don't worry about it. As others have said on here, one meal, large calories, is not going to ruin everything. I just get back to my regular routine right after. The only thing that is different is when we are out of town for 4 months every winter. We stay in a town that has several restaurants that I love, and I eat what I want, within reason. But I am still pretty much careful about breakfast and the one other meal that day. If I gain a few pounds while gone, I rein it right back in when home.
  • shezian
    shezian Posts: 9 Member
    When l was younger l used to eat whatever l wanted on weekend and ate less during the week and l always maintained. But now that lm approaching 50, l have to really watch how much lm eating every single day. I’m fine when l eat my own home cooked meals, but once l start eating out l always gain weight and lm sick of being in a diet to lose those gained kilos. I have to be so strict now. One day I’m just going to stop caring so much.
  • shoebarb
    shoebarb Posts: 9 Member
    I find the portions are too big. I tend to eat half and bring the rest home for someone in my family.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I eat out for lunch all the time. My husband and I split all meals almost always. If I'm eating alone I bring half home or order an appetizer.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    I have found that I have a limit. If I eat more than about 1500 calories in one sitting (and really, it's more like 1400) I just don't feel well. I can basically feel when I am approaching my limit. So, I bank calories throughout the week (200-300 per day) and then when I eat out on Friday (when I don't have time to exercise due to a job change that requires more hours in the office), I try not to go over what I've banked by using estimates from the database, but I also know that it's impossible for me to get too far off course because I start to feel very bloated and unwell.

On Saturday, if I have lunch out, it is usually at a chain like Panera or Jason's Deli or Zoe's Kitchen or some place similar that has calories posted online or in the store and those estimates work all right for me.