Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The sugar problem

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    lolno
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    phred_52 wrote: »
    I consume around 160 to 195g of granulated sugar for coffee daily...and have for years. 1st time around, 3yrs ago, I lost 40-45lbs...just recently restarted gym after stopping, and have now lost 10-12...so.....

:o that's either a lot of coffee, a lot of sugar in your coffee, or both. Impressive!
    Wow is right, more like omg wow :) . i've cut back some, on average I drink 5 12oz cups, using 2.5 tbsp. Gotta have it sweet (grins)

Never did a calculation on sugar intake, but what I've figured/converted...tbsp (2.5 cup) = 12.5 tbsp x 30 days = 450 tbsp, which worked out to 12.4 lbs. That seems extremely wrong..hmmm..ouch. I know I never purchase 3 4lb bags...then again I'm sorta brain dead..lol.

From what I've found, 5lbs of sugar = 181.45 tbsp. Shock me :) I have had to miss something with this (thinks)
    Oh well...if such excess would ever show in a complete blood workup, then all reading were normal.

Thanks for making Me look at this...Fred

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Yeah okay
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    OooohToast wrote: »
    Okaaaaaay - here we go !

1. Both the WHO and the NHS recommend limiting ADDED sugar in anyones diet. From the NHS, the limit recommended is 30g per day for everyone over the age of 11 without any other criteria.That excludes fruit and veg but includes fruit juices.
    2. Sugar has limited / if any nutritional value - this does not detract from the fact that its yummy.
    3. T2 diabetes is considered the most signficant health crisis in the UK currently and it doesnt turn up overnight. Yes it as a lot to do with fat, internally and externally but it doesnt happen in a sugarless void. Sugar (note not carbs) consumption has a correlation to the development of T2 diabetes.
    4. Dentists would love us all to eat less - the first person to notice when I dropped my added sugar consumption down was my dentist (appreciate us Brits have a bad rep on the teeth front in general !).

I do think we have quite the regional difference when it comes to sugar with the US side of the board seeing it as less of an issue. Thats not a criticism or a judgement and I hope we can respect our differences on this.

I think it would have been helpful for the OP to distinguish between added sugar and all sugar, since it is not clear at all they were referring only to added sugar in the original post.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on all your points from a health and nutrition perspective (and I'm on the US side!), but your post is a far more nuanced and reasonable position than OP's "calories don't matter if you're getting more than 30+ grams of sugar". Yes, calories do matter when it comes to weight loss, and limiting added sugar does matter when it comes to a nutritious and healthy diet. You can certainly lose weight on a Twinkie and junk food diet by limiting calories and not caring what the sugar is....but I don't think anyone would argue that is nutritious or healthy. Words matter. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2019
    Lenala13 wrote: »
    OooohToast wrote: »
    Okaaaaaay - here we go !

1. Both the WHO and the NHS recommend limiting ADDED sugar in anyones diet. From the NHS, the limit recommended is 30g per day for everyone over the age of 11 without any other criteria.That excludes fruit and veg but includes fruit juices.
    2. Sugar has limited / if any nutritional value - this does not detract from the fact that its yummy.
    3. T2 diabetes is considered the most signficant health crisis in the UK currently and it doesnt turn up overnight. Yes it as a lot to do with fat, internally and externally but it doesnt happen in a sugarless void. Sugar (note not carbs) consumption has a correlation to the development of T2 diabetes.
    4. Dentists would love us all to eat less - the first person to notice when I dropped my added sugar consumption down was my dentist (appreciate us Brits have a bad rep on the teeth front in general !).

I do think we have quite the regional difference when it comes to sugar with the US side of the board seeing it as less of an issue. Thats not a criticism or a judgement and I hope we can respect our differences on this.

I think it would have been helpful for the OP to distinguish between added sugar and all sugar, since it is not clear at all they were referring only to added sugar in the original post.

I don't think OP was at all limiting the post to added sugar, and the later poster arguing in favor of OP's post was talking about all sugar and expanded it to carbs. [Edit: oops, I guess that was the other identical thread OP started. Can't blame me for getting confused.]

Many of us who responded specifically discussed eating veg and fruit, of course, as one reason the advice was bad, so I don't understand how one could read the discussion as us all saying "added sugar is great in any numbers." People did, of course, disagree with specific points made by OP, so if the newer poster thinks those are incorrect, it would be helpful to address specific incorrect points and not to accuse us (all of us here in the US who responded, and maybe the Canadians too, don't know about the UK responders) of saying things we did not.
  • stinkyfungus
    stinkyfungus Posts: 11 Member
    Tandyman23 wrote: »
    Make sure to closely monitor sugar intake even if you are watching calorie intake. The effect sugar has on insulin level and fat isnt correlated with the amount of calories you are consuming. I personally try not to exceed 10g of sugar a day if that. Counting calories means absolutely nothing if you are still consuming 30g+ of sugar a day.

Tell that to the 108 lbs I lost.

And the 84 pounds I’ve lost thus far. (25 to go)

46 grams of sugar every morning in the form of one can of rockstar organic energy.

An average over all deficit of 2k cal a day due to exercise let’s you do all sorts of supposedly “bad” things... and still melt fat like an ice cube under a hot faucet.