• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My husband built me a new trellis, it’s huge lolbdzxl4o3k745.jpeg
    I really need to put some mulch down, weeds are going crazy

Awesome trellises!

I use straw to mulch in the garden. Mom uses leaves.

Thank you! I used leaves last year but didn't do a very good job because they all blew away lol. I guess I should mulch them up first. I think I'll probably use grass clippings because my leaves are all stuffed into my compost with rotting food on top of them and I'm not going there.

I have a little surprise tomato plant that sprouted in my garden a little too close to the zucchini... For some reason I'm really excited about him, I think I'm going to try and move him to a safer location.

I use fine dark hardwood mulch in my "fancy" garden areas (the perennial beds closer to the street or that we are close to daily) but I primarily use grass on my vegetable beds, unless I am organized enough to leave a bale or two of straw out over the winter so the wetness kills any seeds that might sprout. The grass works really well and it's free; I just add it an inch at a time and build up layers over the summer. But I really prefer the rotted straw as it's so light and does a wonderful job of holding down weeds and preserving moisture, plus it looks cute. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Awesome trellises!

Thank you! I used leaves last year but didn't do a very good job because they all blew away lol. I guess I should mulch them up first. I think I'll probably use grass clippings because my leaves are all stuffed into my compost with rotting food on top of them and I'm not going there.

I have a little surprise tomato plant that sprouted in my garden a little too close to the zucchini... For some reason I'm really excited about him, I think I'm going to try and move him to a safer location.

I use fine dark hardwood mulch in my "fancy" garden areas (the perennial beds closer to the street or that we are close to daily) but I primarily use grass on my vegetable beds, unless I am organized enough to leave a bale or two of straw out over the winter so the wetness kills any seeds that might sprout. The grass works really well and it's free; I just add it an inch at a time and build up layers over the summer. But I really prefer the rotted straw as it's so light and does a wonderful job of holding down weeds and preserving moisture, plus it looks cute. :)

That was a valuable tip - regular hay does indeed contain seeds that will sprout. I buy straw, which is a little more expensive, but is supposed to not have sproutable seeds. I do get a few, but it is manageable.
  • kshama2001
    carakirkey wrote: »
    Sharing pics of my community garden plot from May. The spinach overwintered from a fall planting and is HUGE! 2 leaves and I have a salad.
    jgyw4rhfhre8.jpg

I have spinach envy! First my garden center didn't have any seedlings, and then I bought Swiss chard by mistake. I was able to get rid of that at a plant swap though, but never managed to plant any spinach, which has to be started early here in Massachusetts as it will bolt once it gets hot.

I do have spinach seeds - will start them this summer.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    I plant spinach early spring, and in the fall for 2 crops. It gets hot here too so the greens will start bolting in the summer. Spinach is one of my favorite things to grow, and I eat it nearly everyday!

• carakirkey
    Wow, what a gorgeous plot, @carakirkey! How big is your plot, and how is your community garden organized? It looks like it's a pretty big operation.
    @French_Peasant THANKS! my plot is I think 20ft by 30ft? Big, and large enough to grow everything I could hope to. I also assist with the adjacent plot for my kids Elementary school. This garden has 37 plots and there is always a wait list, so quite popular. There are dozens of community gardens around the city, organized under a community garden association with support from the city. And then each neighborhood garden has a volunteer coordinator. Its been a great experience for me to have a community garden plot. Its ready to go with quality soil and I even inherited some chives and chinese garlic chives from the previous gardeners. It gets me out walking daily to go water or harvest the plot, and involved with my community and the school.

• kshama2001
    I plant spinach early spring, and in the fall for 2 crops. It gets hot here too so the greens will start bolting in the summer. Spinach is one of my favorite things to grow, and I eat it nearly everyday!

@carakirkey what gardening zone are you in and when do you plant in spring and fall? And are you talking planting seeds or seedlings?
  • carakirkey
    @kshama2001 Zone 7. Okanagan BC, so quite desert like and gets hot (30-35C) in the summer. Winters we get snow, but usually average winter temp of -5C. We had a really mild winter recently, so the spinach was able to over winter from the fall crop. I plant seeds directly.
  • kshama2001
    @kshama2001 Zone 7. Okanagan BC, so quite desert like and gets hot (30-35C) in the summer. Winters we get snow, but usually average winter temp of -5C. We had a really mild winter recently, so the spinach was able to over winter from the fall crop. I plant seeds directly.

I was in Kamloops once for business - beautiful country and very nice people! If it weren't for all my family here, that's where I'd move.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Just caught up on this thread. I spent this morning weeding the community bed that happens to be in front of my house (it's really a city-owned buffer in front of the curb that originally had grass in it but was replanted). Because of the location I feel bad if it looks unkempt.

I should take photos of my backyard raised bed, although it turned out different than expected (I paid someone to build and fill it, and he asked if I wanted it to be rabbit-proofed, which I did, but didn't realize would mean making it raised a lot higher (I had expected mesh around it, not that it would be more raised, but I'm okay with it as is).

My CSA is delayed this year because it's been so wet.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    @kshama2001 your peonies and irises are gorgeous! @lemurcat2 I have been waiting VERY patiently to see pics of your new raised bed, and hear how it's going! If the bed's too tall, it sounds like a good opportunity to plant some ornamentals that will cascade down the sides--black or chartreuse sweet potato vine really pops with some orange marigolds, although of course it takes away from veg planting space.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Sorted out all my strawberry runners etc yesterday. Took a few hours but planted out lots into gaps and the empty row and the rest into pots. Gained about 50 plants, quite a few extras in punnets/pots. We got our mulch delivered to cover us through winter spring, quite daunting, many wheelbarrow loads but it will mean all our trees will have mulch. Plus burning calories with doing mulching is great. gjzij3gg29p0.jpg
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member

Awesome trellises!

That was a valuable tip - regular hay does indeed contain seeds that will sprout. I buy straw, which is a little more expensive, but is supposed to not have sproutable seeds. I do get a few, but it is manageable.

I used grass clippings in one of my beds, and my husband seems to think that's a terrible idea because I'll just be planting grass.... I guess we will see.
  • kshama2001

Awesome trellises!

I used grass clippings in one of my beds, and my husband seems to think that's a terrible idea because I'll just be planting grass.... I guess we will see.

Tell him he needs to mow before the grass goes to seed and problem solved :lol:
  • hesn92

Awesome trellises!

Tell him he needs to mow before the grass goes to seed and problem solved :lol:

unfortunately it's my son that mows the lawn lol. It was a little long but it didn't look like it had seeds yet. Hopefully it doesn't start growing grass so he can't say I told you so! He wanted me to use leaves but I had already dumped rotting food on top of the leaves in the compost so I wasn't going to use that
  • kshama2001
    @kshama2001 your peonies and irises are gorgeous! @lemurcat2 I have been waiting VERY patiently to see pics of your new raised bed, and hear how it's going! If the bed's too tall, it sounds like a good opportunity to plant some ornamentals that will cascade down the sides--black or chartreuse sweet potato vine really pops with some orange marigolds, although of course it takes away from veg planting space.

I've always admired ornamental sweet potato vine in displays at garden centers but never had the right location for it.

@lemurcat2 the vine of edible sweet potatoes is not as ornamental, but still nice, and you get sweet potatoes :smiley:

Marigolds are a great companion plant and they look pretty too. I have an 8 pack scattered throughout my garden.
  • meganpettigrew86

Awesome trellises!

I used to always use grass clippings, they work very well. They suppress weeds, feed soil, keep soil warmer... Only issue is they break down quickly and eventually you will need to bring the nitrogen balance back if you use them several seasons in a row. But using compost on your soil in addition to clippings usually fixes nitrogen issue. I still use grass clippings in veg patch but everywhere else we invested in arbour mulch as it lasts longer.
  • hesn92
    I always do really well with cherry tomatoes but all my bigger tomato plants don't ever work out that well. This year I have two roma tomato plants and they are both crap. One of them I think the main stem broke off in a storm. I was hoping it would just grow another stem and keep on going but it hasn't. It's just.. not growing at all anymore. The other plant is doing better but still not that great. My cherry tomato plants are all really tall and growing really nicely, I even got my very first tomato off one of them. I'm not very good at gardening lol. I also lost a couple of my sunflower plants too, but I still have 3 or 4 and they've gotten pretty tall. I'm excited about those.
  • meganpettigrew86
    I always do really well with cherry tomatoes but all my bigger tomato plants don't ever work out that well. This year I have two roma tomato plants and they are both crap. One of them I think the main stem broke off in a storm. I was hoping it would just grow another stem and keep on going but it hasn't. It's just.. not growing at all anymore. The other plant is doing better but still not that great. My cherry tomato plants are all really tall and growing really nicely, I even got my very first tomato off one of them. I'm not very good at gardening lol. I also lost a couple of my sunflower plants too, but I still have 3 or 4 and they've gotten pretty tall. I'm excited about those.

This is why I buy a few grafted ones as well as seed my own. Sometimes the season is great and they grow well, other seasons are rubbish and only the grafted do well. The season just past we had a cold and very wet late spring. This meant the veg garden was delayed in growth and some things just didn't germinate in time (corn, watermelon, etc). Where I live we need the warm late spring to get corn, watermelon, cucubits... Etc.
  • hesn92
    edited June 2019

This is why I buy a few grafted ones as well as seed my own. Sometimes the season is great and they grow well, other seasons are rubbish and only the grafted do well. The season just past we had a cold and very wet late spring. This meant the veg garden was delayed in growth and some things just didn't germinate in time (corn, watermelon, etc). Where I live we need the warm late spring to get corn, watermelon, cucubits... Etc.

I've had really weird weather so far. It is usually sunny and hot by this time of the year, but we've had a lot of overcast/rainy days and the temps are not very high