Leftover bagna cauda?

acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,601 Member
It's not exactly diet food but we have leftover bagna cauda from a weekend dinner party. I've seen some recipes that make a steak sauce with leftovers with a squeeze of lemon. I am also inclined to use a little for sauteeing spinach or other leafy greens.

Any other ideas for leftover bagna cauda?

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I like the steak sauce idea since the bagna cauda is already so strong and pungent that it can be translated into a board sauce pretty easily. Maybe add some minced shallot, acid, fresh herbs of your choosing, and a hit of dijon mustard. Put it on a chopping board before carving meat or placing hot meat on it to rest and let it mingle with the meat juices.

You could also use it to dress pasta - convert it into something like puttanesca. Or salad - whisk in some egg yolks and treat it similar to an amped-up caesar dressing.
  • acpgee
    Puttanesca is a good idea. I have some dry packed sun dried tomatoes lying around that need using up too.

The salad dressing idea is cool too but would need to be a warm vinaigrette because my bagna cauda contains butter. Might be a nice warm dressing for green beans and new potatoes or a nicoise.
  • acpgee
    bg8pg6dd5h9g.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Nicoise.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    That looks great. I can imagine the flavors were killer.
  • acpgee
    The nicoise was pretty tasty.

There were still a couple more tablespoons left so I made the world's ugliest pasta sauce for tonight. Bagna cauda is purplish brown. Dry packed sun dried tomatoes almost black. Toasted pumpkin seeds dark green. Blitzed together in the food processor it looks awful, but tastes pretty good. Maybe with a sprinkle or parmesan and some halved cherry tomatoes it won't look too unappealing.
  • acpgee
    9m9pklnf5xfy.jpeg
    Ugly but tasty puttanesca inspired sauce made from the last of the bagna cauda.