Words that make you cringe

Replies

• iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    "doggo"

it's not cute. its something a five year old would say. just called it a puppy if you gotta.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    I think I need to get out more because some of these words I've never heard before
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    "doggo"

it's not cute. its something a five year old would say. just called it a puppy if you gotta.

I agree! I don't mind so much mind people using this online in memes, just joking around, but if it starts trickling into their actual spoken vocabulary that's a little "off" to me.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Tits. It has become more commonly used even for kids. Makes me cringe. Hearing kids use swear words still does this. Even though I chose like a sailor.
  • DaleTurner
    DaleTurner Posts: 2 Member
    When people use the word "jive" when they mean to use the word "jibe," as in "those two things do not jibe," meaning they do not add up or reconcile. Unless of course, you're criticizing their ability to swing or to dance or to speak to someone in an exaggerated, teasing, or misleading way, in which case the word "jive" would be correct.
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    When I hear adults greeting each other using the "N" word. It just sounds ignorant and juvenile.

Or grown women "affectionately" calling their "friends" b1tches, wh0res, sk@nk...
    You may call me by my first name, my professional title (I worked hard for that degree...Dr, professor, etc), Ms/Mz.____
    OR better yet, don't call me at all!
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    the car is a Jaguar,
    not a Jagwire :s
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    the car is a Jaguar,
    not a Jagwire :s

Jag-U-wire :D
  • JeBeBu
    Gucci...as in that girl is Gucci! It sounds ridiculous! I visibly cringe!
  • Tankiscool
    JeBeBu wrote: »

That's some Gucci stuff Maynard.
  • JeBeBu
    Tankiscool wrote: »

That's some Gucci stuff Maynard.

You are cracking me up! Your sense of humor is straight up Gucci!
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member

I hate when people use the word fire in the same manner. "That song is fire."
  • Tankiscool
    jenready wrote: »

Woah woah woah. That I have not heard. Hot? yes. Fire? Well that is just ridiculous.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    jenready wrote: »

Woah woah woah. That I have not heard. Hot? yes. Fire? Well that is just ridiculous.

You're lucky that you haven't. I think I've heard it at least five times today at work alone about clothes, nails and other crap on Instagram.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2019
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    When I hear adults greeting each other using the "N" word. It just sounds ignorant and juvenile.

Or grown women "affectionately" calling their "friends" b1tches, wh0res, sk@nk...
    You may call me by my first name, my professional title (I worked hard for that degree...Dr, professor, etc), Ms/Mz.____
    OR better yet, don't call me at all!

Yes! How have you not grown out of this crap yet?
  • JeBeBu
    Or the use of "just" when meaning "gist". I can't give you the just of the conversation, but am happy to give you the gist!
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    That C word that rhymes with bunt..

It is acceptable and sometimes used as a term of endearment.
    In Australia, that word has many connotations – most of which are actually positive. 

No no no.. hate that word used good or bad.

As I’m sure you know, it’s a very very dirty word in the US.

Yeah..I know.. it can be very bad here too.. it depends on the situation.. either way, hate that word.

I read a book once called Misogyny: The world’s oldest prejudice. It talked about how that word (amongst other things),was turned into something hateful and derogatory..
    I can’t say I’m a fan of the word, BUT, if you ever hear me utter it.. you’ll know I’m taking no prisoners.🙂

This word is often (over)used in the UK, (IMO)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

In Australia, that word has many connotations – most of which are actually positive. 

Yeah..I know.. it can be very bad here too.. it depends on the situation.. either way, hate that word.

I read a book once called Misogyny: The world’s oldest prejudice. It talked about how that word (amongst other things),was turned into something hateful and derogatory..
    I can’t say I’m a fan of the word, BUT, if you ever hear me utter it.. you’ll know I’m taking no prisoners.🙂

Overused here too.. often young fellas/ mates.. laughing, joking.. calling each other.." ya silly **** " or something similar.
    I have used it only when I needed the very worst word I could think of.. rare though..

I can't imagine you sweet Boo saying it 😁
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member

Overused here too.. often young fellas/ mates.. laughing, joking.. calling each other.." ya silly **** " or something similar.
    I have used it only when I needed the very worst word I could think of.. rare though..

I can't imagine you sweet Boo saying it 😁

Well, we’re probably distantly related cousins, after all...🤣🤣🤣🤣

It’s rare..admittedly..but everyone’s tolerance and patience has limits.😇😙