Loose skin/flabby skin

I've lost weight..lift do lots of cardio and still have difficulty especially my lower abdomen...any suggestions?

Replies

• Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    You are definitely inspiring...
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I have also read that sometimes - and this sucks and is not even always successful - if after a few months the skin still sags a lot, one can gain weight back, and then lose it more slowly so it gives the skin longer to slowly contract as you lose weight.

I don't know how successful that is, but might be worth exploring in the worst case.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have also read that sometimes - and this sucks and is not even always successful - if after a few months the skin still sags a lot, one can gain weight back, and then lose it more slowly so it gives the skin longer to slowly contract as you lose weight.

I don't know how successful that is, but might be worth exploring in the worst case.

I gained about 30lb back when I joined MFP and had substantial loose skin after gaining over 80lb when I was pregnant then losing it previously. I lost the 30 that I had gained back much more slowly while using a recommended lotion and have seen improvement. I will always have a little skin on my lower tummy though unless I decide to get surgery.
  • Sm3018
    Sm3018 Posts: 55 Member
    Read about Autophagy and fasting. I've been using this approach along with a low carb diet and have not experienced any loose skin. Still have 30lbs to go but so far so good. When I started my journey, I was very concerned about loose skin and read an article by Dr. Jason Fung where he stated his patients have not had problems with loose skin. His approach is working for me.

May I ask how old are you? I'm 36 I've been dealing with weight since I was about 8 and really started going back and forth with loosing and gaining since I was 18. I also have 2 kids so with the loosing and gaining constantly that's where my loose skin comes from.
  • Karlijunruh
    Karlijunruh Posts: 8 Member
    Hi guys,
    I'm in a bit of a pinch too... And have been struggling.

When I started 3+ years ago I was a whopping 200 pounds... Keep in mind I am 5,2 :/ anyways fast forward and I dropped sizes I'm now at a healthy 146 pounds.

* I carry my weight in my stomach,hips and thighs *

I can't for the life of me loose my stomach... It actually hangs over, almost like a fold. I cannot determine if this is loose skin or still fat or maybe even a combination of the two. It is deteriorating my mental health as I feel lost and ugly and no matter what I try to do it won't go away....

I need you help... Is it loose skin?if not, Is there a way to get rid of it... Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated :(

received_2854390574643701.jpeg[IMG][/img]
  • Karlijunruh
    Karlijunruh Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you 😊 I have been honestly going crazy about this ...bits been a year where I haven't seen my tummy move an inch and it has really taken a toll on me and my self esteem, I'm not at my goal weight yet but not seeing any inches or centermiters off my tummy in the past year of stilll going hard has been the most discouraging
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Thank you 😊 I have been honestly going crazy about this ...bits been a year where I haven't seen my tummy move an inch and it has really taken a toll on me and my self esteem, I'm not at my goal weight yet but not seeing any inches or centermiters off my tummy in the past year of stilll going hard has been the most discouraging

That's the most frustrating part, you can't spot reduce. Even when I am at my healthiest weight I still have a tummy.
    Congrats on your weight loss. That's an awesome accomplishment.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    As some have pointed out, loose skin can take 2 years or more to tighten up as much as it is going to. Patience is important in this. Unless you have so much loose skin that it is causing heath issues, that is, as long as it is only a matter of looks, give it time keep doing what you are doing.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    All this information has helped encourage me to go slowly since to me it does make sense that the skin is most likely to follow the slow weight loss, if you know what I mean--stomach goes right out, but if it goes back in slowly it seems most likely to all shrink together in healthy ways, as ooposed to there suddenly being an empty pocket that used to be full of fat. Exercise in the sense of me dancing around a lot in front of the computer every day also makes me feel like the body is all together and not fat here, loose there etc. That's my idea anyhow. Good luck to all and best wishes--
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member

You've done great. I hope you can stay inspired and not focus so much on the parts you don't like. It may sound silly, but I figured out that when I used to be unhappy with this or that part--fat this, old that, saggy that--it made me feel and look worse and like the parts weren't cooperating with each other, and when I just plain accepted and loved all of me (because I have had some SEVERE health stuff in the past and have done okay despite that), it made everything sort of work together better. Maybe being good to yourself and being proud of every bit of your body that has done so well in losing weight and still being healthy will help it all feel proud of itself, if you know what I mean, and maybe keep looking better and better. Good luck with it, and best wishes--