Male Calories Capped at 1,500?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I'm not sure why that would be woo worthy spadesheart.

But does seem very low amount for someone of your height (and male?) and you should be eating back some excercise calories.

In response to Maxematics, 1500 calories is not silly low for many women - I lost on 1460 (net) and didnt need to gnaw my arm off :o

• Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member

But does seem very low amount for someone of your height (and male?) and you should be eating back some excercise calories.

In response to Maxematics, 1500 calories is not silly low for many women - I lost on 1460 (net) and didnt need to gnaw my arm off :o

I got woo'd 13 times earlier in this thread for simply saying I thought the limit was 1200 for men, not endorsing it, just saying I thought it was. People have oddly emotional responses here sometimes haha
  • paperpudding
    Meh, I get woo'ed for all sorts of innocuous comments - ranging from I lost weight without going low carb (in a thread which asked that very question, and once for simply saying I do not like cucumber, in a thread about what vegetables we like or some such

In neither case was I endorsing or disputing carb levels or cucumbers for anyone else

best to ignore the occasional woo B) - although reading back your post did seem to be suggesting people could log the day as 12oo as a man - which yes, they could, but you came across, perhaps unintentionally, as suggesting doing so.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Meh, I get woo'ed for all sorts of innocuous comments - ranging from I lost weight without going low carb (in a thread which asked that very question, and once for simply saying I do not like cucumber, in a thread about what vegetables we like or some such

In neither case was I endorsing or disputing carb levels or cucumbers for anyone else

best to ignore the occasional woo B) - although reading back your post did seem to be suggesting people could log the day as 12oo as a man - which yes, they could, but you came across, perhaps unintentionally, as suggesting doing so.

A couple woo's is disagreement, 10+ means you struck a nerve of some sort I think. People get really protective of their thought patterns and make irrational judgements. I don't take it personally, I just came back to this thread to see if there were any responses and was surprised that it was so heavily disliked.

Naa, I just thought that was the limit as you are allowed to log that low as a man haha. I have before, though I pretty much can't at all now as my protein goal is too high for it to be possible.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member

I said 1500 calories was pretty low for the OP who is a 6'3" man, not a woman; we seem to agree on that front based on your own response to the OP. I just happen to be a woman that 1500 calories is too low for and am aware that not one size fits all. Also, you're talking about 1460 net, not gross. The OP is eating 1500 calories plus half of his exercise calories which, depending on their CI accuracy, can be far less than 1500 net.
  • maliciouspenguin
    maliciouspenguin Posts: 36 Member
    At your weight, you probably aren’t trying to lose much more weight. MFP suggests you slow down your weight loss as you get closer to goal. This can help you start learning maintenance while still losing. Are you updating your weight and goal weight on MFP? My guess is no, and that if you do, without telling it that you want to lose 2 lbs/week just to see what happens, your daily calorie goal may actually go up.

I have been doing that throughout.
  • maliciouspenguin
    So I've progressively lost weight, and my calorie 'allowance' hasn't changed from 1,500 for a while; I checked another calculator and it said it should be 1,350 for me - is there a cap on male allowance?

So, how much weight have you lost over what period of time eating only 1500, which seems crazy low for a 6'3" man?

Since really going for it, I've lost 1.5 stone so far this year.

• maliciouspenguin
    Maxematics wrote: »
    So I've progressively lost weight, and my calorie 'allowance' hasn't changed from 1,500 for a while; I checked another calculator and it said it should be 1,350 for me - is there a cap on male allowance?

So, how much weight have you lost over what period of time eating only 1500, which seems crazy low for a 6'3" man?

Agreed; something doesn't add up. I'm a woman, a foot shorter, almost 100 pounds lighter and I'd gnaw my arm off if I ate 1500 calories per day.

I find it remarkably straightforward to eat under 1,800 a day, which is what I probably average..!
  • paperpudding

I said 1500 calories was pretty low for the OP who is a 6'3" man, not a woman; we seem to agree on that front based on your own response to the OP. I just happen to be a woman that 1500 calories is too low for and am aware that not one size fits all. Also, you're talking about 1460 net, not gross. The OP is eating 1500 calories plus half of his exercise calories which, depending on their CI accuracy, can be far less than 1500 net.

Yes I agree 1500 is likely too low for OP.

My own 1460, although a net number, didn't equate to much more than that as I didn't really do very much additional excercise.

Yes I am aware my number isnt everyone's number and may well not be yours - I still think the idea that it is a 'gnaw your arm off' number for many women is wrong.
    Wasnt for me anyway.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Assuming January 1st (160 days) you are losing about 1 pound a week. It is actually quite likely you are eating more than you think which in this case is a good thing.

Also QFT. OP, unless you have a medical condition that has severely restricted your metabolism, you are most likely eating more calories than you think.

Considering you are just about 10 lbs outside of the healthy weight range for your height, 1 lb per week is kind of perfect, so I would suggest continuing to eat at the level you are. If you would like to know more accurately how many calories you are really eating, check out these posts:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest
  • paperpudding

Yes I agree 1500 is likely too low for OP.

My own 1460, although a net number, didn't equate to much more than that as I didn't really do very much additional excercise.

Yes I am aware my number isnt everyone's number and may well not be yours - I still think the idea that it is a 'gnaw your arm off' number for many women is wrong.
    Wasnt for me anyway.

I think we actually agree on everything except my initial post didn't translate the way it was intended to. I didn't mean that to be read as "women with my stats would gnaw their arm off eating x calories"; I'm well aware that I'm more active than most people with my stats. I apologize if it came off otherwise. I meant that I personally would gnaw my arm off at that amount, so it seemed odd to me that someone a foot taller and almost 100 pounds more could sustain that amount for so long with ease and have a pretty low TDEE on top of it; it didn't add up to me. Judging from the past few posts, it seems like that actually may be the case and OP's logging is off.

Yes we are in agreement then and yes I think your post just came across slightly different than intended.

All good. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

Assuming January 1st (160 days) you are losing about 1 pound a week. It is actually quite likely you are eating more than you think which in this case is a good thing.

Hey, you stole what I was going to say! :smile:

@maliciouspenguin, are you using a scale to weigh your food, and checking the database entries you use for accuracy?

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

@maliciouspenguin, are you using a scale to weigh your food, and checking the database entries you use for accuracy?

I know. I am devious that way. :naughty:
  • maliciouspenguin

Yeah - also to add to my weight loss, it's only really kicked on the last two months where I've lost around stone in 2 months. I'm probably losing at 1-1.5lbs most weeks, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I openly go over my allowance at times, and with eating back part of my exercise calories I know there's no chance of it being 100% accurate, but I've dropped from 231 to 207lbs so far :smile:

I'd also like to add... I didn't mean to cause any controversy on the topic! I didn't realise asking about eating sub 1,500 (net) calories per day would generate so much (healthy!) debate.

I really appreciate all your replies/insights/links, I've read and digested (pun intended) them all.