When its raining out

When it's raining out, what exercises do you do indoors? anyone?

Replies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2019
    Not sure how intense of exercise you are looking for - I am a walker, not a jogger/runner myself so may be different than what you are looking for: I usually just walk somewhere indoors - my office is very large so I walk there over lunch anyway, but also you can go to an indoor mall or somewhere like that and just take a walk and listen to some podcasts on your phone. You can also dance - there are some videos you can stream if you need help thinking of dances that will get you moving, or even video games like "Just Dance" that will keep you moving.
  • adlenemomant73
    adlenemomant73 Posts: 24 Member
    "Just Dance" that will keep definitely keep me moving9743xs47az8m.jpg
    and jazzercise

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Exercise bike, treadmill, pilates, Leslie Sansome, yoga,
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    I live somewhere where it rains all winter and I don't like gyms so I don't have a membership; I like to walk. If I have a lot of steps to get in, I go to a mall and walk. If I don't and just need to get a couple thousand, I do a walking video at home - like Jessica Smith TV on YouTube, or I put on music I like and just dance. I also use Fitness Blender YouTube videos and do strength training workouts with a medicine ball, dumbbells, resistance bands. Yoga too.

Something is better than nothing so even when I can't get outside, I make sure I'm staying consistent.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    When it's raining out, what exercises do you do indoors? anyone?

I am not a fairweather outdoor sports person. If I was then I wouldn't be doing much outside for much of the year. When I choose or have to be inside, I'll typically get on my bike on a trainer. If it's just raining and not an issue of "the river is too high/too fast/there's too much debris for rowing" or "there are thunderstorms so I will be not be doing much of anything outside whether it be rowing or cycling" I...go outside, because it's just rain.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If it's walking look up walking style workouts on YouTube. There are several "flavors" - Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, Debbie Rocker, Ellen Barrett, etc.

You can find some of these on DVD at your local library or for sale too. Test drive a few. Find something you like. I use Leslie Sansone Just Walk DVDs because they come with a music only option; she's a little too cheerful in the morning.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    I just run in the rain, provided it's just rain and not lightning (I did 7 miles in a downpour this past weekend, and it felt great). If it's too dangerous to run outside, I'll try to shift the run to another day, or skip it if I have to.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Most gyms are rain proof. Rain doesn't change my workout.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    I just run in the rain. The only thing that stops me from being outside is lightning and ice!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I have a variety of cardio exercise equipment in the house. #BeingOld.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member

#Youcan'tbethatoldifyou'reusingahashtag :)
  • Usually I'll do a Popsugar, FitnessBlender or Yoga with Adrienne work-out from YouTube
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I will still go running in the rain, though I'll stay home if there is lightning. If I can't run for whatever reason, I'll usually shuffle around my rest days to make up for it. Otherwise, I do have the VR video game Beat Saber that can keep me moving.
  • aokoye

Why does being old mean being relegated to being inside? #iprobablyrowwithpeopleolderthanyou #theseareabsurd
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

Why does being old mean being relegated to being inside? #iprobablyrowwithpeopleolderthanyou #theseareabsurd

I thought the point was that us oldies had had the time and discretionary income to collect lots of fun indoor fitness toys so that fun, active cocooning was an option.

Why did you assume otherwise? :lol::lol::lol:

#nohashtag
  • aokoye
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

I thought the point was that us oldies had had the time and discretionary income to collect lots of fun indoor fitness toys so that fun, active cocooning was an option.

Why did you assume otherwise? :lol::lol::lol:

#nohashtag

And here I thought the whole point in getting old was your handicap getting bigger ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Unless it’s *really* pouring, I stick my phone in a ziplock bag and go for a run. If my schedule is flexible that day, I’ll try to find a time that has the lowest chance of rain. If it’s a bit cool, I’ll wear a light rain jacket; otherwise, I just wear a baseball cap to keep some rain out of my eyes.

Note that this has only gotten me caught in a hailstorm once. That’s the only time I’ve ever sworn out loud, repeatedly, for two miles.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Well I usually hike or trail run. If it's still raining I still hike or trail run.

But if it's a full day torrential downpour then I might use the treadmill.