over 40-45 ladies what are you doing to accomplish slim toned arms?

Ive been at this for almost 2 months and not seeing the difference I would hope
Im going the Tracey Anderson method arms/3 pound weights....
I tried this system 5 years ago and was pretty happy content with the results
I turned 46 on Saturday and never played sports or have been consistent w working out..what can I do to get slim tones arms?

any advice appreciated
thanks

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Three pound weights aren't going to do much. I lost as much weight as needed and do compound lifts with heavy weights.

But your arms look pretty slim to me.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I am 54 and have been strength training for a couple months and my original goal was to get rid of upper arm "flab" (tricep area) and I am super happy with the results already. I concur that 3 lbs weight is probably too light. I have been doing lat pulldowns, tricep pushdowns, barbell curls, bench press, military press and deadlifts with progressively heavier weights. It is working for me even at my age.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited June 2019
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    Ive been at this for almost 2 months and not seeing the difference I would hope
    Im going the Tracey Anderson method arms/3 pound weights....
    I tried this system 5 years ago and was pretty happy content with the results
    I turned 46 on Saturday and never played sports or have been consistent w working out..what can I do to get slim tones arms?

any advice appreciated
    thanks

Pretty sure Tracy Anderson has no formal training in exercise science or nutrition. Probably not the best program.

Look at a program/information developed by actual professionals, Perhaps "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".

https://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398

Best of luck.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    PullDowns, Bench Press, Military Press and Dips
  • PoesiaSagrada
    PoesiaSagrada Posts: 26 Member
    Working on staying as lean as is healthy for my body and lift weights. I LOVE weight lifting! Started doing it because of my age (ensure the maintenance of bone density), and wish I had discovered it when I was younger and had better collagen. 😁
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Basically lose all the fat and slowly build muscle. Calorie deficit and lift. And lots of push-ups😉
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    The last time I used 3 lb weights was in physical therapy for my shoulder. My purse weighs more than that 😂 I agree with the other posters as far as lifting heavy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    I use 2 kg (4.4 lb) weights when I'm starting out and haven't lifted anything in a while. I agree with the others ... increase the weight. If you're comfortable doing 3 lb, it might be time to try 4 or 5.

I've also started rowing 3 days a week and am noticing a slight difference.

And I'm going to physio run pilates 1 day a week.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Your arms already look slim. If you want them to look more "toned" you will need to build a bit more muscle or "pump" the muscle you currently have in there.

Increase the weight of the dumbbells for starters and maybe look into a different program. Even just on YouTube. Google "dumbbell exercises for arms" and off you go.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I don't want slim toned arms though, I want huge muscular ones. So I do a variety of bicep curls and tricep exercises, plus lots of shoulder stuff, as well as compound lifts that work everything. And blood flow restriction training. So, for example, I will use a light dumbbell but with occlusion straps and for a bazillion reps until my arms feel like they are falling off.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2019
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I don't want slim toned arms though, I want huge muscular ones. So I do a variety of bicep curls and tricep exercises, plus lots of shoulder stuff, as well as compound lifts that work everything. And blood flow restriction training. So, for example, I will use a light dumbbell but with occlusion straps and for a bazillion reps until my arms feel like they are falling off.

BFR is the debil! >:)

Do you think OP will even come back?
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    hellooooo....Ummm yes..LOL... I came back to check responses:)
    I should add profile pic was a few years ago when I was about 8-9 pounds lighter

Will take the responses into account and look at doing some heavier weights/different exercises