JACKFRUIT

Options
joannie92
joannie92 Posts: 82 Member
My new favourite food - jackfruit. 55 calories for a whole tin at morrisons, I've just cooked it as a curry and it's delicious, the Internet says it works in sweet dishes too though?!

Does anyone have any sweet or savoury jackfruit recipes?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I mostly ate these raw on vacation in SE Asia. A typical dessert is sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with jackfruit and sugar syrup.

https://rachelcooksthai.com/jackfruit-sticky-rice/
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    joannie92 wrote: »
    My new favourite food - jackfruit. 55 calories for a whole tin at morrisons, I've just cooked it as a curry and it's delicious, the Internet says it works in sweet dishes too though?!

Does anyone have any sweet or savoury jackfruit recipes?

Pulled bbq jackfruit instead of pork.

Yessss. My favorite application. I also like pulled pork ‘cut’ with jackfruit!!

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try it. Is it easy to use when purchased whole (I think they sell it at my local Asian market) or should I just start with the canned product?
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I had never even come across jackfruit until I travelled India a couple of years back. I was lucky enough to see them on the tree. One place even sold them in packets like potato crisps (they were goooood).

when you find it tinned it can be for savoury food, or sold in syrup for desserts. I made some up like you would stewed apples for a crumble once. Also I cooked some up with onion and chillies and made a spicy samosa filling with it. I have never seen it fresh in the UK (yet), although I have seen it in supermarkets in BBQ sauce.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than fresh jackfruit - not the canned stuff. Never tried making anything with it because it's amazing just on its own :love:
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Moon_Stone wrote: »
    I'm gonna try it. Is it easy to use when purchased whole (I think they sell it at my local Asian market) or should I just start with the canned product?

@lalalacroix
    I’m not sure who you’re asking about what recipe, but if it’s about the Turon, I ve just used canned.

Sorry I'm not asking about a specific recipe. I'm asking for those who have used the whole fruit, if it's easy to basically get to the flesh of the fruit?