Simple question

I'm giving myself 6 months to lose at least 20-30lbs. Do you guys think this is possible?

Replies

• tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    Could it happen...maybe? Will it happen...probably not and would probably not be sustainable after the fact if you did manage it. I am 5'4" and went from 170 to 130 over about 10 months. Then slowly crept back up to 138 and have been trying to lose that 8 pounds and possibly 10 more with an ultimate goal weight of 120. It is a pain when you get down close to your goal weight. You have to weigh and log everything as you have very little wiggle room. Also to note I am vegan but was an overweight vegetarian or vegan for 10 years before I lost weight so that is not a magic bullet.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    [/quote] I've been on the gluten free diet ever since I was little. Eating food with gluten often makes me sluggish and lethargic. The main reason I wanna go on a vegetarian diet is so that I can lose weight quicker. Plus I just feel bad for eating eat.[/quote]

Just to say a) I agree wholeheartedly with the above and b) I'm a veggie. I'm the same height and I've both lost weight and put it on being a veggie. I'm currently my heaviest ever. Calories in <Calories out really works. Regardless of what those consist of (though healthy calories are obviously better than 1200 cals of kit kats... 😋)
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Short answer, no, not safely.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    How much and how fast one can lose weight in a healthy way varies a lit, based on the factors others have mentioned above. The key is to follow a healthy eating plan that you can see yourself following forever. Your body will pretty much determine how that translates into weight loss.

Too often, highly restrictive, aggressive approaches cannot be sustained and people gain the weight back quickly. That said, following a very balanced eating (higher protein with moderate carbs and fat) and exercise plan, I lost 50 pounds in 6 months and am now in my 6th months of maintenance. That actually surprised me, but I found a strategy that worked for me and stayed very consistent. My body just decided to cooperate :smile:
  • NovemberSkye
    NovemberSkye Posts: 26 Member
    Here is a breakdown of the math if it interests you.

To lose twenty pounds in 2 months would equal a deficit of approximately 1,167 calories a day. As a 5'4" woman (pardon me if you are actually a man) who weighs 150lbs and sedentary your BMR is about 1650 calories a day. If you are lightly active you are looking at closer to 1950 (these numbers will vary based on what equation you use).

Let's assume you are lightly active and burn 1950 + exercise. Then IF you ate 1200 calories a day (which I would NOT recommend), you would still have to burn 750 calories a day through exercise. That is A LOT day in and day out. At this rate you would burn out, set yourself up for binging, risk injury, and a host of other issues.

I suggest you shift your focus to long term, lifestyle changes that are sustainable even once you reach your goal weight.