Left over calories

Hey all

I have left over calories for the day 138 to be exact. My macros are met. Is it okay that I haven’t finished all allowed calories? I want to lose weight

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Depends.If you are female and your goal is to eat 1200 calories, then under eating by that amount every day will mean you are likely not getting the basic nutrition your body needs. If your goal is more like 1600 per day, then I don't imagine it would be a problem. And as a one-off, I wouldn't worry about it in any event. It would only become problematic if you are routinely undereating.
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    I try to have a little left over in case I've underestimated any of my daily calories. Today I was under about the same as you are but it's 2 am & I've eaten enough for the day!
  • alung2k3
    alung2k3 Posts: 81 Member
    If your logging is on point and correct, those cals could be a little treat or maybe save them up for something bigger :)

My current favourite being Carrot & Almond cake Mmmm.
  • naildavis
    naildavis Posts: 2 Member
    I seriously struggle with eating 1200 or more calories. I like legit don’t know how or what to eat or keep it down. I know my nutrition is the main reason why I gained weight. And even with me working out and doing cardio I still gain weight. My body is so confused and mind you I was a former collegiate athlete so I have athletic muscle. Any suggestions?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    keenest37 wrote: »
    I try to have a little left over in case I've underestimated any of my daily calories. Today I was under about the same as you are but it's 2 am & I've eaten enough for the day!

I do the same. Even though I use a scale to measure the foods, I like having a little give and take with the macros.
  • margaretteconnor
    margaretteconnor Posts: 2 Member
    My doctor said once in a while it's ok to dip under 1250 calories--like 5 days saving 100 calories a day if you know you're going to a dinner party on Saturday--but as someone else said, under 1200 calories it starts to impact your metabolism negatively. I missed 3 meals this week, so ate <1000/day, 4 days in a row and *gained* 2 pounds. I usually eat 1250-1350/calories a day and lose 1-2 pounds a week depending on exercise.
  • margaretteconnor
    margaretteconnor Posts: 2 Member
    naildavis wrote: »
    I seriously struggle with eating 1200 or more calories. I like legit don’t know how or what to eat or keep it down. I know my nutrition is the main reason why I gained weight. And even with me working out and doing cardio I still gain weight. My body is so confused and mind you I was a former collegiate athlete so I have athletic muscle. Any suggestions?

See if your health insurance covers a nutritionist visit. My old health care provider had one on staff to help with people with weight/diabetes, those kind of problems. It might be worth the time. There is no "one size fits all," so it's figuring out what works for your body. Good luck!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,232 Member
    During the weight loss phase, I focused on eating in a nutritional sound way. I also assumed that it was likely that my neither my CO (exercise) nor my CI were accurate so I was never concerned if my total CI were under a bit. As long as I was not having cravings, had plenty of energy and felt good and was within a couple of hundred on a net calorie basis I was good.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    naildavis wrote: »

Do you mean that you struggle to eat at least 1200, or you struggle to not go over 1200?

If you’re struggling to get up to 1200, the first thing to do is make sure you are using a food scale to weigh all solid food. You may be eating more calories than you realize.

You don’t gain weight from poor nutrition or undereating. Fat gain is caused by consistently eating more calories than your body burns.

If you recently started an exercise routine or vegan working out more intensively than usual, you may also be retaining additional water, which is a normal part of the muscle repair process.