struggling to lose belly weight after kids and menopause

Hello, I am sort of new. I have been off and on with weight issues for 10+ years. The doctor says if I want to watch my grandkids grow up I have better get serious and drop the weight. So here I am again and really trying hard this time.

I am a competitive person and hoping that will work to my advantage. If you are in your 50s or above and know the struggle of losing belly weight after kids and menopause, would love to have you as a friend.

Replies

• lilrebeld
    lilrebeld Posts: 1 Member
    Hello Betty. I feel your pain. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I have severe asthma and have been on antibiotics and steroids most of my life as well as having two babies. Now in my mid 50’s and post menopause the weight saga is no better.

Support and accountability will be the key to your success and if your in I’d like to help you. I know for myself having someone to talk to that shares my struggle is so comforting and encouraging. Know you are not in this alone.

• SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Hi! I can relate to your struggles. I’m 56, post menopausal, and have the belly fat 🙄. I was also told by my doc to get my *kitten* together (cholesterol). I’m an active member, supporter, I log daily, have an open diary and I will never judge you. I’m a firm believer in ‘do you’ however you choose/whatever works best for you. Best of luck to you!
  • juellie62
    juellie62 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Betty! 57 and post menopause. Have been moaning about the weight for years. Tired of whining and ready to do something about it! Soooo hard. Especially in the summer with outdoor parties, barbeques, beer etc. I need to move more, but find every excuse not to. Would love to have some friends to talk about it all with!
  • pennyilene
    pennyilene Posts: 22 Member
    Hi Betty! Im new here. According to my Gyn I’m almost on the other side at menopause at 55. I have struggled with my weight most all of my life. I have lost to my goal weight 3 times only to foolishly deceive myself into thinking I had it whipped and could eat the same as my slim friends do! Yeah, 3 times to learn that lesson. Now I’m older and know better but seems so much harder to lose the fat.
  • bettychk
    bettychk Posts: 5 Member
    You all are amazing. I am so tired of my doctor telling me cholesterol is going up not down. A couple of weeks ago he informed me I had gained 10 lbs every couple of years since I was in my early forties. I know he is right. I have an office job where I sit all day which is not helping. I requested a vera desk for me and I love it, but not sure how sedentary sitting and sedentary standing are any different.

My weekend plans are to work repairing the barn. I am getting a couple of goats in a week or two and need a place to put them until they get comfortable being around me. That plus I have not finished putting up the fence.
  • pennyilene
    pennyilene Posts: 22 Member
    @bettychk
    I’m a full time student, online classes, and sit all day. That is one of the reasons it is hard for me to lose weight. I’ve been active off and on since I was 18 yo (I preferred to read rather than play as a child...still do). At 18, a friend invited me to a dance aerobics class ( Jane Fonda days) and that was the beginning of my love/hate relationship with exercise. I love the feeling after completing a workout but despise getting up to do it! It’s hard to self-motivate! So my exercise has been inconsistent throughout my life. I’m now 55, 40 lbs overweight and feel like a slug. I do try to eat healthy...a lot of fruit and vegetables, fish, chicken, eggs, sometimes dairy in the form of Greek yogurt or string cheese, red meat once a week. No added salt, and I am extremely careful about eating sweet treats. I had my blood work and yearly exam a couple of weeks ago and all my numbers are normal. However, I know it’s only a matter of time before something starts going wrong if I don’t lose the excess fat. I started walking early mornings 3 miles daily 2 weeks ago and lifting weights 2 days a week. I also started weighing my food and tracking it with mfp 7 days ago. I have lost 4 lbs so far. I spend 8-10 hours + sitting and studying everyday. My body began to hurt so much that I could barely concentrate or focus on my work. I knew I had to do something. So I made time for myself. I cut 1 1/2 hours out for me everyday. Also, I take a 5-10 min break after every hour of studying to walk through the house, get more water, step out on the deck for fresh air or pick up my dumbbells for a quick set of curls or whatever. I can’t tell you how much of a difference those small changes have made for me. I don’t know your schedule or what type of workplace your job is located in, but maybe you could possibly slip a set of 5 lb dumbbells under your desk or in a drawer, walk to the bathroom at a quick pace every hour, refill your water bottle, or walk down the hallway and back. Also maybe an after dinner walk if it isn’t feasible to walk before work.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    bettychk wrote: »
    Hello, I am sort of new. I have been off and on with weight issues for 10+ years. The doctor says if I want to watch my grandkids grow up I have better get serious and drop the weight. So here I am again and really trying hard this time.

I am a competitive person and hoping that will work to my advantage. If you are in your 50s or above and know the struggle of losing belly weight after kids and menopause, would love to have you as a friend.

Welcome! These threads might be worth a read for you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

There's also a group here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • bettychk
    bettychk Posts: 5 Member
    I do try to walk during my lunch break for 15 to 20 minutes during the week. Then I work in the yard after supper for about hour. Weekends are spent working in the garden or other farm chore outside for approx. 4 hours each day. Then inside work during the hot part of the day. The belly fat just keeps hanging on. We eat healthy most of the time. There are those times we splurge and eat more calories than we should. Can't be good all the time.